Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 04:34 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
MONEY and the love of it can be a curse...as a kid I was snooping in my mothers bedroom and saw a wad of cash under the mattress...Yes some people keep things under the mattress...In a quick bold and careless move I took it- yep I robbed my own mother...and off I went..to party for a few days...stayed in a nice hotel and handed out 100 dollar bills to beggars....It was funny- I was old enough to drink - I was in the bowels of the city and the bar tender would beckon me to the phone...The family was attempting to track me down before I blew all the cash...It was hard to live down...fist it was "You stole your dad's tombstone money"- then it was "you took the winter fuel money" - The reality was my mother was just hoarding cash...no harm no foul. Other than the broken trust.
If i was your father, I would've cracked your skull. Thats a pretty disturbing thing to do to your mother at age when you knew better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 04:48 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,018,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
For someone who deals with the scum of the earth on a daily basis, me too. It boggles my mind when people complain about the salary of a police officer, the person they call when they're in need, as if they would rather have them be paid $15/hr with little benefits. You get what you pay for.

I didn't see a thread about the massive quarter-billion dollar insider trading investigation engulfing SAC Capital last week, but when a middle class guy is accused of committing larceny, he's subject to a firing squad.
Its a free market and we can get the same quality for 50K a year. You do get what you pay for and you don't need to pay 110K per year. That is a lot more than 15$ per hour which works out to about 30K per year. THey are getting paid more like 100$ per hour.

The state police are more of a fancy meter maid service.

In my town I would rather pay a teacher 100K per year and get great teachers. I want my kids to learn I don't want to pay state police to give out speeding tickets.

I think insider trading laws are pretty strict. Cops get away with murder on a daily basis.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 PM

719 posts, read 762,475 times
LOL, you people are asking if he has done this before? Stealing and lying are very common human behavior.
Everyday people steal sh1t all the time, what makes you think a cop wouldn't steal? Especially when he has a lot better chance of succeeding and in situations where it would be impossible to be caught.

Like I said, this retard kept the cash in the car. If they never got anything physical evidence, and it was purely the victim's family's accusation, the trooper would have never been charged.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:36 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,871,858 times
Quote:
While they have use of their cruiser 24/7, they're also considered on duty 24/7. If something happens near your home, and an on-shift trooper isn't close, guess who's going?
Uhm.

A Stratford cop.

Irregardless of how many troopers are near my home.

Quote:
I know a trooper who had his wife and daughter in the car, got a call, and was forced to drop them off at a store while he went to the scene. That poor city cop goes home at the end of his shift and forgets about work until the next day.
And how many city cops are regularly held over beyond their shifts due to short staffing or the need for additional manpower to quell a situation? I'm sorry, but boo hoo for the trooper that gets called back once in 20 years.

Quote:
If 20 years of this isn't worth 80k a year, I don't know what is.
For a city police officer, at least 80K for a 20 year vet is acceptable to me. For a suburban officer, a little less than that amount IMHO. And, a state trooper should be compensated less than most suburban officers. JMHO.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:45 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
If i was your father, I would've cracked your skull. Thats a pretty disturbing thing to do to your mother at age when you knew better.
Yes you are right.. I was 18 and my dad had recently passed away. My mother was not the usual or typical woman...it was not like stealing from some frail old lady. She was a powerful matriarch - a very confident and arrogant woman. I learned from the best...I remember later on she wanted to buy one of my paintings...she short changed me...much later when I had kids she gave the babies a hand full of very old silver dollars..she came around one day and retrieved them because she could...No- she would suck the life out of you if she could....She put me to work when I was 10 years old ....She rented out a business that suffered a fire...She took me as a mere boy and handed me a saw and bucket of rusty nails and left me in the ruins for days crying...as if I was supposed to repair the place...No....I don't regret taking her money- I loved her very much.

She was also the type if I had a project going on she would hand me an envelope of cash...usually money she squeezed out of some lonely widower...got the picture...she was a bit of a gypsy.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Uhm.

A Stratford cop.

Irregardless of how many troopers are near my home.
No. If there's a TT crash on the highway, they're not going to call a Stratford cop unless it's to block the on-ramps. They're going to call a trooper. Town cops are very limited as to where they can enforce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
And how many city cops are regularly held over beyond their shifts due to short staffing or the need for additional manpower to quell a situation? I'm sorry, but boo hoo for the trooper that gets called back once in 20 years.
City cops are usually only held over by 2 (MAX) hours until they can order in someone from the next shift. And re trooper, it happens FAR more often than you claim. Think at least once every other week. Fact.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:17 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,018,746 times
Quote:
No. If there's a TT crash on the highway, they're not going to call a Stratford cop unless it's to block the on-ramps. They're going to call a trooper. Town cops are very limited as to where they can enforce.

City cops are usually only held over by 2 (MAX) hours until they can order in someone from the next shift. And re trooper, it happens FAR more often than you claim. Think at least once every other week. Fact.
Then let the Stratford cops ride on the highway.

You are basically saying the state police created a monopoly where only they are allowed to patrol the highway so the taxpayers have no choice but to pay them 110K per year because no one else is allowed on the highways.

You may idolize cops think they have a hard job but the economics don't back any of it up.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:01 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,787,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
MONEY and the love of it can be a curse...as a kid I was snooping in my mothers bedroom and saw a wad of cash under the mattress...Yes some people keep things under the mattress...In a quick bold and careless move I took it- yep I robbed my own mother...and off I went..to party for a few days...stayed in a nice hotel and handed out 100 dollar bills to beggars....It was funny- I was old enough to drink - I was in the bowels of the city and the bar tender would beckon me to the phone...The family was attempting to track me down before I blew all the cash...It was hard to live down...fist it was "You stole your dad's tombstone money"- then it was "you took the winter fuel money" - The reality was my mother was just hoarding cash...no harm no foul. Other than the broken trust.
Did you repay them?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post

In my town I would rather pay a teacher 100K per year and get great teachers. I want my kids to learn I don't want to pay state police to give out speeding tickets.
I don't agree with that. Teaching is not a difficult profession with all kinds of vacation/time off. 90% of the job is classroom management/discipline. TONS of competition for the jobs with high job satisfaction. Absolutely no reason to pay that kind of money.There's a standard curriculum to be taught. Just follow the standards and explain things in a clear and concise manner. I still can't believe they haven't put classroom lectures on dvd. Check out khan academy, which has online lectures on many subjects. It's better than many teachers. The problem with some bad teachers is that they are not good at explaining things simply. Most of the time though perfectly good teachers get blamed for poor performing students in inner city areas. Test results are highly based on the intellectual ability of the students and not the teachers.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,871,858 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Then let the Stratford cops ride on the highway.

You are basically saying the state police created a monopoly where only they are allowed to patrol the highway so the taxpayers have no choice but to pay them because no one else is allowed on the highways.
This.

Many, many times while waiting in a backup on the Parkway due to an accident, i've pondered why, WHY the territory is exclusive to state troopers. When you see a Westport(or whatever town) firetruck sitting at the scene for 15 minutes, and still no trooper, you really have to scratch your head about the logistics. Do we have a state fire department force with exclusive rights to the highways? Of course not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut