Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:06 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
In defense of the lady who lived here and moved back to LA, I can see her point. If you've only lived here and never really leave the state you have nothing to compare CT to. I'm amazed for such a forward thinking state how many of it's people haven't been outside it. I think people should know there are other states in this country than CT, NY, MA, CA and FL. That's all I ever really hear about on this forum. If you don't agree with what's said here you are beaten with a wet noodle. I guess that's what the lady was trying to say about the state.
I have yet to meet anyone who has never left CT.

Next, I think the reason why the above mentioned states are often discussed is because of proximity to CT, and transplants from CA. Why would we here in CT discuss Montana or Wyoming? There isn't anyone moving here from those states.

Remember, 1/10 of the nation's population lives in the tri-state area. The majority of the rest live in FL, along the west coast, DC, near Boston, etc. Not in Montana and Wyoming. Naturally we are less likely to be in tune to what's going on out in middle America.

What states would you like us to talk about?

Old 08-23-2008, 09:14 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Not to bash other states- but if CT is 'backwards' what are socially regressive states like Kentucky, Indiana, and Utah?
Sky ... you've been outed on the Indiana forum. You wanna take it outside??? You want socially regressive, I'll give you socially regressive.

Mod Fight!!!

Old 08-23-2008, 10:15 AM

486 posts, read 1,897,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Not to bash other states- but if CT is 'backwards' what are socially regressive states like Kentucky, Indiana, and Utah?

To be perfectly honest I have seen rather unsophisticated people move here from 'big places' and say people here are 'hicks and farmers'- the truth is they fit that mold and are basically insecure and are unable to adapt to the abundant culture Connecticut has- and either unwilling, jealous or unwilling to grasp what CT has to offer.
Socially regressive? That's a bit harsh and very stereotypical don't you think? We have our fair share of people that fit this description, but not all of us hail from the backwoods. Ah, and domergurl, you mind if I take a swing as well?

Old 08-23-2008, 11:03 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
Socially regressive? That's a bit harsh and very stereotypical don't you think? We have our fair share of people that fit this description, but not all of us hail from the backwoods. Ah, and domergurl, you mind if I take a swing as well?
Ah yes

we have a fair share in CT that are regressive- less then there

However as harsh as it may sound- the Laws that are passed- and the environment of those percieved as 'different' here are not so 'harshly' rejected as there.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:24 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
There is no homosexual "lifestyle" JViello. I have many gay friends and no two of them are alike. One played football for St Josephs High in Trumbull, another works at ESPN, a third is now a mechanic, another is a pilot for AA. I went to college with all of 'em.

Before you spout off your grandiloquent opinions, realize that the vast majority of homosexuals have no "homosexual lifestyle." You seem to have an idea that the Gay Pride parades and drag queen bars are what all gays are like. Open your eyes a little and realize that people you come across daily are homosexual, maybe just not out of the closet. I do feel sorry for people who view gays like this.
Before you paint me into some ignorant homophobic box (Is that "progressive" behavior on your part?) let me clarify.

There IS a lifestyle; that is things common to the "group" just as there are things common to Mormons or Jews or Fudementalist Christians and heterosexuals. And no I'm not talking about the extremists you listed above.

I have nothing against "gays'. Never have. I actually worked in many gay night clubs in Florida when in the music scene (I am straight) and delt with many of them in daily "business". People are people. I judge people based on their character.

In fact, to prove my point, I'm a Tammy Bruce supporter. (Tammy Bruce: Biography (http://tammybruce.com/biography.php - broken link)) Why? Because of what she stands for and not her sexual orientation.

But this isn't about "gays", but about "progressive" and "regressive" behavior and how it was wrongly used and portrayed here on City Data.

I for one am insulted that my intelligence has been challenged because I don't support a far left agenda. That's a major problem in this nation - the idea that if you don't agree with someone - belittle and attack them...and it comes far and above from the extreme left vs right.

I for one didn't draw first blood here, but I'll sure as h*ll finish the fight.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Before you paint me into some ignorant homophobic box (Is that "progressive" behavior on your part?) let me clarify.

There IS a lifestyle; that is things common to the "group" just as there are things common to Mormons or Jews or Fudementalist Christians and heterosexuals. And no I'm not talking about the extremists you listed above.

I have nothing against "gays'. Never have. I actually worked in many gay night clubs in Florida when in the music scene (I am straight) and delt with many of them in daily "business". People are people. I judge people based on their character.

In fact, to prove my point, I'm a Tammy Bruce supporter. (Tammy Bruce: Biography (http://tammybruce.com/biography.php - broken link)) Why? Because of what she stands for and not her sexual orientation.

But this isn't about "gays", but about "progressive" and "regressive" behavior and how it was wrongly used and portrayed here on City Data.

I for one am insulted that my intelligence has been challenged because I don't support a far left agenda. That's a major problem in this nation - the idea that if you don't agree with someone - belittle and attack them...and it comes far and above from the extreme left vs right.

I for one didn't draw first blood here, but I'll sure as h*ll finish the fight.
You painted your own picture here. My response to you wasn't left vs right, nor any agendas, it's about respecting people. Your post definitely showed lack of respect toward homosexuals no matter how many nightclubs you worked in. You compared religions, all of which are lifestyle choices, to homosexuals - not a choice.

Fight all you want, but in my mind, you're not gonna win.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
You painted your own picture here. My response to you wasn't left vs right, nor any agendas, it's about respecting people. Your post definitely showed lack of respect toward homosexuals no matter how many nightclubs you worked in. You compared religions, all of which are lifestyle choices, to homosexuals - not a choice.
Who said it's a choice? That may be your opinion and that's fine. Mine is it's not. But even if you want to believe that I'll play along and change what I wrote to "black folks, spanish folks, and keep in heterosexuals" Now what?

You're also saying it's okay to disrespect people of faith, hicks, farmers, and anyone who doesn't fit some far left definition of "progressive" then? That's okay right?

You're being discriminatory and you don't even realize it.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Who said it's a choice? That may be your opinion and that's fine. Mine is it's not. But even if you want to believe that I'll play along and change what I wrote to "black folks, spanish folks, and keep in heterosexuals" Now what?

You're also saying it's okay to disrespect people of faith, hicks, farmers, and anyone who doesn't fit some far left definition of "progressive" then? That's okay right?

You're being discriminatory and you don't even realize it.
You're now putting words in my mouth. Lets focus on the debate at hand instead of dragging new topics in to fit your agenda. Did I not say it has nothing to do with left vs right? Hmm...

Yes it is not a choice. How "regressive" of you not to think so, especially in 2008. But that's another thread.

I must say it is interesting how whenever you try to prove your point, you've been there, done that, experienced this, know them, have this, have that, etc. Do I believe you worked in a gay club? Hell no, not with that attitude.

So thanks for playing along...

Old 08-23-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
You're now putting words in my mouth. Lets focus on the debate at hand instead of dragging new topics in to fit your agenda. Did I not say it has nothing to do with left vs right? Hmm...

Yes it is not a choice. How "regressive" of you not to think so, especially in today's age. But that's another thread.

So thanks for playing along...
So being progressive is taking theories as fact? Hmmm...

Being progressive is supporting attacks on one segment of the population but looking past it for "others". Hmmm...

Interesting. That doesn't sound very "progressive" and forward thinking to me...but what do I know, I'm just a hick farmer clinging to my religion out of fear.

Edit: Since you edited your post - it really doesn't matter to me what you believe, but if you like I can post some pictures of myself building the DJ booth and sound and light system in the Firestone Club in Orlando and then working there as well. The owner Jan would gladly tell you I was there. He hit on me quite a bit actually. I politely said "no". That's the truth. Flat out.

P.S. I was not a person of faith back then either - things change when your eyes are opened to the truth.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I'm just a hick farmer clinging to my religion out of fear.
Again, sticking words in people's mouths. How typical. I haven't gotten the least bit political on this board. You are the one with the agenda here.

And for what it's worth, I find it incredibly childish that you created a thread on the Indiana board asking them if they were backwards, and referring them to Skytrekker. Kudos to you, you're now a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut