Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,875,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Is it just me, or do you also think that "We Transport" has the dumbest, most oblivious school bus drivers out there? The driver doing pickups on Old Town in Trumbull is going to get punched by some driver(not me) one day.

Hate to say i told you........ Although not cited by police, i'm certain that the actions of the We Transport driver contributed to the unfortunate accident.

Teen struck by car at school bus stop - Connecticut Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,824 times
We are considering a move from Jacksonville, NC to Trumbull Connecticut. Any suggestions on inexpensive places to rent? Also my daughter is getting her degree in Paralegal any good jobs in that area, or building inspectors (my son-in-law) schools (granddaughter going into 1st grade)

Old 07-17-2013, 04:10 PM

642 posts, read 859,481 times
I have lived in Trumbull for over 15 years but I orginally wanted to buy in Fairfield near the beach. Fairfield was a little too expensive so the realtor took me to Trumbull and I loved the area where my house is. I live in Upper Long Hill about 4 blocks away from Tashua which is considered the the best area in Trumbull. I live a few houses away from Main Street and I love it. Almost every other house on Main Street in this area is a historic one. I am in between the Town Hall area and Marissa's Restaurant. I can walk to both shopping areas in about 20 minutes.

Here is what is going to happen in Upper Long Hill where I live. The zoning was changed and there is going to be more stores around the Town Hall area and the Marissa's shopping area. The zoning laws on Main Street were also changed so if you have a historic home you can not change it. That is going to keep the old charm character of the historic homes along Main Street in Upper Long Hill. The plan is to make Main Street a nice walkable historic village from the Town Hall to Marissa's restuarant in Upper Long Hill. I think they are calling it a "Design District" and I am seeing the start of it already. They already tore down some old ugly buildings to make way for the nice new stores that are going to give a little village feel to the area.

After living in Trumbull all these years I like Trumbull better than Fairfield because I feel it is too hectic when I am down in Fairfield. I am always glad to get back to the slower pace of Trumbull. There is also a section in Trumbull called Pinwood Lake. My cousin lives right across from the lake and it is very beautiful there. They have a nice little beach and you can put a little boat (without a motor) on the lake too. There is also a section of Trumbull called Nichols and it is on the National Register of Historic Places. There are some very nice big historic homes in this section also.

Hope that helps. It all depends on what you want. A slower pace in a historic area or a faster pace near more shopping.

Let us know how you make out and how you are finding both of the towns. You really can't go wrong with either town. Almost forgot, Trumbull has great schools which are pretty much on par with Fairfield.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:50 AM

284 posts, read 534,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
Here is what is going to happen in Upper Long Hill where I live. The zoning was changed and there is going to be more stores around the Town Hall area and the Marissa's shopping area. The zoning laws on Main Street were also changed so if you have a historic home you can not change it. That is going to keep the old charm character of the historic homes along Main Street in Upper Long Hill. The plan is to make Main Street a nice walkable historic village from the Town Hall to Marissa's restuarant in Upper Long Hill. I think they are calling it a "Design District" and I am seeing the start of it already. They already tore down some old ugly buildings to make way for the nice
Is there a website tracking these new zoning plans? I'm a huge fan of walkable areas (and the lack of them in Trumbull is what's pushed me more towards Fairfield despite the higher prices), so am very curious to hear more about this.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:29 AM

Here is a story about what is going on. Here is a quote from the story.

Trumbull Plan of Conservation and Development Edges Toward Draft - Government - Trumbull, CT Patch

"The commission also covered the Long Hill Village mixed-use concept. There was talk of expanding it, but Silber cautioned, "I'd like to see what mixed-use property actually looks like before we expand it. The zoning panel had approved the concept for the Green but financial problems have delayed it."

It looks like the economy has delayed our little village a bit. I have been wondering why it is not proceeding. There is a very nice fellow on the Zoning Commision that has great vision and I believe proposed most of the Long Hill Village concept. His name is in the article so I guess it is OK for me to say it on here. His name is Tony Silber.

Here is a web site for "Plan Trumbull". There is a contact page where you can ask questions. I would see if you can "talk" online with Mr. Silber about this as I feel he is the most knowledgeable person on this subject and has the best vision about it. I also think there is a rendering by an artist in the Town Hall showing what the Long Hill Village vision is but every time I am in the Town Hall I forget to look for it. Maybe Plan Trumbull can send it to you if they have a digital copy of it.

Plan Trumbull

BTW, I can't wait for this all to happen as I am a huge fan of a walkable little village too.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:38 AM

I found this on the site for you. Look on pages 6-9. You can see the goals of the village development and maps that show the areas in blue. I live in between the 2 most upper blue circles near the "111" number. Route 111 is Main Street. From my area it is a 20 minute walk to both blue circles. It is going to be great and I am hoping the value of my house goes up because of all of this too.

Go to the tab "Project Documents" then the link for "Booklet 5"

Plan Trumbull

Last edited by CTartist&musician; 07-19-2013 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-19-2013, 02:32 PM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
There has been a plan like that in Brookfield for years that hasn't happened. I think that it's all a great pipe dream, but until developers are dedicated to building this town center - it ain't real. I wouldn't hold out hope for Trumbull becoming an adorable walkable town center like Fairfield.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
There has been a plan like that in Brookfield for years that hasn't happened. I think that it's all a great pipe dream, but until developers are dedicated to building this town center - it ain't real. I wouldn't hold out hope for Trumbull becoming an adorable walkable town center like Fairfield.
They changed the zoning 2 years ago and the changes are already taking place. Around the Town Hall zone a new building is already done that will house doctors offices. A residential house next to that was changed into a veterinary office. In the upper Long Hill area the developers already cleared away houses where some of the new shops for the village will be. They named the shops already but I can't remember them. Marissa's restuarant cleared out the lot near them to build more shops already. North of the 111/25 intersection a new Home Depot went in and there are a line of stores for lease. Across from the Home Depot area new Fitness Edge just opened and there is also going to be a Chips Restaurant and other stores.

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day and it is going to take time for the village to take shape. Trust me on this, it will happen.

All that had happened in 2 years since the zoning changes. Don't under estimate Trumbull. If the people here want something it gets done. We are not Brookfield which is a lovely little town, but they do not want change there like the people in Trumbull do.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:09 PM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
That's just typical suburban commercial, NOT walkable. Certainly not what the OP is dreaming for. Blue Back Square is a walkable development.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:18 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,145,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Beefsteak Charlies!!! Oh yeah! I was spoiled many a time.

Also don't forget the Peppermill. Both great steak and salad bar restaurants. Jay
I remember Beefsteak Charlies. I think I last ate there in 1979. It's a Shake Shack now-- and has been about 37 different restaurants between then and now.

I didn't think anyone under the age of 85 ate at Peppermill.

We actually prefer the restaurant scene in Fairfield. We eat out a lot and find Westport restaurants to be overpriced for the most part. We do a special night at Dressing Room or Whelk every now and again, but prefer Fairfield for an every day scene.

Still going to Archie Moore's and Captain's Pizza after all these years. Something comforting about Captains-- Maybe its the fact that I had my 4th Birthday party there 35 years ago.

Back to the topic at hand-- I think it's hard to say that Trumbull or Fairfield are "better". They're different. Both great towns with strengths and weaknesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut