Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 09:31 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Just set up my mother in laws new Dell with Win11. It does seem a bit better compared to my computer that was updated from 10 to 11.
I said that before, fresh install is quicker and better than upgrade.
I did the upgrade on a very healthy, stable Windows 10 Pro and it took like 45 minutes or so to complete.
I could tell the system wasn't as robust or smooth. Apps seemed a bit glitchy.

A day or so later, I did a fresh install which took like 20 minutes. Windows seemed more stable, apps was a lot snappier and smooth when opening, using, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2022, 09:36 PM

6 posts, read 5,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
A day or so later, I did a fresh install which took like 20 minutes. Windows seemed more stable, apps was a lot snappier and smooth when opening, using, etc.

If I could ask, re your fresh install, did you have to wipe your hard drive, install Win11, then reinstall all your programs/apps? I assume that's it, but just wanted to ask.

Last edited by Jump4it; 03-21-2022 at 10:16 PM..

Old 03-22-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump4it View Post
If I could ask, re your fresh install, did you have to wipe your hard drive, install Win11, then reinstall all your programs/apps? I assume that's it, but just wanted to ask.
Yup, fresh install = clean install which means during the DRIVE selection screen, you delete all existing partitions and let Windows create the new, default partitions and also format them on the fly. Naturally, this would mean every app, document, setting, etc. will be gone (kinda).

I had to say kind of because, technically there are ways to extract data from previously deleted/formatted drives so if you want to be 100% safe, you have to wipe the drive using a DOD level wipe methods which is typically 3-pass zero fill or encryption. The best would be to wipe the drive and then destroy it physically.

That said, for most everyone, if really needed, a single pass zero fill should be enough.

If you have data that could get you or anyone in real trouble then destroy the drive physically if you are going to use the machine again or donate it.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 5,328 times
Thanks, TurcoLoco. Much appreciated.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:32 PM

Sure, my pleasure.

Old 06-30-2022, 05:35 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,517 times
I'm probably going to be putting a new desktop build together in the next 6 months. Any major reasons not to go with Win11? Main apps I run are PC games and Photography apps(lightroom, photoshop, etc)

Old 07-01-2022, 06:53 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Major reasons? No.

Old 09-07-2022, 05:49 PM

This is the best (free) Windows 11 UI hack app I have seen so far (it even resolves the Taskbar issue Vinny was complaining about ):

https://www.startallback.com

Last time I tried "Classic Start", it still wasn't working with Windows 11 but StartAllBack seems to work really well on Windows 11 very similar to Classic Start on Windows 10 system.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:02 AM

3,648 posts, read 1,602,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I built my own PC, but it's kind of basic and really isn't fast enough for Win 11. I use Win 7 64 bit.

I have another case and may build another computer for Win 11.
Same here. I will get 11 when I get a new PC. I will not update my Win 7 64 bit machine to Win 11. Win 7 is very stable. I have updates turned off. I can't remember the last time it crashed. I don't think it ever has. And I often use it to the max, running lots of things at once, installing all kinds of freeware etc.

I have a neighbor with Win 10 and the system was dragging. Turns out it was Defender keeping Disk 0 nearly 100% active. When I turned off Defender it went down to near 0 percent.

Old 09-12-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Same here. I will get 11 when I get a new PC. I will not update my Win 7 64 bit machine to Win 11. Win 7 is very stable. I have updates turned off.
- No one should update their computer to Windows 11 if it originally came with Windows 7 - the main reasons why Windows 11 is not suitable on some of the older machines. Just get a new/newer machine.
- Yes, turning off Windows Updates service, since the support ended, is something every Windows 7 user should have done
- One of the positives sides of Windows 7, newer versions of Windows do not allow users to permanently disable Windows Updates or integrated AV scanner (Windows Defender)

Cannot really be done with Windows 1x unless you manually rename/delete the "Platform" directory in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender" (See screenshot).
Of course, that is not something normal users should not be doing as it can prevent certain (mainly related) updates from not installing and giving error instead.

With each version of Windows, MS has been taking away user's access and control of Windows internals which is something that has always bothered and annoyed me (as a tech).

The above might be ideal for testing environments or VMs which I use it for mainly.
During copying/moving known good data of large amounts to or from the machine, I always disable whatever AV scanner is in use but especially Windows Defender. It can speed things up by tenfold. Besides, compared to even the free version of AVG, Windows Defender is rather useless, imho.
Home users should also stay away from McAfee or Norton. Their home products are pretty much junk.

If you want to pay for an AV scanner, Kaspersky/Nod32, Webroot or even BitDefender are much better but after disabling ads in free version of AVG, it is as good as any other. Its "Boot-time Scan" is still one of the best features and also the most powerful scan method other than booting to an external media to do the scan. I have seen Malwarebytes completely miss the PUPs of various kinds on the machine it was installed and running on yet their own standalone and free "ADWcleaner" actually found and removed entries on those same machines.
Go figure!
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 11-disabling-windows-defender-x.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers