U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2015, 07:59 AM
 
418 posts, read 420,035 times
Reputation: 395

Advertisements

Why does everyone that I encounter in Cbus want to move down south or think they are down south. Does anyone else encounter this? Columbus is a great city but I feel that people need to invest in the city but maybe this is a Ohio thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2015, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
11,799 posts, read 9,729,450 times
Reputation: 10799
It's definitely an Ohio thing, grass-is-greener and all that, mostly due to the weather. It seems like half of native Ohioans move to Florida or Arizona, even though both of those places suck (Miami aside). I don't get it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2015, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,786 posts, read 12,767,534 times
Reputation: 5453
Considering that it continues to grow decently and has positive domestic migration, which most Northern cities lack, obviously not everyone wants to move South/West. Ohio has long had a negative reputation for whatever reason, and the "grass is greener" folks are mostly natives who bought into that idea. Columbus, being in Ohio, has some natives that have also bought into that view.

The good news is that migration from Ohio to other states is on the decline. Down about 71% to Florida and down about 61% to Arizona, for example.

Here are a few maps. The numbers are only for one year, and if I actually added up more recent years, the migration would be even better from most states. These two years are just examples of how things are changing a bit. Negative numbers are states Ohio lost too, positive are obvious those that Ohio gained from.
Attached Thumbnails
Everyone in Cbus wants to be down south?-ohiomigration2005.png   Everyone in Cbus wants to be down south?-ohiomigration2013.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2015, 11:29 AM
 
Location: At my house in my state
637 posts, read 649,974 times
Reputation: 659
I just moved here from Florida, I like it here much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2015, 12:01 PM
 
1,337 posts, read 1,157,793 times
Reputation: 1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Why does everyone that I encounter in Cbus want to move down south or think they are down south. Does anyone else encounter this? Columbus is a great city but I feel that people need to invest in the city but maybe this is a Ohio thing.
Southern Ohio. Yeah, it's close. Washington Court House area is about where things start feeling southern.

I can't say I met many people who specifically wanted to move down south, but they certainly wanted to go somewhere. A lot were sheltered and acted they way they thought a certain type of person would act, which in turn created a living stereotype.

Cleveland was thought of negatively for a long time. Mistake on the Lake and all that, but not so much anymore.

Columbus is the bright area of Ohio and all the people from other parts of the state are coming to make it.

My issue with the city was OSU is just a too dominant part of the culture for a city of that size. I also disliked how many cookie cutter areas there were and chain restaurants/stores. Sprawl's bad. There's a lot of crime for some reason too.

BUT...

If you were to swap out out rapid sports fans/frat types for weird people and OSU football for an indie music scene you've have Austin with better weather (or at least 4 seasons).

For quality of life, amenities, weather, cost of living compared to wages, and especially for raising a family it's pretty good. I do think you need time away before you can see this though.

I'd say it might just sneak into my top 10 cities list (maybe top 20 is more realistic) and I'm not even all that interested in most of those things I mentioned above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2015, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
381 posts, read 485,090 times
Reputation: 524
Having lived in Florida, the only advantage FL has are the low(er) taxes and mild winter.

Everything else is more expensive and it's traffic light/congestion city. And the summers are horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2015, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Summit, NJ
1,388 posts, read 1,273,724 times
Reputation: 1571
Well, people everywhere seem to say this in January...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2015, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Cbus-Ohio- To Florida
80 posts, read 104,560 times
Reputation: 47
I'm just board here and sick of the winters, lack of sunshine..

Fell in love with the small beach town feel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2015, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Dublin, OH
2,359 posts, read 3,304,509 times
Reputation: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Southern Ohio. Yeah, it's close. Washington Court House area is about where things start feeling southern.

I can't say I met many people who specifically wanted to move down south, but they certainly wanted to go somewhere. A lot were sheltered and acted they way they thought a certain type of person would act, which in turn created a living stereotype.

Cleveland was thought of negatively for a long time. Mistake on the Lake and all that, but not so much anymore.

Columbus is the bright area of Ohio and all the people from other parts of the state are coming to make it.

My issue with the city was OSU is just a too dominant part of the culture for a city of that size. I also disliked how many cookie cutter areas there were and chain restaurants/stores. Sprawl's bad. There's a lot of crime for some reason too.

BUT...

If you were to swap out out rapid sports fans/frat types for weird people and OSU football for an indie music scene you've have Austin with better weather (or at least 4 seasons).

For quality of life, amenities, weather, cost of living compared to wages, and especially for raising a family it's pretty good. I do think you need time away before you can see this though.

I'd say it might just sneak into my top 10 cities list (maybe top 20 is more realistic) and I'm not even all that interested in most of those things I mentioned above.

Why would we want Weird People?
I love how focussed we are on the Best University in the country.
Go Bucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2015, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Dublin, OH
2,359 posts, read 3,304,509 times
Reputation: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Da Beach View Post
I'm just board here and sick of the winters, lack of sunshine..

Fell in love with the small beach town feel

Hard to blame you...Ohio's months upon months of dreary gray skies in Winter does suck.

Every place has it's pros and it's cons though to live...just depends what one's priorities and wants in life are as to which place works best for people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top