Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 07:38 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I'd love to see a screen shot of this minimize button on Metro apps.
Me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 08:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
There's no minimize button. But you can get it off your screen just like a minimize button would.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:59 PM

354 posts, read 517,968 times
just tried virtual win 8 again.. there's minimize button on start and news app. other apps has none. i did try the one on my youtube link to close wordpad and photo app... not closing for me. alt+tab works -in going back and forth to apps. win logo works in going back and forth to apps, but just the most recent opened app. alt+f4 works - to close an app.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:38 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's no minimize button. But you can get it off your screen just like a minimize button would.
But if you're running a Metro app and hit Start to get back to the Start Screen, you can't see that the program is still running, or see any status updates, without mousing over to the upper left of the screen, then going down. That or Win+Tabbing through them but even that's still just thumbnails. Aero peek was so useful in Win7.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
But if you're running a Metro app and hit Start to get back to the Start Screen, you can't see that the program is still running, or see any status updates, without mousing over to the upper left of the screen, then going down. That or Win+Tabbing through them but even that's still just thumbnails. Aero peek was so useful in Win7.
Yea... I'm not fond of how Microsoft didn't do a better job at making it feel like one consistent experience.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Yea... I'm not fond of how Microsoft didn't do a better job at making it feel like one consistent experience.
Win8 is pretty much the most fragmented, inconsistent experience Microsoft has released. I tell new Win8 users that if something doesn't make any sense, it may not be their fault.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Win8 is pretty much the most fragmented, inconsistent experience Microsoft has released. I tell new Win8 users that if something doesn't make any sense, it may not be their fault.
If you could disable the Metro apps, it would be their best OS to date. Kind of sucks how these apps are killing the OS. If the Metro UI was reserved for just the better start menu, it would have been nice.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
If you could disable the Metro apps, it would be their best OS to date. Kind of sucks how these apps are killing the OS. If the Metro UI was reserved for just the better start menu, it would have been nice.
I have it running in a VM and on my wife's PC. There is definitely some nice stuff in the desktop. But the Start Screen is like constantly being smacked in the face. They've even made searching for common stuff I do take more steps. If I ever put Win8 on my own PC, I'll have to use Start8 or some other Start Menu replacement. I have two 27" high resolution displays. I have no desire to devote one of them to a single thing like email or weather.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:13 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Windows 8 Hell, I've yet to upgrade to Windows 7. You don't throw away your car and buy a new one every time the car manufacturer comes out with a new model. Why upgrade your operating system just because they have something new? Personally I'm only now considering upgrading to Windows 7, from Windows XP due to the fact some applications no longer support Windows XP.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Windows 8 Hell, I've yet to upgrade to Windows 7. You don't throw away your car and buy a new one every time the car manufacturer comes out with a new model. Why upgrade your operating system just because they have something new? Personally I'm only now considering upgrading to Windows 7, from Windows XP due to the fact some applications no longer support Windows XP.
Only reason I am considering Windows 8 is because i will be purchasimg a new computer soon and there is a good chance it will come with that OS,
since they are phasing 7 out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers