Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 11:44 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Me too. I don't usually go 80 (though sometimes on an empty 91, I catch myself hitting 78 or 79), but you can tell who is paying attention and who isn't.

This morning, I was driving south on 91 going about 73ish and there was a jackas$ in the left lane who couldn't be going any faster than 50 or 55. There was nobody in the right lane. His overhead light was on and he was busy doing something. That's pretty infuriating, not to mention extremely dangerous. Man, what it took for me to not blare my horn at him.
Agree, but will say that on some of the narrower, curvier parts of the Merritt, 80 means a good chance of sliding off the road.....on 95 the risk going 80 is when you're weaving in and out of cars when it's crowded but moving "highway speed".

But on a very open stretch of 91 or 84 it's doable......(I've had the cruise at just under 75 on occasionon I-84 between Danbury and Waterbury and on I-91 between Meriden and New Haven).

Old 12-16-2011, 12:28 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Just FYI for commuters - 3 accidents on 95 in the Milford/Stratford area.

Northbound: exits 32 and 34.
Southbound: exit 38.

Traffic looks slow.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:29 PM

879 posts, read 1,660,850 times
Quote:
Just FYI for commuters - 3 accidents on 95 in the Milford/Stratford area.

Northbound: exits 32 and 34.
Southbound: exit 38.

Traffic is a parking lot.
I recently got a really appealing job opportunity, but it required commuting from Stratford to Norwalk (right now, I work from home). I'm suddenly feeling really good about not pursuing that for commute reasons.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:37 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
I recently got a really appealing job opportunity, but it required commuting from Stratford to Norwalk (right now, I work from home). I'm suddenly feeling really good about not pursuing that for commute reasons.
It's not a bad commute at all by train. By car, it's not fun, but Norwalk isn't TOO far. It's really the Stamford --> Norwalk stretch that's the absolute worst. It can get sucky in Fairfield too, but not nearly as bad.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
It's not a bad commute at all by train. By car, it's not fun, but Norwalk isn't TOO far. It's really the Stamford --> Norwalk stretch that's the absolute worst. It can get sucky in Fairfield too, but not nearly as bad.
I used to commute Stratford to Westport, and I always figured that if I had to get off at exit 15 or 16 instead of 18, it would extend the commute a lot more than it should considering the actual mileage.

The job is near Merritt 7...I've sent it over to my husband for consideration so he can possibly stop commuting all the way to Stamford!

Old 12-16-2011, 01:19 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
From today...

Old 12-16-2011, 04:03 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
I used to commute Stratford to Westport, and I always figured that if I had to get off at exit 15 or 16 instead of 18, it would extend the commute a lot more than it should considering the actual mileage.

The job is near Merritt 7...I've sent it over to my husband for consideration so he can possibly stop commuting all the way to Stamford!
That wouldn't be that bad of a commute. As kidyankee said, Stamford is another story. That Norwalk>Stamford stretch is horrible. I wouldn't even do it if I lived in Fairfield or Westport. I'd take the train.

At least if you work in Norwalk, you can get off in Westport or Wilton and find some backroads to work. It's very doable from Stratford on all but the very worst days. I mean, if traffic was THAT bad, you could take Exit 18, backroads to 136 and get right into South or East Norwalk. Or if coming from the Merritt, there are other backroads you can finagle with.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That wouldn't be that bad of a commute. As kidyankee said, Stamford is another story. That Norwalk>Stamford stretch is horrible. I wouldn't even do it if I lived in Fairfield or Westport. I'd take the train.

At least if you work in Norwalk, you can get off in Westport or Wilton and find some backroads to work. It's very doable from Stratford on all but the very worst days. I mean, if traffic was THAT bad, you could take Exit 18, backroads to 136 and get right into South or East Norwalk. Or if coming from the Merritt, there are other backroads you can finagle with.
It used to take me 45 minutes to get from Stratford to Westport unless it was school holiday or summer, and it's probably at least another 15 min from exit 18 to Merritt-7.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:46 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
It used to take me 45 minutes to get from Stratford to Westport unless it was school holiday or summer, and it's probably at least another 15 min from exit 18 to Merritt-7.
Really? I've been getting from Milford to Westport in no more than 30 minutes on average for the past 2 years. And I work almost on the Norwalk border. The only exceptions are May and part of June, and back-to-school around September. Traffic acts up pretty bad then. I take backroads starting in Fairfield off the Merritt and it takes me about 35-40 minutes.

Of course, I find the Merritt to be the best option in the morning, and 95 the best in the evening. I barely take 95 in the morning anymore, but even still - 45 minutes is pretty rare for me. FWIW I leave between 8:30-9, depending on the morning and my meetings that day.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:35 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Really? I've been getting from Milford to Westport in no more than 30 minutes on average for the past 2 years. And I work almost on the Norwalk border. The only exceptions are May and part of June, and back-to-school around September. Traffic acts up pretty bad then. I take backroads starting in Fairfield off the Merritt and it takes me about 35-40 minutes.

Of course, I find the Merritt to be the best option in the morning, and 95 the best in the evening. I barely take 95 in the morning anymore, but even still - 45 minutes is pretty rare for me. FWIW I leave between 8:30-9, depending on the morning and my meetings that day.
I wonder how many years ago it took Lintu that long. I think it was much worse before the recession started and there became less commuters on the roads (though I think it's starting to get worse again).

Going from exit 9 Stamford to New Rochelle area around 3:30pm today, got stuck in yet another accident on I-95 between Greenwich and Stamford, this time between exits 5 and 6 (that was going southbound, northbound looked like a parking lot not only where I got on, but all the way down to Pt. Chester).

Funny that Cambium mentioned yet another truck incident, got stuck in that at the end of my trip (darn rubberneckers!) as it started backing up at exit 20 on the Hutch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut