Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:03 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,744,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioslave View Post
Go figure! Here i am trying to salvage my Indian folks rep! Good One..you had me fooled man which part of India? Duh me..no wonder you knew so much of the different kinds of Indians who have moved here..
Just out of curiosity, I took a walk to the Stamford downtown last night, somewhere in Bedford, near that Italian place where people eat outside, there's also a church in the same area. My God, there was a horde of desi folks sitting in the park. I was like what the.....

I tried to go and speak to a bunch of folks, and as usual, they looked at me like I was intruding..... so there, I'm not taking my statements back The Stamford area desis are socially inept

Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,023,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
What?!?!?! I enjoyed the attention up until her dufus husband showed up. Well, he was already there anyway
Maybe he just liked to "watch".

Old 08-05-2011, 11:54 PM

10,136 posts, read 15,018,984 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, I took a walk to the Stamford downtown last night, somewhere in Bedford, near that Italian place where people eat outside, there's also a church in the same area. My God, there was a horde of desi folks sitting in the park. I was like what the.....
Yes, they are always there in large numbers every evening from mid-Spring to mid-Autumn. I think they live in one of those apartment buildings on the street that leads to the Stamford High School area (the one with the Chase Bank in front of the park and further up the hill is a Yewish Center on the left).

And boy, do they like to stare!! (Or maybe they just like to stare at me? It's possible, I do have an exotic appearance. One time I was at Cove Island Park and a group of Indian guys just stared at me with no end. Lord Almighty, after a while I had to stop taking photos of the birds in the area and leave. I don't know if it was my appearance, which I'm sure they never seen before, or if they were gay, which I'm not.)

Old 08-06-2011, 06:10 AM

27 posts, read 79,884 times
chamatka,

I am so surprised to see this from you. I am assuming you are an indian who grew up in India. Each country is different and has a different culture. I do not remember people being super friendly there and we never go and talk to strangers. I guess it will be like that in most of thr asian countries. ( I have only been to singapore and malaysia, so not sure about other places). I know its different in America, but please dont criticize an entire country and race just because they dont behave like people here. i am sure there are other plus points we have.

Btw, I am an indian living in america for the last 10 years.

Thanks

Quote:
I forgot about this.

Actually, kudos to you and your husband for behaving unlike the rest of the fold. I think you guys are an exception. And I should be too. I'm way too talkative I was brought up in a different environment. I didn't go to an Indian run school until I was 13 or so. I went to a French school. My hometown was a former french colony. So I am heavily spoiled by French influences and excesses. They even have a thing in the rest of the South, they accuse us of "being rude like the French"

You guys are Mumbaikars. Mumbai is like NYC, it's rich in culture and it percolates into the psyche of its people, perhaps, I don't know. But the folks I speak of are the ones with Bangalore as the epicentre, as the latter is like the tech capital or whatever. And now add the horde of Andhra guys into the mix and Tamils and Mallus from down South. You have the perfect medley of individuals where only one thing connects them - being an introvert and secluded from the rest of the society.

They don't open doors. They stare. They don't say Hi. No good mornings. Not even a smile. I go to Indian restaurants and the waiters and owners are some of the rudest SOBs. It's like they take like-looking folks for granted. Except Coromandel in Darien. The guy who runs that place is a good friend of mine, we used to work out in the same Y, and he attends St. John's in Darien at times, where I have been fairly regular. He is extremely friendly, even to Indians. He truly knows how to run his place.

Part of the fact could be that we're christians, and the church fosters a sense of attachment to western values, and I have had access to mingle with the locals, owing to the church. If I weren't going to church, I wouldn't have made so many friends. It's all about the sense of community and it has got to come from somewhere, it never comes for these other Indian people. They never get a chance to mix.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:20 AM

Jviello

I am an indian living here for the past 10 years. But i am not an illegal immigrant, i do pay taxes like everyone else. I am not sure what you mean by " dont contribute to the society". Is it a sin to save money? Ofcourse, we come here to save money. Otherwise why should we leave our family and country and come here? But that's not in any illegal way. I also plan to go back some time, just to be near to my mom who's getting old. I understand your point of view about taking jobs from americans. May be the US government should put restrictions on the visas they issue and control this. But please dont hate us for that and please dont think we dont do any contribution.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Same in the Hartford metro.

I too don't have a problem aside from one issue. Many come here on a work visa, keep to themselves, live as frugal as possible, hoard money and then leave back to India. Basically they come here to fill up their pockets, don't contribute much to our society and leave. That's not cool, and it's taking jobs from Americans.

Those that come and assimilate and become productive members of our country, I welcome with open arms.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:45 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,023,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agopinath View Post
Jviello

I am an indian living here for the past 10 years. But i am not an illegal immigrant, i do pay taxes like everyone else. I am not sure what you mean by " dont contribute to the society". Is it a sin to save money? Ofcourse, we come here to save money. Otherwise why should we leave our family and country and come here? But that's not in any illegal way. I also plan to go back some time, just to be near to my mom who's getting old. I understand your point of view about taking jobs from americans. May be the US government should put restrictions on the visas they issue and control this. But please dont hate us for that and please dont think we dont do any contribution.

Thanks
I never said anything about saving money or being illegal and I don't "hate" anyone.

Being recluse and hording cash and not putting much of anything back into society is NOT contributing. A society does not thrive on just tax revenue.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agopinath View Post
chamatka,

I am so surprised to see this from you. I am assuming you are an indian who grew up in India. Each country is different and has a different culture. I do not remember people being super friendly there and we never go and talk to strangers. I guess it will be like that in most of thr asian countries. ( I have only been to singapore and malaysia, so not sure about other places). I know its different in America, but please dont criticize an entire country and race just because they dont behave like people here. i am sure there are other plus points we have.

Btw, I am an indian living in america for the last 10 years.

Thanks
Hi there, Gopi

I don't know why you're upset, copain. Listen, I don't think I will bundle that with culture and put a dent on the culture's image. I'm Tamil. Tamil culture is all about "hospitality", "affection to strangers" and "camaraderie"

There are poems and hymns about how Tamils are so welcoming and friendly. These people who stare at others, don't speak a word and don't even smile are simply socially inept and handicapped. Period. Much of it lies in closed mindset and same feather flock mentality. Like how the sheep hang out and bleat together, and stand about grazing in a dumb fashion.

Audioslave got it right. She says she tries to make friends. I am the same way. It's more of a personality thing. It's not rocket science, when someone runs into you, SMILE. Or say Hi. Don't just stand there like the wolf whose lamb chops got taken

Now why are the Chinese quite friendly, they are Asian too, right?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I never said anything about saving money or being illegal and I don't "hate" anyone.

Being recluse and hording cash and not putting much of anything back into society is NOT contributing. A society does not thrive on just tax revenue.
It's for this sole reason I have invested a lot in the US stock market, and spend like a drunken sailor.

When you get into a new community there has to be a sense of giving and contribution. Otherwise, you always feel alienated.

When monetary assets continue to leave the United States, it does not help at all. An economy thrives only when there is spending within its perimeters. Indians and Chinese stand the crime of siphoning billions of dollars out of the country over the last decade or so. That's the truth.

I have personally heard chatter about how they will steal all the American money and get out. It's skewed thinking, but that's the mindset of many foreign people, not just Indians.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:34 AM

jviello

Can you let us know how can put back into society? I think we are also contributing to the economy by living here. I invest in stocks, i donate to charity, give food to shelters etc. I have seein my other indian friends also doing this. And i know there are people who dont do this. I think it depends on each person.

Regarding saving money, if you go to india also you can see people doing that....in india, parents save money for kids as they support kids till they get a job. I lived with my mom till i got married and she supportmed me till i got the job. So that "hording cash" is coming from that kind of a scenario.

Jviello, i am not trying to justify anyting here.. Just want to say that each culture is different and I do agree to what you said about us negotating for everything )) couldnt help smiling when i read what you wrote about you did cleaning om those apartments )))

Quote:

Old 08-06-2011, 08:37 AM

Hmmmm. I never thought saving what i earned by working hard is "stealing american money". Interesting to hear this perspective..

Quote:
It's for this sole reason I have invested a lot in the US stock market, and spend like a drunken sailor.

When you get into a new community there has to be a sense of giving and contribution. Otherwise, you always feel alienated.

When monetary assets continue to leave the United States, it does not help at all. An economy thrives only when there is spending within its perimeters. Indians and Chinese stand the crime of siphoning billions of dollars out of the country over the last decade or so. That's the truth.

I have personally heard chatter about how they will steal all the American money and get out. It's skewed thinking, but that's the mindset of many foreign people, not just Indians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut