Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:35 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times

Advertisements

I tried to find the thread we had going which discussed the proposed move of UConn's West Hartford campus to downtown Hartford but could not find it. It appears that UConn has selected the old Hartford Times building adjacent to the new Front Street development for their new home (see The Hartford Courant article below). The building is beautiful and should be preserved and I suppose it will be a great boost to Front Street, still I do have some reservations about this site being selected over others and the ability for it to help further improve downtown. Any thoughts? Jay

Hartford Times Building Backed For UConn Campus Relocation | Real Estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 09:57 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,488,408 times
It is good that UCONN has decided to move downtown. The area might not be the best choice. My thoughts, students that attend the UCONN branch offices are a.) part time students who live at home b.) working professionals that live elsewhere and commute to Hartford for class and then leave. it will be a great addition to this area. The area should come alive with Capital Grille going in and Infinity Hall coming, however; I believe the students that attend do not have that much disposable income in order to "bank" on the students supporting these businesses. Parking will be an issue and so will traffic. And as much as Gov. M wanted to make the busway work for UCONN students it appears it backfired. Access to the college is I-91 (unless you know the backway around Hartford) and the nearest stop is Unions Station (unless you want to get transers on multiple buses). Also, many students attend at night, which means they will have to leave work earlier to get to class (not so much a problem). It is a beautiful building I wish Hooker went in there, I would have attended that facility more.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:29 PM

470 posts, read 1,664,574 times
That’s a good choice for their campus. I would have preferred to see them on the Plaza in the old Traveler's Training Center. I think the reason why they did not choose that location is because they would need to spend too much money to gut the building to build modern classrooms and working space with connectivity and modern features.

This new building will be that. The majority of the building will be brand new. The only old part will be the front of the existing building and probably the few rooms in the old building.

Anyone who thinks the space is too small is wrong. I noticed that comment multiple times in the article comments. There is a good 2 acres behind it of just grass. There is plenty of room for a building and large parking garage to handle all the cars.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:47 PM

21,729 posts, read 28,059,998 times
This is good for downtown Hartford. Unfortunately, without the students living on campus - it won't solve the biggest problem: everyone leaves after-hours.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:32 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
How much is this one going to cost?

Old 06-25-2013, 04:35 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I wonder if they'll alter the route of that widely supported busway.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:40 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,942,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
70 million according to the article.

Front Street has been under "development" for 10+ years now (remember Adrien's Landing, the Patriot's stadium and ESPN zone, to name a few). Does the convention center make a profit, let alone provide an economic boost businesses in the area? Are UConn students going to eat at Capital Grille? Seems like we're spending a lot of money on an area that has never lived up to its promise, and likely never will.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:01 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,488,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
This is good for downtown Hartford. Unfortunately, without the students living on campus - it won't solve the biggest problem: everyone leaves after-hours.
Totally agree.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:14 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
It is a beautiful building I wish Hooker went in there, I would have attended that facility more.
So do we.

I also agree that place will clear out once classes end. But we'll see, I guess. The dye is cast, I hardly see how they're going to renege on it now.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 AM

6,122 posts, read 5,090,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
70 million according to the article.

Front Street has been under "development" for 10+ years now (remember Adrien's Landing, the Patriot's stadium and ESPN zone, to name a few). Does the convention center make a profit, let alone provide an economic boost businesses in the area? Are UConn students going to eat at Capital Grille? Seems like we're spending a lot of money on an area that has never lived up to its promise, and likely never will.
Ironic that you mention Front Street. Looks like it might finally be gaining traction!

Developer: Front Street Finally At 'Tipping Point' - Courant.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut