Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 08:22 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I was going to wait a while but caved and installed it last night. So far it seems to be OK; just have to get used to it. I kind of liked the start being on the left but it isn't a big deal; I'll get used to it.
You can move it.

I do like the lock screen better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 10:27 AM

12,777 posts, read 14,992,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think I'll wait until it's time for a new computer.

Guess I am too since my computer doesn't have the requirement to upgrade.

Old 10-30-2021, 11:20 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Guess I am too since my computer doesn't have the requirement to upgrade.
Yes...there was a link to a further evaluation in my update section yesterday, and it confirmed mine is not capable of running the new version.

Old 10-30-2021, 12:38 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,517 times
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/...tures-fix-them

Quote:
With Windows 11's UI, Microsoft is like an arrogant chef who, after cooking your dinner, instructs the waiter to remove all the salt and pepper shakers from the table because they don't want you changing the flavor of their dish.

I'd like to try out 11, but none of my old laptops can run it.

Old 11-07-2021, 06:09 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,559,268 times
Talking Windows 11 download

Good morning everyone,

About a week ago an icon appeared on my taskbar(? maybe toolbar, forgot) that when moused over prompts me to click now to download Windows 11. I believe it to be a valid link to Microsoft, as I have Norton Antivirus as well as Microsoft firewall.
My question is, when I click it, are they going to charge me? Will it begin to download without prompting me further? I don't want to pay for it, and I don't want to click without knowing more about it. Before anyone chimes in and tells me to just go to Microsoft website, I'd like to ask if this has happened to anyone here and what they did/thought.
Does anyone already have 11 and like it or not? How similar to 10 is it? Anyone wish they hadn't downloaded it?
Oh, and is there some kind of monthly charge like Microsoft does with some of their other programs?

Anyone who can post and help with valid answers, I thank you in advance.
Stay well all.

Old 11-07-2021, 06:25 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
No, it will not start the download without your approval. It has even options to download now or select more suitable time.
You need to click on to start download.

Also make sure your computer is compatible with Windows 11. Even if you have a GPU capable of accelerating its brand-new desktop, the rest of your PC might not be up to the task.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/...-requirements/
https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-11-pros-and-cons/

Can't answer your other questions. I am still with Windows 10, my desktop runs Win7. Heard that most "improvements" are visual. Not sure if worth the hassle.
You might find some answers here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/comp...dows-11-a.html <<< Going to merge those threads.

BTW: Norton isn't your best security choice.

Last edited by elnina; 11-07-2021 at 06:42 AM..

Old 11-08-2021, 05:15 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
I will wait...
https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-a...ot-yet-anyway/

Old 11-09-2021, 10:35 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
If MS is notifying you then you can run it. They will not notify people that cannot. It is free.

As to your question if anyone has it... uh... maybe read the thread?

Old 11-10-2021, 08:15 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If MS is notifying you then you can run it. They will not notify people that cannot. It is free.

As to your question if anyone has it... uh... maybe read the thread?
Ah...no...they notified me I could not run it.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:31 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
I've used Win11 for a few days, it's not bad but not my cup of tea so far. They make some of the easiest tasks in the past harder.

Such as the right-click context menu, you can't right click on a text file and edit anymore without editing the registry to restore that functionality.

So like Macs, Win11 tries to dumb down on stuff but made it worse imo. If I wanted a dumb down interface I use MacOS, when I want to do work efficiently I need Windows to allow me to control my interface easily.

After a few tweaks I get Win11 to behave like Win10 but the blatant design problem I have is the dock and tool bar is stuck at the bottom. Often I pin the toolbar on the top or the side depending on the form factor, this one design change make Windows like MacOS.

So I'm sticking with Win10 just like most offices until they figure out how to unstick the toolbar and other design problems.

Just like past windows, a good version always follows with a bad version then a good version to replace the complaints.

Win95 - good
Vista - Bad
7 - Good
8 - Bad
10- Good
11- Bad?
12- Good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers