Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:59 AM

417 posts, read 594,685 times

Advertisements

Why does everyone that I encounter in Cbus want to move down south or think they are down south. Does anyone else encounter this? Columbus is a great city but I feel that people need to invest in the city but maybe this is a Ohio thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 07:22 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
It's definitely an Ohio thing, grass-is-greener and all that, mostly due to the weather. It seems like half of native Ohioans move to Florida or Arizona, even though both of those places suck (Miami aside). I don't get it either.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:44 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Considering that it continues to grow decently and has positive domestic migration, which most Northern cities lack, obviously not everyone wants to move South/West. Ohio has long had a negative reputation for whatever reason, and the "grass is greener" folks are mostly natives who bought into that idea. Columbus, being in Ohio, has some natives that have also bought into that view.

The good news is that migration from Ohio to other states is on the decline. Down about 71% to Florida and down about 61% to Arizona, for example.

Here are a few maps. The numbers are only for one year, and if I actually added up more recent years, the migration would be even better from most states. These two years are just examples of how things are changing a bit. Negative numbers are states Ohio lost too, positive are obvious those that Ohio gained from.
Attached Thumbnails
Everyone in Cbus wants to be down south?-ohiomigration2005.png   Everyone in Cbus wants to be down south?-ohiomigration2013.png  

Old 01-22-2015, 10:29 AM

638 posts, read 978,784 times
I just moved here from Florida, I like it here much better.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:01 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Why does everyone that I encounter in Cbus want to move down south or think they are down south. Does anyone else encounter this? Columbus is a great city but I feel that people need to invest in the city but maybe this is a Ohio thing.
Southern Ohio. Yeah, it's close. Washington Court House area is about where things start feeling southern.

I can't say I met many people who specifically wanted to move down south, but they certainly wanted to go somewhere. A lot were sheltered and acted they way they thought a certain type of person would act, which in turn created a living stereotype.

Cleveland was thought of negatively for a long time. Mistake on the Lake and all that, but not so much anymore.

Columbus is the bright area of Ohio and all the people from other parts of the state are coming to make it.

My issue with the city was OSU is just a too dominant part of the culture for a city of that size. I also disliked how many cookie cutter areas there were and chain restaurants/stores. Sprawl's bad. There's a lot of crime for some reason too.

BUT...

If you were to swap out out rapid sports fans/frat types for weird people and OSU football for an indie music scene you've have Austin with better weather (or at least 4 seasons).

For quality of life, amenities, weather, cost of living compared to wages, and especially for raising a family it's pretty good. I do think you need time away before you can see this though.

I'd say it might just sneak into my top 10 cities list (maybe top 20 is more realistic) and I'm not even all that interested in most of those things I mentioned above.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:46 AM

381 posts, read 642,919 times
Having lived in Florida, the only advantage FL has are the low(er) taxes and mild winter.

Everything else is more expensive and it's traffic light/congestion city. And the summers are horrible.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:18 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,028,006 times
Well, people everywhere seem to say this in January...

Old 01-22-2015, 05:16 PM

80 posts, read 142,291 times
I'm just board here and sick of the winters, lack of sunshine..

Fell in love with the small beach town feel

Old 01-23-2015, 09:25 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Southern Ohio. Yeah, it's close. Washington Court House area is about where things start feeling southern.

I can't say I met many people who specifically wanted to move down south, but they certainly wanted to go somewhere. A lot were sheltered and acted they way they thought a certain type of person would act, which in turn created a living stereotype.

Cleveland was thought of negatively for a long time. Mistake on the Lake and all that, but not so much anymore.

Columbus is the bright area of Ohio and all the people from other parts of the state are coming to make it.

My issue with the city was OSU is just a too dominant part of the culture for a city of that size. I also disliked how many cookie cutter areas there were and chain restaurants/stores. Sprawl's bad. There's a lot of crime for some reason too.

BUT...

If you were to swap out out rapid sports fans/frat types for weird people and OSU football for an indie music scene you've have Austin with better weather (or at least 4 seasons).

For quality of life, amenities, weather, cost of living compared to wages, and especially for raising a family it's pretty good. I do think you need time away before you can see this though.

I'd say it might just sneak into my top 10 cities list (maybe top 20 is more realistic) and I'm not even all that interested in most of those things I mentioned above.

Why would we want Weird People?
I love how focussed we are on the Best University in the country.
Go Bucks

Old 01-23-2015, 09:27 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Da Beach View Post
I'm just board here and sick of the winters, lack of sunshine..

Fell in love with the small beach town feel

Hard to blame you...Ohio's months upon months of dreary gray skies in Winter does suck.

Every place has it's pros and it's cons though to live...just depends what one's priorities and wants in life are as to which place works best for people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus