Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:33 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
JV...Your decidedly non-PC style always impresses me

I know EXACTLY what you mean.
I figured you'd get lit up, welcome to my world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saliliscool View Post
Okie. I hear this very often in this forum (Jviello did mention this in multiple threads) - That Indians do not contribute to the economy drive of US. And I really wanted to understand what that means. What counts as a contribution to the economy. Does paying federal, state, and local taxes count ? Does paying social security and medicare payroll taxes count (though they are in US for short term and will never use it) .. Does paying sales taxes on goods purchases or paying property taxes indirectly through their rent count .. Does Inventive & scientific contributions count .. Or the only thing that counts is someone offered you $20 bucks for your GPS and did not buy it at price you wanted ..

I will count that as a contribution as well. No matter how frugally you live you will still use goods and services. All this does count.
The flow of money in and out of the economy will be a different discussion. This is a globalized world and this thing is bound to happen. Lets not forget there are pros and cons to right about everything under the sun.
I'll repost what I originally wrote so you can read it again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Same in the Hartford metro.

I too don't have a problem aside from one issue. Many come here on a work visa, keep to themselves, live as frugal as possible, hoard money and then leave back to India. Basically they come here to fill up their pockets, don't contribute much to our society and leave. That's not cool, and it's taking jobs from Americans.

Those that come and assimilate and become productive members of our country, I welcome with open arms.
So lets not paint in broad strokes. No one said ALL, but there are MANY who do live 4-5 to a 1 bedroom apartment and do not hire services, do not put money back into our commerce and society. Just paying taxes - IF any are paid (F J M Q visas are tax free for the most part and there are deductions you and I don't get.) is not contributing to society as you seem to think. It is not contributing MUCH as stated above.

The Extended Stay America in Manchester is pretty much FULL of short term Indo-Asians with no plans to be "American".

And as for your example using my quote, truth be told, I HATE working for most of those folks, because that $300 job really should be $500 or more, and the demand of quality for the minimal cash outlay is just not worth it. I decline many jobs now in that complex and otherwise. I know many others who feel the same way.

"You come today and do work" Uh, no, sorry schedule is full. "Why you not come today, I am having to vacate tomorrow." So I rearrange the world, get out there do the work, and when the bill is presented for the already discounted amount "Can you take more off bill, I was hoping for better service". WHAT? No, pay up and hit the airport. Bye.

Breaking even or making a pittance is not my desire.

Now on the flip side, I have customers that are great people and are here to live and raise their family, own home, run a business etc. Great, welcome.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:38 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
"You come today and do work" Uh, no, sorry schedule is full. "Why you not come today, I am having to vacate tomorrow." So I rearrange the world, get out there do the work, and when the bill is presented for the already discounted amount "Can you take more off bill, I was hoping for better service". WHAT? No, pay up and hit the airport. Bye.
Poor you

Old 08-03-2011, 02:22 PM

24 posts, read 60,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yup.

But, at least in IT, they're not taking jobs at the number some might imagine. Believe it or not it is really difficult to find qualified American programmers and software engineers. The good ones are working. The others.... meh.

American kids don't tend to want to major in Computer Science. If you go to any reputable CS program (I went to the University of Texas, which is a top 5 CS program) usually you will have a high concentration of foreign nationals in the major. You will also see many immigrants and first generation Americans. It's a tough field, and sadly, most American kids can't be bothered. If it wasn't for the immigrants and first-generation Americans, there would be no Americans in CS...

Hence.. .the need for H1B's to fill in the gap.

I'm one of the 'others' and was damn good at it. To broad brush it like that, you have no idea what you're talking about. meh indeed.
H1B's are generally not necessary.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:59 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Quote:
Same in the Hartford metro.

I too don't have a problem aside from one issue. Many come here on a work visa, keep to themselves, live as frugal as possible, hoard money and then leave back to India. Basically they come here to fill up their pockets, don't contribute much to our society and leave. That's not cool, and it's taking jobs from Americans.

Those that come and assimilate and become productive members of our country, I welcome with open arms.
Living here in northern CA, I see the same thing happening. Indians are here on work visas. They severely impersonalize the communities they reside in. They stick to themselves, add absolutely nothing to the social dynamic of the places they live in. The parents don't even allow their kids to bond with others outside their culture at school. Parents at the schools avoid eye contact and communication of any kid with those outside their culture.

The high-tech companies overwhelmingly favor them and this has led to a mass displacement of qualified americans here. I've watched many talented engineers feel forced to leave the area, change careers by going back to school, take positions for which they are overqualified for, or retire early because of this practice. I don't like it one bit. I agree with your sentiments. Sounds like it has been happening in Stamford as well as many places around the country.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Living here in northern CA, I see the same thing happening. Indians are here on work visas. They severely impersonalize the communities they reside in. They stick to themselves, add absolutely nothing to the social dynamic of the places they live in. The parents don't even allow their kids to bond with others outside their culture at school. Parents at the schools avoid eye contact and communication of any kid with those outside their culture.

The high-tech companies overwhelmingly favor them and this has led to a mass displacement of qualified americans here. I've watched many talented engineers feel forced to leave the area, change careers by going back to school, take positions for which they are overqualified for, or retire early because of this practice. I don't like it one bit. I agree with your sentiments. Sounds like it has been happening in Stamford as well as many places around the country.
They avoid eye contact even with each other LMAO

Many a time I say "hello" to other guys who look like me, and they look back at me like I am intruding into their personal space. I'd have thought they would have gotten more outgoing after coming here, but most of the time it ends in embarrassment for me.

The women....... geez, when I tried to flirt, they look at me like I am a perverted nymphomaniac. I can't even hit on them It's taboo. 1 in 35 looks gorgeous, but unfortunately, they are socially under-evolved.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 AM

120 posts, read 167,384 times
Antlered Chamataka

your comment totally cracked me up
I am an Indian living in Dayton OH for the past 4 years. Originally from Bombay, India. My husband has been here for 17 years. I am not sure what kind of Indian folks you have come across. I chat to every store member, restaurant server and anyone who is friendly and strikes up a conversation. Same applies for my husband. We are socially outgoing and have friends who are Americans, Indians, Polish and South Africans. I am thinking that you have come across folks who are socially awkward. Sweeping generalization of the entire Indian Population is unfair in my humble opinion. Regarding Flirting - I have had men who stare at me however they not approach me! Perhaps i send a vibe that i am married and unavailable

Old 08-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioslave View Post
Antlered Chamataka

I am an Indian living in Dayton OH for the past 4 years. Originally from Bombay, India. My husband has been here for 17 years. I am not sure what kind of Indian folks you have come across. I chat to every store member, restaurant server and anyone who is friendly and strikes up a conversation. Same applies for my husband. We are socially outgoing and have friends who are Americans, Indians, Polish and South Africans. I am thinking that you have come across folks who are socially awkward. Sweeping generalization of the entire Indian Population is unfair in my humble opinion. Regarding Flirting - I have had men who stare at me however they not approach me! Perhaps i send a vibe that i am married and unavailable
Maybe they were waiting for someone to introduce them to you

Oh I don't catch those vibes, personally. I have messed with married Indian women in the past

To recount one of bizarre exploits from late 2008 in the Carolinas, I went to a little after-office family party unofficially arranged by co-workers and their friends. It was a nice blend of American, Indian and Chinese families. It was like an outdoors BBQ thing and I was wearing this polo. So, I struck this conversation up with this good looking desi dame.

There were some guys standing around, but we chatted. I didn't know she was married. But anyway, along the long chatter she asked:

"So do you work out?"

"Yeah, how do you know?"

"Your physique explains it"

Now I was still a little beefy then, I wasn't too much of a gym rat, but I did some decent bicep work.

"Well, I try, I am getting there though, I may have to work some protein up"

"No, I think you look fine"

And now, she proceeds to measure the girth of my biceps with her fingers, and says,

"Mmmm... they're good"

Anyway, we all chatted, and a few minutes later she pointed to one of the guys int he group watching the whole spectacle, "this is my husband"

I shook his hand and fled the scene.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Antlered Chamataka

I forgot about this.

Actually, kudos to you and your husband for behaving unlike the rest of the fold. I think you guys are an exception. And I should be too. I'm way too talkative I was brought up in a different environment. I didn't go to an Indian run school until I was 13 or so. I went to a French school. My hometown was a former french colony. So I am heavily spoiled by French influences and excesses. They even have a thing in the rest of the South, they accuse us of "being rude like the French"

You guys are Mumbaikars. Mumbai is like NYC, it's rich in culture and it percolates into the psyche of its people, perhaps, I don't know. But the folks I speak of are the ones with Bangalore as the epicentre, as the latter is like the tech capital or whatever. And now add the horde of Andhra guys into the mix and Tamils and Mallus from down South. You have the perfect medley of individuals where only one thing connects them - being an introvert and secluded from the rest of the society.

They don't open doors. They stare. They don't say Hi. No good mornings. Not even a smile. I go to Indian restaurants and the waiters and owners are some of the rudest SOBs. It's like they take like-looking folks for granted. Except Coromandel in Darien. The guy who runs that place is a good friend of mine, we used to work out in the same Y, and he attends St. John's in Darien at times, where I have been fairly regular. He is extremely friendly, even to Indians. He truly knows how to run his place.

Part of the fact could be that we're christians, and the church fosters a sense of attachment to western values, and I have had access to mingle with the locals, owing to the church. If I weren't going to church, I wouldn't have made so many friends. It's all about the sense of community and it has got to come from somewhere, it never comes for these other Indian people. They never get a chance to mix.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:29 PM

120 posts, read 167,384 times
Antlered Chamataka
OMG! What was she planning on measuring next!! Totally bizzare and awkward I imagine.
How nice to know that you know the word Mumbaikars! I understand regarding the Folks from Andra, Tamils and Mallus. I work for a Staffing Co and I have to deal with them very regularly. Not fun. I find them hard to understand as well. I can imagine the struggle non Indians have. They don’t even smile at us, so don’t take it to heart haha.
I have loads of Catholic friends and truly think that it allows a lot of social interactions. I was schooled in a Catholic school run by strict nuns & miss going to Chruch. The church is my school was beautiful and instilled a sense of calm. Glad to hear that you have at least one good experience interacting with an Indian guy.
PS - Thanks, however, there are lots of us who are an exception All my Indian friends in US are awesome. Well educated, fun and social folks. They sure know how to have a good time!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:48 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Glad to hear that you have at least one good experience interacting with an Indian guy.
I thought he was an Indian guy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut