Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 06:05 PM

2,653 posts, read 1,180,067 times

Advertisements

My norton antivirus keeps saying there is software update needed. It won't do autofix. Google says norton is not up to date with windows 11.

It is a nightmare I keep getting shut out of internet access. on the computer with my IP it says internet connected yet I get all these pop ups say nope not getting in. I click on the windows icon, settings, windows update it goes into update complete but still I get bounced out. Lost my banking today and again no internet access. I call my internet provider and it automatically does reboot. Well that worked for a whole 3 minutes.
I called microsoft and I was told turn off everything tv, phone, and computer.

I did and well here I am now, obviously it worked so far.

I hate these updates what was wrong with windows 10?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 08:35 PM

1,097 posts, read 645,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
My norton antivirus keeps saying there is software update needed. It won't do autofix. Google says norton is not up to date with windows 11.
That's an example of an unnecessary program (designed to prevent problems) creating problems. Less could be more by not running it and running Microsoft's antivirus instead.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:24 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Get rid of Norton. I had similar problems with Windows 8.1 It slowed my computer down and I got lots of pop up notifications. Norton uses a lot of space/ram to run. It used to be a good antiviral software but not any more, especially since they acquired Lifelock.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:46 AM

1,353 posts, read 788,896 times
Quote:

Nothing. Microsoft just wants your money.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:59 AM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
No one's forcing you to buy it.

Old 03-11-2022, 06:55 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Plus.. it's free.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:02 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
That is your problem right there, home version of Norton and McAfee are complete junk, imo.
Besides, more than a few times, I have seen them:

- Running without any alerts on systems heavily infected with malware.
- Not running or damaged due to either a current or previous malware infection
- Running on a clean machine but causing severe performance loss, Windows update issues, etc. especially their firewall/browser guard type programs.

Try uninstalling Norton completely, including any settings -if prompted-.
Reboot your machine and try Windows Update again.

If still having issues, run CCleaner and remove all junk and temp files (default program settings would be fine), then open CommandLine by ressing Windows Key and R, then type CMD, hold down CTRL and SHIFT keys and then click OK. CommandLine should be running as "Administrator", type sfc /scannow and press ENTER.
Once done, reboot your computer and try again.

Quote:
I called microsoft and I was told turn off everything tv, phone, and computer.
I am having hard time believing you actually reached MS support and/or that is what they told you.

Quote:
[/quote]
There are many reasons why they push out updates, security updates are the ones they are really adamant about.

Everyone complains about Windows Updates but if you are using a Smartphone, Google and Apply push out updates all the time which often change User Interface and settings but hardly anyone makes a fuzz about it.

Not to be rude but, it is what it is. Whining about it will not change anything!

Old 03-13-2022, 03:21 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Plus.. it's free.
What a waste of money! How do we get a refund?

Old 03-13-2022, 04:43 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Plus.. it's free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What a waste of money! How do we get a refund?

not quite free: (www.fsf.org)

Old 03-15-2022, 05:05 AM

2,653 posts, read 1,180,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
I see you are correct about that as many others here are too. This is new to me in some ways. I am not computer savvy and just recently joined Norton Antivirus. I will remove it and find another antivirus or do as a friend of mine suggested. Drop windows, microsoft and switch to Apple Mac. She said she never has to worry about any viruses with the Apple computer and Mac. Maybe I should try that one.

I never had this problem before so it's really new to me and very frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers