Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:44 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
What's wrong with Norton? Could you recommend a good one? Even if I have to buy it, cause I never have any luck with the ones I find online.

And yes there's a lot of stuff on the add/remove program list, but I'm scared of deleting items that might be important...
I dumped Norton and moved to ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. Much better. You can recreate all features with Freeware, but I'm not sure you can get them to all auto update.

If you decide to remove Norton. let us know. It is rare that a simple Add/Remove will actually get rid of it. Another reason techies dislike it. If it digs into my system so deep that it's own uninstall won't get rid of it without help, why would I want it on my system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
I also like using AVG. Several years ago, Norton would uninstall, require a reboot, then unstall a couple of other programs that ride along with it, like LiveUpdate. Lately, I have removed it from new computers before it was ever used, and still found traces of it. Internet searches show large numbers of people with problems and lack of help from Symantec, commercial programs to remove it, several sites with how-to guides, and links to tools Symantec has created to do this for you. Next time Norton/Symantec shows up on a new machine, I'll consider formatting the hard disk and starting over. Nobody has a right to wreck my computers (except ME, of course!).

Old 08-05-2008, 08:18 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I also like using AVG. Several years ago, Norton would uninstall, require a reboot, then unstall a couple of other programs that ride along with it, like LiveUpdate. Lately, I have removed it from new computers before it was ever used, and still found traces of it. Internet searches show large numbers of people with problems and lack of help from Symantec, commercial programs to remove it, several sites with how-to guides, and links to tools Symantec has created to do this for you. Next time Norton/Symantec shows up on a new machine, I'll consider formatting the hard disk and starting over. Nobody has a right to wreck my computers (except ME, of course!).
I've followed Symantec's own manual un-install process on their website. I think I average about 1.5-2hrs from start to finish.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:15 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
It would be nice of some enterprising code writer could automate the process. I bet people would pay for it.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:58 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
See above
Tek_Freek, thank you so much for taking the time to explain each item. As to your questions, the item reminder is located in SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I am running more than one antivirus, a while ago someone told me to install Avira Antivirus PE Classic. Should I uninstall it? I also have something called Spybot, which I installed very recently, and Ad-Aware SE Personal. There's a SpySubtract program that already came with the computer. Which ones should I keep?

I think I will uninstall Norton, after all you guys are the experts and would know.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:08 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Pick one, but only one, virus protection program. These programs will not play well together. Only one allowed.

Speaking of Only One Allowed, remember that you should only have one popup blocker active at any time. These will also conflict with each other.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Thanks, mensaguy. Got sidetracked. Good advice.

As for reminder I'd just leave it for now. If it's from MS it's likely OK.

You can always take the time to uncheck the box for it later and see if it causes any problems. You're changing enough now that waiting is likely a good idea.

I don't multiple spyware progs is a problem as long as you don't run the scans at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers