Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 02:09 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times

Advertisements

Correction:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Of course, that is not something normal users should be doing as it can prevent certain (mainly related) updates from not installing and giving error instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 05:34 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,717,481 times
Quote:
Yup, fresh install = clean install which means during the DRIVE selection screen, you delete all existing partitions and let Windows create the new, default partitions and also format them on the fly. Naturally, this would mean every app, document, setting, etc. will be gone (kinda).

I had to say kind of because, technically there are ways to extract data from previously deleted/formatted drives so if you want to be 100% safe, you have to wipe the drive using a DOD level wipe methods which is typically 3-pass zero fill or encryption. The best would be to wipe the drive and then destroy it physically.

That said, for most everyone, if really needed, a single pass zero fill should be enough.

If you have data that could get you or anyone in real trouble then destroy the drive physically if you are going to use the machine again or donate it.
Gotta give Windows credit, installing a clean copy from a decent USB stick is ~10 minutes onto an SSD these days, from boot off the stick to desktop. I did the 11 upgrade at work on a couple machines and it's not "bad", but I can definitely tell my clean install 11 machine on Autopilot is the more stable one.

That said, NVMe Secure Erase in the BIOS of most modern PC's is a decent way to clear the drive if it's an SSD. Secure enough unless your collection of surveillance files is on there. You can always break it in half if you're really worried about it.

For spinning metal...you can overwrite it of course, but if you want it permanent, destruction is the final word. If you want to have a little fun, a .308 through the platters will ruin it for for good. No recovering from that.

Old 09-21-2022, 07:20 AM

3,648 posts, read 1,602,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Gotta give Windows credit, installing a clean copy from a decent USB stick is ~10 minutes onto an SSD these days, from boot off the stick to desktop. I did the 11 upgrade at work on a couple machines and it's not "bad", but I can definitely tell my clean install 11 machine on Autopilot is the more stable one.

That said, NVMe Secure Erase in the BIOS of most modern PC's is a decent way to clear the drive if it's an SSD. Secure enough unless your collection of surveillance files is on there. You can always break it in half if you're really worried about it.

For spinning metal...you can overwrite it of course, but if you want it permanent, destruction is the final word. If you want to have a little fun, a .308 through the platters will ruin it for for good. No recovering from that.
Yep. Destruction is the only 100% absolute way to 'wipe' a drive clean. I took some old hard drives to the recycle place and watched a grinding machine rips my old drives into small pieces! It's like a giant paper shredder. A hammer works too.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:22 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,356,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Yep. Destruction is the only 100% absolute way to 'wipe' a drive clean. I took some old hard drives to the recycle place and watched a grinding machine rips my old drives into small pieces! It's like a giant paper shredder. A hammer works too.
I did the same with two old hard drives. Took them to local recycling event. They had a rig with long handles that looked like a large nutcracker. They put the HD in and pressed down on the handle, and it crunched. Took it out and it was crushed and bent over almost in half.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:08 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,717,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
SSD's at least make this easier. Break it in half or thirds and you're good

Old 09-26-2022, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
SSD's at least make this easier. Break it in half or thirds and you're good
Actually, that won't really stop anyone with some electronics soldering experience to extract the data.
You break it in half which likely to be at a weak, thin part of the stick. If the silicone chips are intact. Someone can move the data containing chips to an identical drive, solder the chips into their correct spots and boom!

Of course, this is in theory and I am drinking so I could be mistaken!

I am thinking much like CDs and DVDs, putting them in microwave oven might do the trick, especially if you place it on top of a leftover pepperoni pizza!

If the chip is fried, unlike disc based drives, chances of getting data is slim to none.
The firmware being encrypted on newer SSD and NVMe type drives by the vendors which started due to the events that took place back in 2015, makes it exceptionally hard to begin with.

If people are paying premium for data extraction, that is because the process has become increasingly more expensive for companies producing data recovery related products, again due to the backstabbing like event that took place around 2015 and also, there are less places doing hardcore data extraction, heck quite a few shops closed down.

My advice to anyone using chipset based storage in their computer: have a reliable backup in place, preferably cloud and/or local NAS HDD based backup. When SSDs/M.2s start degrading, they still typically work at 100% performance which is a double-edged sword because unless you are checking its health once every 2-4 weeks, you won't know it is dying and when they die, they go out like a light.

Old 09-27-2022, 06:28 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Actually, that won't really stop anyone with some electronics soldering experience to extract the data.
You break it in half which likely to be at a weak, thin part of the stick. If the silicone chips are intact. Someone can move the data containing chips to an identical drive, solder the chips into their correct spots and boom!

I am thinking much like CDs and DVDs, putting them in microwave oven might do the trick, especially if you place it on top of a leftover pepperoni pizza!

If the chip is fried, unlike disc based drives, chances of getting data is slim to none.
The firmware being encrypted on newer SSD and NVMe type drives by the vendors which started due to the events that took place back in 2015, makes it exceptionally hard to begin with.

If people are paying premium for data extraction, that is because the process has become increasingly more expensive for companies producing data recovery related products, again due to the backstabbing like event that took place around 2015 and also, there are less places doing hardcore data extraction, heck quite a few shops closed down.

My advice to anyone using chipset based storage in their computer: have a reliable backup in place, preferably cloud and/or local NAS HDD based backup. When SSDs/M.2s start degrading, they still typically work at 100% performance which is a double-edged sword because unless you are checking its health once every 2-4 weeks, you won't know it is dying and when they die, they go out like a light.
Which is better? Fry them or stick it in the microwave?

Old 09-27-2022, 07:10 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
Quote:

The odds of this working are very slim. If anyone wants my data that bad? They can have it.

Old 09-27-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Which is better? Fry them or stick it in the microwave?
I usually boil them first then fry in the pan as I add sauted nions and red pepper sauce.....oh wait, wrong recipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The odds of this working are very slim. If anyone wants my data that bad? They can have it.
Slim, yes but not impossible. People drill a 3/8" hole in their HDD using a drill but that still doesn't make it impossible. I forgot the magic number of holes but it is probably one more hole than this a-hole can recall.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:53 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Anyone know how to get rid of the Auto fill or Auto populate when you type in the first couple of letters of an email address? Our computer guy tried but couldn't do it, and said to contact our Internet provider. The tech there also used screen sharing but couldn't delete these addresses. He says it might be a Windows 11 problem. He's still working on it.

FWIW, none of those advice links or YouTube videos work that show you how to get rid of spam email addresses that have somehow gotten into a permanent storage--via Auto fill-- and show up every time you want to send an email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers