Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:19 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times

Advertisements

People, Vista received such bad negative hype before SP1 because of program and driver problems etc. SP1 is great, work with most NEW software. I love using my Vista 64 computer WAY more than my XP Media Center laptop. XP is like the Stone Age! Vista 64 is awesome, especially from MEGA Web Browsing of 18+ sets of tabbed browsers on 6gbs of system memory. XP runs into memory problems for mega web browsing and you often have to restart after it's "leaks" memory / overloads itself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 11:53 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
One problem I ran into that I think I can correct at least I hope I can correct is that I have a scanner, printer fax machine, copy machine that I use religiously. The Vista recognized the printer and I can use that easily but the scanner and the Vista don't communicate. I have to find the original disc and load the program and then hope they will work together because it would suck to have to buy another scanner and then have this other thing that also scans because it has the three other functions that I need.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:03 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
One problem I ran into that I think I can correct at least I hope I can correct is that I have a scanner, printer fax machine, copy machine that I use religiously. The Vista recognized the printer and I can use that easily but the scanner and the Vista don't communicate. I have to find the original disc and load the program and then hope they will work together because it would suck to have to buy another scanner and then have this other thing that also scans because it has the three other functions that I need.
Download Vista-compatible drivers from the web site of whoever made the device. It's their job to write drivers for their product.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
This guy writes scanners drivers. Check it out to see if it works on your scanner and Vista! + gimme Rep points!

VueScan Scanner Software

Old 04-26-2009, 08:48 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Download Vista-compatible drivers from the web site of whoever made the device. It's their job to write drivers for their product.
Awesome, thanks for the info, I figured there had to be an answer like that, I just hadn't looked hard enough.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:29 PM

No, some mfgrs played the "you gotta buy new hardware game so you can use this device with Vista" thing. Canon did not make a Vista Driver for my old scanner so I bought a new Canon MX850 Multifunction printer / scanner / fax / copier device but it was with the total sale price of $159!

Old 04-26-2009, 10:31 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
No, some mfgrs played the "you gotta buy new hardware game so you can use this device with Vista" thing. Canon did not make a Vista Driver for my old scanner so I bought a new Canon MX850 Multifunction printer / scanner / fax / copier device but it was with the total sale price of $159!
Agree...same with HP printers...had to get a new one to scan.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:22 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Agree...same with HP printers...had to get a new one to scan.
It's the old "we already have your money so we're not going to lift a finger to update the drivers" mentality from many big companies, HP in particular. That's one big reason I don't like all in one devices. You spend a lot of money to get a device that does multiple things, then one part breaks or they fail to update the drivers and you have to spend your money all over. I have a separate scanner and laser printer. Windows supports the printer natively and the scanner is still supported by Epson, but only in Vista32, not 64 bit. But hey, its probably 7-8 years old.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:45 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yes, but the fact that Vista tanked on drivers was due to MS's Driver Signing policy and their **** poor ability to push through approvals. The poor release was do to MS, not because of the vendors. You can only do so much with stupid, and believe me, MS has a lot of stupid going around at times.

Look back to HP printer drivers and Win 95 to get an idea of how stupid MS can be. HP drivers were a huge problem for a while, they found the problem, informed MS and MS sat on it. HP wrote the code, submitted it to MS to help them fix the problem and MS still sat on it.

My favorite dealing with MS was being part of a major financial institution, finding a HUGE security problem with one of their products (we had to pull it offline due to risk), informing them of it and having them tell me they would have a fix for it coming in the next SP 5 months out (this was back before SUS and the like).

The point is, don't by into the MS was innocent and those dirty vendors were at fault. Fact is, MS dropped the ball and screwed itself on this deal.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:35 AM

526 posts, read 1,058,787 times
clearly stick with vista on the new, xp on the old...
its as simple as that if you can hold out until june, i believe you will be in the windows 7 window of upgrade like they did with vista.
AND THE DOWNGRADE TO XP FROM 7 IS INSANE!!!!!!!!!! thats why they cant get rid of XP..
its dame near a decade old and has no more use im sorry but it sucks compared to todays hardware/software
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers