Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:40 PM

11,308 posts, read 18,909,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
More stops means slower travel times.
No I meant "it makes sense" in understanding what the person posting was trying to say, I agree more stops doesn't help and actually slows things for everyone.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:25 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,868,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
No I meant "it makes sense" in understanding what the person posting was trying to say, I agree more stops doesn't help and actually slows things for everyone.
Each Stop adds 45 secs to the trip....and this would only affect the locals not the express trains....

Old 06-11-2011, 08:45 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
A stop takes more than 45 seconds but I agree that the state will begin to re-evaluate their train schedule to add express trains so a trip to NY will not be as long. Jay

Old 06-12-2011, 08:53 AM

462 posts, read 737,716 times
We don't need more stations. We need FEWER stations and more parking. These trains take too long as it is. Look, it's not my problem if you don't live near a train station. I payed to live in a town with a station, if you didn't, too bad. That's why my house cost a little more.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:59 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,192,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
We don't need more stations. We need FEWER stations and more parking. These trains take too long as it is. Look, it's not my problem if you don't live near a train station. I payed to live in a town with a station, if you didn't, too bad. That's why my house cost a little more.
You're the one that chose to work in NYC, not us. That's why we're building more stations, dealing with the realities of development and commutes in Southern CT. Besides there hasn't been a new station on the New Haven line in many many decades (I'm tempted to say 7 or 8 decades but I'm not too sure).

~Cheers

Old 06-12-2011, 09:23 AM

680 posts, read 1,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
You're the one that chose to work in NYC, not us. That's why we're building more stations, dealing with the realities of development and commutes in Southern CT. Besides there hasn't been a new station on the New Haven line in many many decades (I'm tempted to say 7 or 8 decades but I'm not too sure).

~Cheers
I have to agree with SVTJAYC here. Cutting down stations and improving parking will improve efficiency greatly. Train Stations in lower FFC in my opinion are TOO close together. Let every town have a main station and close the pheripheral ones. This is supposed to be a train, not a subway.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
I have to agree with SVTJAYC here. Cutting down stations and improving parking will improve efficiency greatly. Train Stations in lower FFC in my opinion are TOO close together. Let every town have a main station and close the pheripheral ones. This is supposed to be a train, not a subway.
Less stations doesn't make sense in the Railroad or Urban Planning world , you need to have a balance of express and local trains. The New Haven line has kept all of its original stations hench why there's so many , but much of CT is built around those stations so to take them out would hurt the region and cause congestion on the roads and highways from ppl. Your also not saving much or addressing the real problem which is aging infrastructure and construction which has the New Haven line down to 40mph in some areas.... The stations along the NHL are spaced a mile to 2 miles apart , the new stations will close the large gaps in the system like the 4 mile gaps , and take pressure off the Main stations like Stamford or South Norwalk.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:23 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,875,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Less stations doesn't make sense in the Railroad or Urban Planning world

That's nice. We don't live in the Railroad/Urban planning world. We live in CT. And in CT, fewer stations with greater capacities makes the most sense.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:12 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
What town is going to want a mega-station in it and all the traffic and congestion it involves? Other than the cities like Norwalk, Bridgeport, New Haven and Stamford, none of the other towns will accept something like you propose. And I do not blame them. More stations mean more options for scheduling trains, parking and reducing the distance people need to drive to get to the mass transit line. Sorry but what you suggest just does not make sense. Jay

Old 06-12-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
That's nice. We don't live in the Railroad/Urban planning world. We live in CT. And in CT, fewer stations with greater capacities makes the most sense.
That really doesn't make sense , you still have to upgrade the New Haven line , so even with less stations your not going to go any faster. You could make the stations limited meaning only a few trains a day like in the City Terminal zone in NYC. The New Haven line upgrade won't be done till 2025 , so your slow till then. I hate when people who no nothing about the Railroad think there ideas would work....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut