Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 03:51 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,988,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Construction only began after Molloy took office and in a down economy, he would have been nuts to turn away hundreds of millions of dollars in construction.
Why would he have been nuts? Are you saying Ct needed to do the busway just to create "make work" jobs even if the R(eturn) O(n) I(nvestment) stunk to high heaven?

That would truly represent to most people exactly what is wrong with government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 04:17 PM

6,154 posts, read 5,123,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Why would he have been nuts? Are you saying Ct needed to do the busway just to create "make work" jobs even if the R(eturn) O(n) I(nvestment) stunk to high heaven?

That would truly represent to most people exactly what is wrong with government.
I'm afraid that's how I perceived the busway as well. "Use it or lose it" in terms of the federal $, ROI be damned. I personally think it should have gone toward a Hartford/Waterbury train line which would then connect to Metro North. The future lies in high speed trains, not high speed buses.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:42 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,496,131 times
Jay,
I understand where you are coming from. It was a 'use it or lose it situation'. For a fact, the money from Florida came specific for the busway (CT portion is $115M and Federal is$ 400M or so). I think they should have done from Waterbury to Hartford or East of the River to Hartford which would have made more sense. The Flatbush Intersection work only cost about $25M (I am familiar with the construction industry in CT) which would be a perfect project. The ROI is going to be terrible. But it's here and nothing can stop it now. To para-phrase Malloy " If the busway doesn't work, it'll be another way in and out of Hartford."

Back on topic...we have two governors now trying to take jobs..CT should be up in arms about this. Who has these guys back?

Old 06-14-2013, 07:29 PM

811 posts, read 1,741,099 times
Looks like the busway will also be an alternative route or the detour for when they start replacing the elevated portion of I-84 in Hartford.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:21 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,728,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I'm afraid that's how I perceived the busway as well. "Use it or lose it" in terms of the federal $, ROI be damned. I personally think it should have gone toward a Hartford/Waterbury train line which would then connect to Metro North. The future lies in high speed trains, not high speed buses.
Agreed. This would have gotten far more usage and, therefore, been more economically sustainable. Apparently we're supposed to be included as a stop on the Springfield-New Haven rail but Ihaven't really heard this as a definite, which is a shame.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 AM

6,154 posts, read 5,123,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Agreed. This would have gotten far more usage and, therefore, been more economically sustainable. Apparently we're supposed to be included as a stop on the Springfield-New Haven rail but Ihaven't really heard this as a definite, which is a shame.
Apparently high-speed rail projects in other parts of the US are not faring much better. There was a piece on CNN last night about $12B having been spent to date on a SFO - LAX high speed train, with groundbreaking yet to take place and the project being downscoped in terms of the 200-mph sections.

It's incredible to see what they have managed to do in this area in Europe & Japan & now even China.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:41 AM

76 posts, read 106,364 times
Californians & Midwesterners are flocking to Texas and seem to love it.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:13 PM

811 posts, read 1,741,099 times
Personally I like being near the action of the NE corridor, and especially being close to NYC. The only other places that I could see being in are Denver as there's some family there and it's really lovely geography out there. Less humidity, but cold and hot swings are similar to CT. Good economy out there as well but more aimed at the tech sector. My 2nd place would be southern Florida. More so in the northern Miamia and Ft. Lauderdale suburbs. The year round warm weather is the biggest draw although I know summer can be a killer. Not bad of a financial services sector there.

Texas is nice to visit but just don't see it being "home."

Old 06-15-2013, 06:01 PM

34,969 posts, read 57,045,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

You are now twisting what I said. You have a long planned and APPROVED project that has Federal funding and is ready to go to construction and you expect him to turn down the project? It would have been political suicide. BUT that is not why the project should go forward. The project went through a very public review process and was not stopped. Hartford has a need mass transit and this is it. Again he would have been nuts to turn it down. Jay

Old 06-15-2013, 06:30 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,988,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are now twisting what I said. You have a long planned and APPROVED project that has Federal funding and is ready to go to construction and you expect him to turn down the project?

A leader would turn down a project without a good ROI. Malloy didn't; therefore DM is not a leader. Why would you not expect your governor to lead?

CC didn't exactly assist his 2016 Presidential aspirations by being friendly with Obama post Sandy, but his state needed aid fast, Obama acted fast, and CC threw politics out the window by leading.

Danny followed-he didn't lead. Expect more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut