Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 PM

42 posts, read 122,774 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm choosing between a couple of job offers right now and one of them is in Bridgeport, CT. I'm originally from a big city on the west coast, but I like New England a lot and I've lived in Boston for a year already. Out of the job offers I've received, the Bridgeport offer pays the most by far ($100,000+) and I like the company culture, so I'm seriously considering Bridgeport even though ordinarily it wouldn't really be my thing...

Can someone give me an overview of the scene and culture in Bridgeport? Is it extremely WASP-y and old money, or is it diverse and/or have an international crowd? I'm Asian and in my 20's, I lean liberal on most politically issues and although I'm not a hipster (not not not!), I kind of do live some aspects of that lifestyle.

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: I'm reading other threads here, but some advice about the cost of living here would be helpful as well. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 PM

Okay, I just did some research on City Data and Urban Dictionary, and Bridgeport is starting sound like a crime-ridden hell hole where babies are beaten, homes are robbed in the middle of day, and everyone gets shot at least once. :/

Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanitycase View Post
Okay, I just did some research on City Data and Urban Dictionary, and Bridgeport is starting sound like a crime-ridden hell hole where babies are beaten, homes are robbed in the middle of day, and everyone gets shot at least once. :/
That's a little overkill.

Likely you'd be working in a perfectly safe part of the city. Black Rock (college-nightlife area of Bridgeport) has a lot of bars and nightlife, little music venues and coffee shops, etc. and is a great part of the city. Downtown is decent - some good restaurants and bars, but does not compare to other CT cities like New Haven and Stamford. Both areas are rather safe. North End is also safe, but quiet and suburban.

You can also, like many people do, live in a surrounding town and commute in. For your wants/needs, I'd consider New Haven (check out 360 State Street), downtown Milford (Spinnaker Apartments and Metro Point), and Black Rock as some top places to consider. Actually it sounds like New Haven might fit you best, especially if you want a diverse crowd and liked the bustle of Boston.

Black Rock and downtown Milford have a very good amount of 20-something orientated nightlife (Milford moreso in the warm months, Black Rock more during fall and spring semesters), and New Haven has a ton - the most in the state. There's also South Norwalk, Stamford, and NYC a short trip away.

With the salary you're talking about, you could have choice of some really great areas/rentals.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:05 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Not quite.

Anyway, New Haven would probably offer the most variety for a single person in their 20's.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. It didn't occur to me that I could commute from another town, but then I keep forgetting how small New England is! I've never been to New Haven - would you say the rental prices compare to Boston or are lower? How about the rental prices in Black Rock?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions and advice. It didn't occur to me that I could commute from another town, but then I keep forgetting how small New England is! I've never been to New Haven - would you say the rental prices compare to Boston or are lower? How about the rental prices in Black Rock?
Lower than Boston by quite a bit. 360 State is one of the nicest apartment complexes in the city, and a decent sized 1BR/1BTH is $2000. You won't see prices much higher than that. Black Rock is comparable to some parts of New Haven. I would say the very nicest parts of New Haven are probably a bit more than Black Rock.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:33 PM

Here's a good site: Daily Nutmeg | New Haven

Old 08-21-2012, 11:34 PM

Thanks!

Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
You don't want to live in Bridgeport.

There are two Connecticut in reality: The affluent suburbs that generally have little to no diversity; And Bridgeport, New Haven, Hartford and Waterbury, which are primarily African American, Puerto Rican and Spanish. These cities, unfortunately, have pretty high crime.

A few roads you can take:
  • If you like affluence and all the amenities that come along with some of the wealthiest towns in America, look southwest of Bridgeport at Fairfield and Westport.
  • If you like your typical middle class lifestyle with a cool downtown and some summer nightlife - and access to lots of big box stores - then look into Milford or maybe even parts of Stratford (can get dicey in some areas so be careful).
  • If you want urban and safe, with a ton of restaurants, college scene (Yale, etc), active year round nightlife and don't mind some traffic, then look into parts of New Haven. Downtown, East Rock, Westville, etc. If you live in Westville or East Rock, you can probably take Route 15 to work over 95 (trust me, it's far better as 95 traffic stinks).
Basically, in much of CT, if it's CHEAP, it's that way for a reason. Though if you're coming from San Francisco, much of central CT will seem pretty affordable (though by national standards, it's very pricey).

Old 08-22-2012, 07:10 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Bridgeport is a large city an dlike any large city, including Boston, it has its good areas and its bad. If you avoid the bad areas, you will be fine. If you don't you could have a problem.

While Bridgeport is big by Connecticut standards, it is not really that large of a city. If you are expecting a city like Boston then forget about it. It is not. It is a former factory city that has seen better days but is changing to reflect the new economy of the country (less manufacturing).

Bridgeport is located in Fairfield County, one of the wealthiest areas of the country. It is becoming an affordable bedroom community and service center for southwestern CT. You will find many young people living there who can't afford New York City or Stamford. Many old buildings downtown are being convert to modern apartments and there are new restaurants and shops opening up all the time. Still it has a ways to go.

If you want a more urban lifestyle like Boston then check into New Haven or Stamford. If you want a more suburban area, Bridgeport has some of the nicest suburbs in the country. Check towns like Fairfield, Trumbull (try to stay north of the Parkway), Stratford, Milford or Shelton. Good luck, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut