Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:40 AM

57 posts, read 88,361 times

Advertisements

Good to know. Thanks for the quick reply. I know, crime can happen anywhere. But I'm moving to CT from an area that has very low crime, and obviously want to get as close to that same situation as possible. Appreciate the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 09:42 AM

21,764 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruuklin View Post
Good to know. Thanks for the quick reply. I know, crime can happen anywhere. But I'm moving to CT from an area that has very low crime, and obviously want to get as close to that same situation as possible. Appreciate the input.
I think you'll feel pretty safe.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 AM

Stylo or other milfordians, what do you think of the neighborhood along Meadowside, along silver sands park and by walker pond?

Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Stylo or other milfordians, what do you think of the neighborhood along Meadowside, along silver sands park and by walker pond?
Decent area. Mostly working class, small post-war cape-style homes, safe, convenient location.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:19 PM

So guys,
I need one more pep talk here for Milford, if you feel it's appropriate. I plan to sign a lease for us for a little place by Walker Pond on Monday, but I've gotten a bit squeamish just based on the reception Milford gets from most of my new colleagues at my new job in Shelton. It seems like every time someone asks where we're ending up, I tell them Milford, and I get this very mixed reactions. Things like "oh, yeah, um, Milford's, uh, nice, yeah." And I ask what they mean and can't get anything from them except, "no no, it's a nice town". Is there something everyone isn't telling me? I mean, I know it's not Westport, and I work with a lot of people who live in towns like Westport, Darien, New Canaan, Easton. And I know we're going to be renting a place in a more working class part of town (that I'm just praying is safe). But is there something I should know about Milford's history, or it's relationship with other towns in the area? Or is this just a Fairfield County reaction to any town in New Haven County? Just want to be reassured that I'm not taking my wife and little girl to someplace that's not what I think it is. I've been staying in a hotel in Milford for the past 3 weeks and so far I've really liked the town. I've also had to laugh a bit at my colleagues remarking about the commute from Milford going with the traffic, because I haven't found the traffic to be that heavy, and I'm consistently making it to Shelton in 15-20 minutes. But maybe I haven't seen what's prompting these reactions.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:20 PM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I am not sure why your coworkers would question Milford. You are only renting and you can move in a year once you know the area better and find a town that suits you. Milford is middle class. They may have been expecting you to settle in a more upscale town like you originally talked about. If you like Milford so far, I would not hesitate to rent there. It has a lot to offer. Jay

Old 12-17-2011, 09:33 PM

139 posts, read 202,217 times
Milford wins hands down. On the water, has access to both I-95 and Merritt, trains into city. Has shopping, bars, almost every kind of restaurant. Good schools. Safe, suburban, quiet neighborhoods with nice homes. Almost a perfect city, except the distance from city for people who commute to NY. I've lived in this area a long time, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a better town anywhere in the whole region. Trust me - Ive looked hard. Its a small town without lacking any conveniences a big city can offer. I wouldnt hesitate for a moment.
And seriously, Milford to Shelton is not even a commute - I can rollover in my sleep to Shelton. Drive to Stamford or Hartford, THAT's a commute.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:22 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
've gotten a bit squeamish just based on the reception Milford gets from most of my new colleagues at my new job in Shelton. It seems like every time someone asks where we're ending up, I tell them Milford, and I get this very mixed reactions. Things like "oh, yeah, um, Milford's, uh, nice, yeah." And I ask what they mean and can't get anything from them except, "no no, it's a nice town". Is there something everyone isn't telling me? I mean, I know it's not Westport, and I work with a lot of people who live in towns like Westport, Darien, New Canaan, Easton.
No, it's not a bad city, but the reason you are getting this reaction is because it's not in the same league as Westport/Darien/New Canaan/Easton. Those are upscale towns with excellent schools, and Milford is a small blue collar city with schools that are more average. People dress more casually there, not wearing as much designer clothing as you'll find in lower FFC, and you might see more tattooed and pierced individuals in Milford. LOL, nothing against either style of appearance, just stating that there is a difference in locations and styles, and each might look a little sideways at the other's look. Go with where you feel most comfortable. If you liked Milford, you will probably like living there, plenty of people do. Good luck with your move.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:25 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
I plan to sign a lease for us for a little place by Walker Pond on Monday, but I've gotten a bit squeamish just based on the reception Milford gets from most of my new colleagues at my new job in Shelton.

I work with a lot of people who live in towns like Westport, Darien, New Canaan, Easton.
I've personally never particularly cared for Milford, but i have to admit that the majority of my colleagues have chosen it over Stratford and Shelton when it came time to buy a house. Your specific problem with the reaction that you're getting is that essentially you're asking the 1%'ers of the world their opinion.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
So guys,
I need one more pep talk here for Milford, if you feel it's appropriate. I plan to sign a lease for us for a little place by Walker Pond on Monday, but I've gotten a bit squeamish just based on the reception Milford gets from most of my new colleagues at my new job in Shelton. It seems like every time someone asks where we're ending up, I tell them Milford, and I get this very mixed reactions. Things like "oh, yeah, um, Milford's, uh, nice, yeah." And I ask what they mean and can't get anything from them except, "no no, it's a nice town". Is there something everyone isn't telling me? I mean, I know it's not Westport, and I work with a lot of people who live in towns like Westport, Darien, New Canaan, Easton. And I know we're going to be renting a place in a more working class part of town (that I'm just praying is safe). But is there something I should know about Milford's history, or it's relationship with other towns in the area? Or is this just a Fairfield County reaction to any town in New Haven County? Just want to be reassured that I'm not taking my wife and little girl to someplace that's not what I think it is. I've been staying in a hotel in Milford for the past 3 weeks and so far I've really liked the town. I've also had to laugh a bit at my colleagues remarking about the commute from Milford going with the traffic, because I haven't found the traffic to be that heavy, and I'm consistently making it to Shelton in 15-20 minutes. But maybe I haven't seen what's prompting these reactions.

Appreciate your thoughts.
People from those towns you mentioned can be very snobby and look down upon, well, basically the rest of CT. If you don't factor in proximity to NYC (which is a very nice thing), I'd choose to live in Milford over those towns any day of the week. I find it more down-to-earth, friendlier, less pressure-cooker.

Sounds like your co-workers are being typical FFC snobs, honestly. Especially on the traffic?! There's barely any from Milford to Shelton. You should have a straight shot all year unless there's an accident or construction in your way.

Yes, you're looking at a slightly more working class area of town, but not the worst (the area around Naugatuck Ave is the least desirable part of town IMO). Milford is economically diverse, from working class neighborhoods to upper middle and even upper class neighborhoods. But the crime is low (it dropped to 163 in 2010, the national average is 319) and you will be safe. You also have to consider the majority of crime caused in Milford is by outsiders, typically from Bridgeport, West Haven and New Haven. This is a side effect of the large amount of retail in town (which also helps keep real estate taxes in check). The crime in actual residential neighborhoods is VERY low.

You will love the town, I promise. I grew up in an upper-middle class town in northern FFC, more rural, and I love it here. Once you start getting involved with family activities and the warm weather rolls around so you can enjoy events on the green and all the great beaches and parks, you will be enamored. Trust me.

Speaking of which, did you check out the tree lighting or the lamplight stroll on the green? Great winter events, especially for kids. There's also a New Year's thing mainly for kids: Milford Celebrates

Last edited by Stylo; 12-18-2011 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut