Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 12:24 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
First off, San Francisco rent is almost as bad as Manhattan as far as rent. So yeah, nothing in CT quite that expensive. However, it comes close. Stamford is very expensive to rent in. And our suburbs of NYC are as expensive as the affluent suburbs of SF.

Lower Marin County is very similar in real estate costs as lower Fairfield County. I don't know how you could call a town like Darien (where you can barely get a starter home for $800,000) affordable compared to the Bay Area. Or any of those lower Fairfield towns. It's some of the most expensive real estate in the country.

And yes, our property taxes are generally higher. Do some research and you'll see.

"I visited CT once" isn't a very good qualifier. I visited LA once and didn't like what I saw. I visited again and loved some areas. I've been there a dozen times since, and keep learning more about the city and evolving my views on it. It's ridiculous to sum up an entire state of 4 million people based on your one myopic visitation. And to say CT has no farms is an ignorant statement. While we don't have a fraction of the farms we did in the 1930's, the entire state is dotted with them. You can't drive more than 10-15 minutes on just about any northern state route without running into at least one.

As far as your statement on not being cosmopolitan, that's also wrong. CT is a melting pot in many populated areas. Its proximity to large cities, and its mid-sized cities account for much of that diversity. I can drive 15 minutes in any direction and get amazing ethnic food from just about any nationality.

The fact you ate bad Chinese is your own fault. You obviously picked the wrong spot. That could happen anywhere. Some of the best Chinese food I've ever had in my life is right around the corner from me. And I've traveled to many places and eaten at many restaurants, including Chinese in SF - which was mediocre despite being hyped on Yelp (everything in SF seems to be hyped on Yelp).

And for the record, I LOVE San Francisco. But it ain't perfect either. You guys have the weather over us (unless you're the type that likes 4 seasons) and a stunning coast, but that's where the big advantages end.
Well unfortunately real estate prices in desirable bay area towns are well north of million if not in multi million. Not sure if you have paid attention to insane real estate boom in bay area for last couple of years. I just looked into housing prices in New haven area and it's dirt cheap by CA standards.

I almost decided to move to CT in the Ridgefield area but was really turned off by the rural environment and lack of diversity. Of course, I am sure this cannot be generalized to the entire state. But in general it seems everyone there lives out in the woods, with trees all around and huge land aroud their house. I did not see any walkable area at all! This is so different from CA that it almost seems creepy!

Old 08-09-2013, 06:08 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,973,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I visited CT once and the whole place seems like low density semi rural area but without farms.
Not sure what part of CT you visited, but we have plenty of farms here!

Old 08-09-2013, 06:17 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC_Or_Bust View Post
+1

I make slightly less per hour than what I did in CT doing the exact same job, but I bring home much more here. People say the taxes "aren't that different". Bull. It makes a huge difference without a doubt, I would never be able to afford a big apartment like I have in a major city here compared to somewhere in CT if I were making the same money.
+2 I make about the same amount per hour that I would make in CT doing the same exact job and i bring home WAY more in NH then i would in CT.. Taxes are different and eveyone I know from CT notices a major difference when they come to NH to visit. The price of everything up here is cheaper, even our relatively high property tax is comparable with CT's and the quality of life is about just the same.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:45 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:
Well unfortunately real estate prices in desirable bay area towns are well north of million if not in multi million. Not sure if you have paid attention to insane real estate boom in bay area for last couple of years. I just looked into housing prices in New haven area and it's dirt cheap by CA standards.

I almost decided to move to CT in the Ridgefield area but was really turned off by the rural environment and lack of diversity. Of course, I am sure this cannot be generalized to the entire state. But in general it seems everyone there lives out in the woods, with trees all around and huge land aroud their house. I did not see any walkable area at all! This is so different from CA that it almost seems creepy!
It's interesting that you come down so hard on CT, while in your other posts you are pretty disparaging towards the Bay Area.

For example "As a place to live you can't compare these. Santa Barbara is expensive but it's stunning and you get what you pay for. Bay area is way overpriced with ugly run down housing and very hectic and stressful living environment compared to Santa Barbara."

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...barbara-2.html

You also have an interesting characterization of Ridgefield, and I'm not even sure you actually stepped foot in town. While there are a multitude of large wooded lots North and South of town, the downtown is vibrant, walk-able and filled with non-chain stores and restaurants. Prototypical NE town. There are also many SFH within close proximity to downtown if that is more to your liking.

I for one enjoy my privacy and having more land than a postage stamp. Bay Area RE is more than CT for the time being, but it also a very "bubble-y" area. I remember the last time prices rivaled today and what ensued in 2001-2003. The old case of I've seen this movie before.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:30 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Why does everyone say CT is expensive? I live in San Francisco and compared to bay area even the expensive towns of CT seems affordable! The state taxes are also a lot lower compared to CA. Or are the property taxes sky high?

I visited CT once and the whole place seems like low density semi rural area but without farms. The towns look very boring and isolated. Compared to densely populated urban areas of CA, most of CT looks kind of creepy. I also noticed it's very homogenous population and I assume not cosmopolitan at all. I had the worst chinese food of my life there. You can't pay someone in CA to cook so bad-
Being very familiar with the Bay area where my wife is from and in-laws still live...I'll agree with your first paragraph.

But the second paragraph is terribly off-base. I'm not sure where in CT you visited. The towns, even the "rural" ones for example in the NW corner, are very cosmopolitan, tolerant of diversity (all kinds...not just racial), and have gourmet cuisine. My wife who grew up in CA does not find anything lacking here (yes, except for the weather...per Stylo's comment).

Old 08-09-2013, 08:34 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
It's interesting that you come down so hard on CT, while in your other posts you are pretty disparaging towards the Bay Area.

For example "As a place to live you can't compare these. Santa Barbara is expensive but it's stunning and you get what you pay for. Bay area is way overpriced with ugly run down housing and very hectic and stressful living environment compared to Santa Barbara."

You also have an interesting characterization of Ridgefield, and I'm not even sure you actually stepped foot in town. While there are a multitude of large wooded lots North and South of town, the downtown is vibrant, walk-able and filled with non-chain stores and restaurants. Prototypical NE town. There are also many SFH within close proximity to downtown if that is more to your liking.

I for one enjoy my privacy and having more land than a postage stamp. Bay Area RE is more than CT for the time being, but it also a very "bubble-y" area. I remember the last time prices rivaled today and what ensued in 2001-2003. The old case of I've seen this movie before.
My thoughts exactly. Jay

Old 08-09-2013, 09:15 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post

I am not coming down hard on CT. Just trying to understand what the differences are. I never lived in east coast and yes the natural environment there is very different from west or south. The thing I didn't like in CT is the very low density spread out towns that have too many trees, utter lack of city vibe and lack of big city amenities like airport.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:27 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
I am not coming down hard on CT. Just trying to understand what the differences are. I never lived in east coast and yes the natural environment there is very different from west or south. The thing I didn't like in CT is the very low density spread out towns that have too many trees, utter lack of city vibe and lack of big city amenities like airport.
I could be off base, but most of CT isn't like that. Maybe the "Quiet Corner" and Litchfield Hills but that's about it. I live in Central CT and I could get to an airport, mall, shops, box stores, little NE downtown areas, music venues and "cities" all within 30 Minutes. Not that spread out in my mind, in fact it's perfect.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
What do you have against trees?! They are natural and give us oxygen. Better than concrete.

We have a number of airports in Ct. Not the size you'd find in many other states, but you must realize we are a small state. It only takes a few hours to drive from one end of the state to the other. Plus we have Boston and NYC nearby.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:58 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:

LOL @ your real estate comment. The New Haven area is more reasonably priced, just as the Oakland area is more reasonably priced in the Bay Area.

Lower FFC has the most expensive home listing in the country right now at $190,000,000.

Read between the lines. I said $800,000 as barely a STARTER HOME. Average home prices in many of those towns is over $1,000,000, and sizable homes are easily in the 8 figure range.

Look up Darien, Greenwich, Westport, Fairfield, Wilton, New Canaan, Weston and tell me it's cheap.

Also, Ridgefield does NOT represent the entire state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut