Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 05:55 AM

11,309 posts, read 18,916,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

Secondly, the Texas jobs boom has come at a cost-- highest per capita minimum wage ($7.25) jobs are in Texas, schools are underfunded, and access to health care for many is limited and poor. I'm not sure that the cost of jobs needs to be rampant poverty and social problems like you see in Texas.

Finally, oil has gone up 375% since 1998-- something that, I'm sure, didn't hurt the Texas economy and is simply an accident of economics, not prudent stewardship of the Texas economy.
My point exactly (especially the first paragraph above), too bad I need to spread more around to rep ya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 08:33 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,044,307 times
Quote:
Can you imagine the screaming hysteria and outrage if Malloy went to Texas to "recruit"?
lol, go for it. Just how can anyone lure a company here from a more business friendly state to a state like ours? I'd love to see him try.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:59 AM

21,638 posts, read 31,262,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
lol, go for it. Just how can anyone lure a company here from a more business friendly state to a state like ours? I'd love to see him try.
Re-read.

He was not saying that Malloy SHOULD, he was saying IF he did.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,988,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Re-read.

He was not saying that Malloy SHOULD, he was saying IF he did.
It would be a great Saturday Night Live skit if the governor who added massive taxes to a state already ranked among the least business friendly had the gall to even attempt to poach.

Texas Chamber of Commerce heads would be rolling in the aisles.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:11 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,150,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
It would be a great Saturday Night Live skit if the governor who added massive taxes to a state already ranked among the least business friendly had the gall to even attempt to poach.

Texas Chamber of Commerce heads would be rolling in the aisles.
Funny how there is much higher per capita wealth here than Texas. That's funny too. Isn't it?

Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,044,307 times
Quote:
Funny how there is much higher per capita wealth here than Texas. That's funny too. Isn't it?
That probably has little to do with how our state is run. And keep in mind, compare the cost of living here to other places like Texas. Sure, some earn more here, but most if not all of that is meaningless when you factor in cost of living. Home prices, energy prices, food, etc, etc, etc. If we paid the same as other states did but kept our current salaries, thatd be one thing (and awesome) but thats not the case.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:

That is unrelated to why Malloy should not even attempt to poach. If we tracked corps leaving versus coming, DM is negative in jobs growth (discounting organic growth as governing post Great Recession leads to that with no effort). His first concern should be to stop the relo bleeding-which means keeping what Ct has.

When the next governor hopefully reverses the damage caused by Malloy, the spend-a-holic, it would than be prudent to step up the poaching efforts.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:35 AM

What do you think about Gov. Rick Perry's push to attract CT businesses?
Fair Unfair Don't Care

Fair

61%

That shows 61% of respondents are mature. Good to see.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:40 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,496,131 times
Hi, this is my first post and I thought I could shed some light (or at least give my two cents).
I love Connecticut and New England. I own a house in CT and my parents own multiple houses/properties in CT. However, if I had the chance to move (with my current company) or a new company I would do it. Connecticut is becoming too expensive even in the last couple years of owning my house (taxes, oil, insurance, etc.). I hope Perry does come and take all the jobs he can, Malloy and his clan are making this State too expensive. If CT didnt have FFC, we would be Detroit.

and speaking of Malloy, where is he...Atlanta. Sure does seem like he cares about CT. He's just about his agenda.

But need not fear, when gas/taxes/fuel become to expensive we'll have the busway between Hartford and New Britain to take us where ever we want to go.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:21 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,628,727 times
Are there really people who don't think Texas is absolutely godawful? Spent a summer in Ft. Worth, and spent time in the Houston and Corpus Christi areas on business. You'd have to pay me to live there, I wouldn't pay a penny. It could be the cheapest place on earth.

There is literally _nothing_ good about it. Nothing. Perhaps my opinion would moderate with a visit to Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut