Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:07 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
The viruses both got through AVG, which were up to date and scanning daily. The first one I assumed came through on an infected email, but I only use webmail now, so there isn't much chance of that happening. Also, the pop up blocker is in place

the 'free trial' version of Norton has turned it into a wallowing pig.
Your computer can become infected as easilly as visiting a website you've visited daily for the last 3 years, just because it was safe, doesn't mean it is now. Reputable sites get hacked on a daily basis to serve out malware, newsweek, whitepages, and many others have been hacked lately. Pop up blockers do absolutely zilch in relation to virus/malware infections, they won't even slow them down.

Norton turns every computer into a wallowing pig, how is that Microasoft's fault?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 08:26 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Your computer can become infected as easilly as visiting a website you've visited daily for the last 3 years, just because it was safe, doesn't mean it is now. Reputable sites get hacked on a daily basis to serve out malware, newsweek, whitepages, and many others have been hacked lately. Pop up blockers do absolutely zilch in relation to virus/malware infections, they won't even slow them down.

Norton turns every computer into a wallowing pig, how is that Microasoft's fault?
I never said Norton was Microsoft's fault, that was a side issue - and the primary issue I have with it, other than the fact that it's there in the first place, is that there is no option to uninstall it. Once that free trial period runs out, it's history. I don't go to sites that haven't been marked as clear by any number of programs - what I had was AVG and Spybot. There are very few sites I visit that are big ones, like Ebay, Amazon, and Facebook. The rest are small, mostly blogs, and a couple of forums like this one. Otherwise, it's financial institutions, I pay my bills on line as much as possible. I really doubt that any hacker would get into a secured bill pay window just to plant a virus, they'd be much more likely to go after funds and identity.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:28 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
If she can't manage the transition from XP to Win7, switching to a completely different OS doesn't sound like a good idea. I find most people who moan at how hard Windows is would rather just blame the OS for everything. I've had people tell me that Windows sucks and they should buy a Mac (because they've heard they're easier to use) when their real problem is that they can't figure out how to operate Yahoo mail.
My point is.........
Mac's don''t really need virus protection. So why put up with Windows that does?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:56 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
MOD NOTE: Lets not get into a Mac vs. Windows tussle here... thanks.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:18 PM

36 posts, read 139,970 times
Like you said, it's personal preference. I was merely stating that the majority of people prefer windows 7. By the way, you can still buy new laptops that still have Windows XP on (e.g. Dell PCs with Windows XP | Dell) so why didn't you just go for that?

Old 08-01-2010, 10:19 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
bleh, I personally would be fine with windows 2000 sp4...thing is current software isn't tuned properly for it... therefore you have windows 7.

Yes I do Like windows 7, I was disappointed with Vista and went straight from xp to 7.

I have tried mac, tons of flavors of linux, but I always come back to windows b/c of the support and knowledge out there for it. Plus well, I've used it since 3.11 for workgroups so... that would be a lot of knowledge thrown away to switch. I still have to use mac from time to time, and xp, or even ssh into a linux box but... would rather just not mess with any of those as my desktop OS.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:17 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I never said Norton was Microsoft's fault, that was a side issue - and the primary issue I have with it, other than the fact that it's there in the first place, is that there is no option to uninstall it.
I've never seen a new computer (and I've seen plenty) not list norton in the list of installed programs that can be removed.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:21 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
I actually like Windows 7 better than previous versions because it is a better OS. It improves on a number of things over XP, and is written to be more efficient so that it will run well on a computer with less power.

That being said, every OS needs a little time to grow on a person. Sometimes, for reasons only known in Redmond, Microsoft changes things from one version of Windows to another. Buttons get moved around; folders get moved. For example, The Windows directory in 95 and 98 was C:\Windows. When Windows NT came out, it changed to C:\WINNT and stayed that way for Windows 2000. Starting with Windows XP, it was back to C:\Windows. They have made changes in the location of the users' profile folders too, as well a changing some things about how profiles work.

Beginning with Windows XP, the Compatibility Mode came into existence, allowing programs to be installed that were written for older versions of Windows. At one point, I was able to install a program written for use on Windows 3.1/Windows 95 and got it to work flawlessly. With Windows 7, you can even install hardware drivers that way.

Some of the things I've noticed that are different using Windows 7 include the function of the Taskbar (the one at the bottom of the screen). There is no longer a Quick Launch, but you can "pin" thing to the bar. Windows Explorer has some underlying differences with previous versions. On my XP machines, I have a program installed that adds a column showing the Folder Size. So far, it has been impossible to write such a thing for Windows 7 because Microsoft has not release the necessary information for programmers to add anything to Explorer.

From the posts I've read in this thread, I think the OP could benefit from a techie geek friend and a copy of Windows 7 for Dummies.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:25 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Windows 7 UI is vastly improved over previous versions of any version of Windows. I can launch any program on my system, quickly and without taking my hands off the keyboard, a much more efficient method than moving to the mouse and drilling down looking for an icon.

Pinning to the taskbar is a great improvement, plus those can be launched quickly from the keyboard.

For those that don't want to learn the enhancements and improvements, I guess sour grapes is what they taste, but those that embrace the improvements, really ignore these rants as cries from the horse and buggy days. Technology is constantly growing and improving, keep up or shut up.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:18 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenone View Post
Like you said, it's personal preference. I was merely stating that the majority of people prefer windows 7. By the way, you can still buy new laptops that still have Windows XP on (e.g. Dell PCs with Windows XP | Dell) so why didn't you just go for that?
I would have, except to do that one has to be able to get on line. All 6 of the computers I looked at before I bought this one were all preloaded with Windows 7, including the really cheap laptop that didn't even have a CD drive. My previous one came from PC Exchange, and I loved it. The really old one came from Egghead - anyone old enough to remember Egghead? They were subsumed by Amazon eons ago, and there aren't any deals there, anymore.

You all seem to keep disregarding the fact that I live in a very small rural town, I'm visually impaired (what I can read most comfortably is a 40 point font) so I can't drive anywhere. I'm limited to what's here or what I can get on line. If I can't get on line, it's what's here, which isn't much. I wouldn't mind getting a laptop, but it would have to be one that I could use a regular monitor and standard keyboard with. I thought a lot about getting a mac, but there are none for sale in this town, period.

The other thing about not being able to see is that when I find a program that works well for me, it's a major PITA to switch to a different version or a different program that supposedly does the same thing. A lot of things become automatic or are intuitive in a particular way, and having to learn to use a new one means I spend a lot of time with my nose plastered to the monitor.

Mensaguy, I have a number of geek/techie friends, but they are all anywhere from 100 to 1,800 miles away, and their phone numbers are all in a document in my computer. Usually, whenever I have a problem, which is rare, I call one of them and they walk me through a solution. Windows 7 for Dummies wouldn't do me any good at all, because I wouldn't be able to read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers