Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 08:33 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Which is why I have no inclination to live there.

Texas and Connecticut are at both ends of the extremes as far as anything goes, laizzes faire crony capitalism and excessive government oversight and regulation, respectively. Unless our state find finds a middle ground, we're going to have a hard time portraying ourselves as a state that's inviting to business. I realize that you yourself have had great success here, and that's certainly commendable, but many other people have found CT to be a stifling business climate.
Fair enough. Obviously the complaints about business climate don't come from thin air...

But when I ask people to get specific I rarely get an answer... which is why I default to "business climate" is just a proxy to ***** about taxes and salaries.

So, I ask, what are these stifling regulations? In Texas, anything short of letting businesses treat the world as their personal ATM, regardless of environmental, employee or ecostystemic impact is permissible... I'm not sure that an environment where business is free to do whatever they want in the name of making money is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 11:13 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Fair enough. Obviously the complaints about business climate don't come from thin air...

But when I ask people to get specific I rarely get an answer... which is why I default to "business climate" is just a proxy to ***** about taxes and salaries.
What I see emerging in Texas is a sense that business possibilities are endless. Extreme social conservatism aside, it's a place that seems open to just about anything from a business standpoint. The idea that a person can open their own business, where they get a chance, and they get to pursue what makes them happy, and enjoy a higher take-home pay, seems to be far more enticing in Texas than it is here. In our state, it seems the only reason government is eager to see a new business open is so they can tax it --and tax it heavily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff
So, I ask, what are these stifling regulations? In Texas, anything short of letting businesses treat the world as their personal ATM, regardless of environmental, employee or ecostystemic impact is permissible... I'm not sure that an environment where business is free to do whatever they want in the name of making money is a good thing.
And I agree with you. Nobody is saying there shouldn't be corporate accountability, and in certain businesses in Texas this seems to be happening. Anyone who has read Fast Food Nation and recalls the shady, often illegal practices of the meatpacking giants based out there will know what I mean. You will never hear me cry foul over a large corporation that gets punished for engaging in behavior that creates economic or environmental havoc, and there's definitely a higher probability that this will happen in a state with less oversight. But we shouldn't be treating all businesses this way, and for many people looking to get a first chance, that's how it feels.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:16 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Probably depends on the town. I've been to some beautiful suburbs of Dallas. Just looking at the public school quality and some don't seem too bad. Of course it's not good across the board like much of the Northeast.
Girlfriend went to high school in Southlake and said it was superior to NY and CT schools she went to. Shrug.

Austin seems like a cool place to live too. San Antonio not too shabby, but wicked hot.

Perry is obnoxious, but makes a much better cheerleader for his state than Malloy.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Perry is obnoxious, but makes a much better cheerleader for his state than Malloy.
ANYBODY is a better cheerleader for their state than Malloy. Chris Christie is a better spokesperson for his state than Malloy is for ours. Granted, he's bigger than 4 swing states and he can be an obnixous oaf, but atleast he stands his ground.

He also stepped up to the plate bigtime for his state during Hurricane Sandy, which I give him props for.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
What I see emerging in Texas is a sense that business possibilities are endless. Extreme social conservatism aside, it's a place that seems open to just about anything from a business standpoint. The idea that a person can open their own business, where they get a chance, and they get to pursue what makes them happy, and enjoy a higher take-home pay, seems to be far more enticing in Texas than it is here.
I agree with this--

But the reality is that only 7.1% of Texas' workers are self-employed to 6.5% in Connecticut.

Is this really about a "sense" that you will be happy with a business you own in Texas but not in Connecticut. Is this a public relations problem? Obviously one can succeed or fail in business in either state.

M

Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I agree with this--

But the reality is that only 7.1% of Texas' workers are self-employed to 6.5% in Connecticut.

Is this really about a "sense" that you will be happy with a business you own in Texas but not in Connecticut. Is this a public relations problem? Obviously one can succeed or fail in business in either state.

M
Even if that's true, though, there's something else that needs to be addressed: Most of these new jobs are blooming in urban areas like Dallas and Houston -- and especially Austin and San Antonio. In 2010, the US census indicated that more people live in cities for the first time in history. If this is where the job growth is heading, we should be doing more to get our name out there & I just don't see that happening. So Texas' self-employment is 7.1% -- not a huge margin over us, I agree, but who's to say that won't continue to grow? Also look at cities like Austin and San Antonio vs. say. . . Hartford or New Haven. Yes, yes, I know, we have culture here, too. But guess what? So do they -- are more of it. Without growing to population levels on the grand scale of the ones in Texas, IMO we should also be asking ourselves what else can be done to attract young people here. I don't see that happening to the degree that it should.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 06-11-2013 at 12:34 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 12:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Is it a nice state to be an employee? .
Probably. An employee is dependent on employers to provide jobs. Adding jobs helps employees far, far , far more than employers. I still recall the late 90s; I came to Nashville metro which had 2.8% unemployment. Backfilling positions was a employer nightmare, which inevitably resulted in paying above the budgeted salaries for the position.

Nationally, we have 3 available potential employees per opening. US peaked around 5-1. I do not know the # for Ct or Tn, but my region (Nashville MTSA) is down to about 2, and employers are noticing the change.

So to answer your question-yes, it is better for Texas employees if Perry succeeds. Businesses already there are not likely to agree-unless they get more business from reloed corps. They will see themselves paying more for the same employees.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Without growing to population levels on the grand scale of the ones in Texas, IMO we should also be asking ourselves what else can be done to attract young people here. I don't see that happening to the degree that it should.
I completely agree--

But, then again, I don't hear about young people here going to Texas in overwhelming numbers. NYC and Boston are the major draws. Then, when and if they have the money and opportunity, they come back here.

You're right, the central question is how do we draw and keep young people here. I know in Ffld County, affordable housing might help... But I think this comes down to a PR problem as well...

Old 06-11-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I completely agree--

But, then again, I don't hear about young people here going to Texas in overwhelming numbers. NYC and Boston are the major draws. Then, when and if they have the money and opportunity, they come back here.

You're right, the central question is how do we draw and keep young people here. I know in Ffld County, affordable housing might help... But I think this comes down to a PR problem as well...
You'd be surprised. Austin is definitely a happenin' place for a young person -- and directly antithetical to the conservative mindset that is synonomous with most of Texas. I realize it might not bode well for you personally, and you probably have a better advantage point from which to observe this since you lived in Texas, but it's still a fun place for recent college grads looking to meet people and stay entertained.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:23 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Girlfriend went to high school in Southlake and said it was superior to NY and CT schools she went to. Shrug.
Funny you should mention Southlake...I have family who moved there from Fairfield County and they love it. It is a very nice town and the schools there are comparable to New Canaan, Darien, etc. My cousin actually said some courses are a lot more challenging than similar courses in Weston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut