Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 07:56 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Nah. I don't fall for it.

We're focusing too much on the app store. My fault.

It's the MS account they want you to have. To get you solidly into their eco-system. It's not JUST money from the app store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 11:32 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
We're focusing too much on the app store. My fault.

It's the MS account they want you to have. To get you solidly into their eco-system. It's not JUST money from the app store.
In that case, it's not just Windows 11. They've been trying to force people into setting up MS accounts with Windows 10 since it first came out.

I've had a hotmail account for 20 years. They are not making anything on it that I can think of. Same goes for anybody else with an MS account.

As with google, they make money in "other ways". You would have to read their TOS very carefully to pick up on it and even then. For example, google drive. Are the files people store on their cloud, really private? I doubt it. Same goes for email on gmail accounts. They probably scan them for marketing purposes.

Old 11-11-2021, 01:15 PM

I know. And now they are getting even more heavy handed with trying to get you to get that precious MS account.

Once again you bring it back to you. Not talking about you. Just imagine how many people did create a new MS account because of 10. It all comes down to getting more people locked in to MS services.

Old 11-12-2021, 09:19 AM

529 posts, read 491,600 times
I upgraded my laptop to Windows 11 home from 10 last week, and although I was prepared for it with the work around, it never asked me for a Microsoft account, which I do not have. Maybe they changed the requirement.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:39 PM

166 posts, read 96,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
I upgraded my laptop to Windows 11 home from 10 last week, and although I was prepared for it with the work around, it never asked me for a Microsoft account, which I do not have. Maybe they changed the requirement.
Interesting. Did you just click your Update and did you disconnect from internet when upgrading?
Not planning to upgrade just know were complaints about the initial publicity re: need to create Microsoft account.

Fine for folks who need a MS account. But so grateful MS is so concerned about my laptop not meeting requirements that they're scanning it and sending a notification So what's in it for them Just makes me dig heels in further...

Old 11-13-2021, 08:37 AM

529 posts, read 491,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightsider View Post
Interesting. Did you just click your Update and did you disconnect from internet when upgrading?
Not planning to upgrade just know were complaints about the initial publicity re: need to create Microsoft account.

Fine for folks who need a MS account. But so grateful MS is so concerned about my laptop not meeting requirements that they're scanning it and sending a notification So what's in it for them Just makes me dig heels in further...

I went to the Microsoft website and downloaded the Windows install assist, which allowed me to install 11, even though it hadn't showed up in the update yet (my laptop is compatible with 11). Did that, and it asked if I wanted to use a Microsoft account (don't have one), or my local account. I was going to either disconnect the internet, or do the false email which causes it to just ask for a local account, but didn't need to.

I am not sure what would happen if you do not have a local account. I use one to give me a false warm and fuzzy feeling of security.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:20 AM

It seems that if you UPGRADE your existing PC you can get around it. A fresh install or new PC is where it gets to be 'mandatory'.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:23 AM

1,353 posts, read 789,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Both my computers say they qualify to upgrade at no cost to W11.

What do you think? Are you upgrading as it's released?
How did you get this info?

Old 11-16-2021, 08:33 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
How did you get this info?
I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but on my computer when it was time for an update, Windows told me that my computer did not meet the standards for installing Windows 11.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:59 AM

You can manually check here or wait and eventually your pc will alert you.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-windows-11
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers