Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 03:59 PM

284 posts, read 534,582 times

Advertisements

I've posted several times before about questions re: Westport and Fairfield, but we are now expanding our house search to Trumbull. It's amazing how much of a better/bigger house we can get in Trumbull vs. Fairfield for the same price. I'm not very familiar with Trumbull, though (except for the mall, which is rather unpleasant), and am wondering if anybody could give their $0.02 about Trumbull vs. Fairfield? Does Trumbull have a town center/walking areas/neighborhoods with sidewalks like parts of Fairfield? Does it have good offerings in terms of recreation, restaurants, cafes, etc.? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 04:27 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Trumbull is a great town, but is lacking the walkable town center and quantity restaurants/cafes/etc. It does have plenty of sports recreation opportunities for kids, as well as a very nice park for hiking/biking (Old Mine). Of course you wouldn't have the beaches you have access to in Fairfield. It is a more low key town in general than Fairfield. Fairfield has quiet/less dense sections, but I would say most of Trumbull is pretty quiet.

That said, you are a short drive to Fairfield, Westport, Milford, even New Haven for lots of dining options.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:30 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,976 times
In short, no - that's why it is so much cheaper. Focus on what's imporant to you - if you want a bigger house is a more rural setting - Trumbull is fine - it's close to everything Merritt/Bridgeport/95 but you lack your own downtown/beaches etc. People pay more for Fairfield because you can walk to places on Fairfield Ave - like Pinkberry, Starbucks, Archie Moores. You can run to the beach as part of your morning routine. If you want to have a peaceful place to raise a family - and don't mind driving 10-15 minutes to do everything - Trumbull is perfectly fine.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:32 PM

Hmm, I don't know I would say that's why it's cheaper. It's mostly location. Fairfield has its own train station and is more commutable to Stamford/NYC.

The amenities are certainly a factor in its desirability, but location for commuting is most of it.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:07 PM

879 posts, read 1,661,284 times
Both have great schools (I'd personally choose Fairfield schools over Trumbull, I think). Fairfield has lower taxes -- some of the homes in Trumbull can have very high taxes, so it may even out the score a bit. Fairfield access to the train stations, beach, and cute town center (vs more rural in many parts of Trumbull) help Ffld win out for me, all else being equal.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Schools are both solid enough that it wouldn't even be a factor. I couldn't recommend one school system over another in that case. Fairfield would win out for me too for the reasons you mentioned.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:49 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That said, you are a short drive to Fairfield, Westport, Milford, even New Haven for lots of dining options.
Westport's restaurant scene never impressed me.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:17 AM

879 posts, read 1,661,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Westport's restaurant scene never impressed me.
Mmmm...Tarry Lodge and the Dressing Room...yes please!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:18 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
People pay more for Fairfield because you can walk to places on Fairfield Ave - like Pinkberry, Starbucks, Archie Moores.
There is no Fairfield Avenue in Fairfield. I think you mean Post Road which is Route 1 and Route 130 in Fairfield. The name of Route 130 changes to Fairfield Avenue in Bridgeport. Jay

Old 09-06-2012, 07:23 AM

284 posts, read 534,582 times
I personally actually prefer Westport to Fairfield, and while Trumbull is very nice, it seems to lack the amenities & walkable characteristics of the other towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut