Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2020, 01:13 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Electric Boat hired 900 employees last year. They are in line to hire double that this year. In total they are projecting to hire 18,000 employees over the next ten years. It depends on what a person does but it’s clear there are plenty of jobs being added at Electric Boat, it’s subcontractors and other expanding businesses like Pratt & Whitney now and in the coming decade. Given this, no properly trained and experienced worker has to go out of state to work. Jay
Took a look at job postings this morning. Most required college degrees, years of experience and ability to get and maintain security clearances. Not a thing for my apprentice electrician, job-seeking son.

BLS statistics give the overall unemployment rate in the New London area about 4.5%. Connecticut's overall unemployment rate appears to be 3.7%. It would seem the plenty of jobs Electric Boat is offering are not doing much for the surrounding community.

Old 02-18-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Yes. Electric Boat has 11,000 employees here now. They are new hires and to replace employees that are anticipated to retire. Jay.
I wouldn't call a job opening to replace a worker who elects retirement creation of a new job.

Old 02-18-2020, 01:52 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Took a look at job postings this morning. Most required college degrees, years of experience and ability to get and maintain security clearances. Not a thing for my apprentice electrician, job-seeking son.

BLS statistics give the overall unemployment rate in the New London area about 4.5%. Connecticut's overall unemployment rate appears to be 3.7%. It would seem the plenty of jobs Electric Boat is offering are not doing much for the surrounding community.

I dont' think blue collar type jobs require college degrees. I would love to see an example of a job posting you;re seeing at electric boat with that requirement.

Regardless, there are free training programs for various jobs at electric boat right now. Check this site

Frequently Asked Questions

"The Eastern CT Manufacturing Pipeline Initiative Program is provided at NO COST to participants. The program is funded by the Eastern CT Workforce Investment Board (EWIB) through a variety of state, private & philanthropic grant funds."

Old 02-18-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

Regardless, there are free training programs for various jobs at electric boat right now. Check this site

Frequently Asked Questions

"The Eastern CT Manufacturing Pipeline Initiative Program is provided at NO COST to participants. The program is funded by the Eastern CT Workforce Investment Board (EWIB) through a variety of state, private & philanthropic grant funds."
My son had just graduated from one of Connecticut's own technical high schools. This was not enough to get a job at Electric Boat. The suggestion he needs to go into the Ct community college system in order to obtain employment in this state doesn't really inspire confidence. Why have technical high schools at all?

Old 02-18-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I dont' think blue collar type jobs require college degrees. I would love to see an example of a job posting you;re seeing at electric boat with that requirement.

For the moment, here's the number of jobs available at Electric Boat for the Electric Trades.

https://operations-gd-electricboat.i...Category=19429

Old 02-18-2020, 08:09 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
My son had just graduated from one of Connecticut's own technical high schools. This was not enough to get a job at Electric Boat. The suggestion he needs to go into the Ct community college system in order to obtain employment in this state doesn't really inspire confidence. Why have technical high schools at all?
Welcome to 21st Century Corporate America. The days of graduating high school and finding a well paying steady job at a major defense company are LONG gone. Actually I’m not sure if they existed in the last 40 years unless you knew someone. Today kids pretty much must go beyond a high school education. Sorry that’s just the way it is and that’s not just here. Nobody is guaranteed a job.

Also, the unemployment rate in New London County in December was 3.1%. That’s very low. Even then, as I said, that guarantees nothing. Jay

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CTNEWL1URN

Old 02-18-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Welcome to 21st Century Corporate America. The days of graduating high school and finding a well paying steady job at a major defense company are LONG gone. Actually I’m not sure if they existed in the last 40 years unless you knew someone. Today kids pretty much must go beyond a high school education. Sorry that’s just the way it is and that’s not just here. Nobody is guaranteed a job.

Also, the unemployment rate in New London County in December was 3.1%. That’s very low. Even then, as I said, that guarantees nothing. Jay

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CTNEWL1URN
"I know years ago you had to know someone to get in. They deliberately kept the numbers low to keep their pay high. A friend tried to get in but never could. That said he ended up working for a defense company in our state and did very well. Maybe the OP’s son should have tried that. Pratt, Electric Boat and Sikorsky are always looking for electrical help. Jay" 12/14/19.

I'd say your previous statement regarding Electric Boat regarding always looking for electrical help needs a little clarification, as having an electrical apprentice license wasn't enough. Maybe you could also clarify a part of a previous post from Mr Gompers, who didn't think blue collar jobs required a college degree.

I think I am more inclined to agree with the BSL regarding unemployment rates. Of course, there may be differences in how the two numbers are compiled.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
"I know years ago you had to know someone to get in. They deliberately kept the numbers low to keep their pay high. A friend tried to get in but never could. That said he ended up working for a defense company in our state and did very well. Maybe the OP’s son should have tried that. Pratt, Electric Boat and Sikorsky are always looking for electrical help. Jay" 12/14/19.

I'd say your previous statement regarding Electric Boat regarding always looking for electrical help needs a little clarification, as having an electrical apprentice license wasn't enough. Maybe you could also clarify a part of a previous post from Mr Gompers, who didn't think blue collar jobs required a college degree.

I think I am more inclined to agree with the BSL regarding unemployment rates. Of course, there may be differences in how the two numbers are compiled.
I’m not sure what you want clarified. When I said these companies always look for electrical help does not mean they have a continual demand. It means they do hire for electrical jobs. They may not have jobs today but they may in the future. There are no guarantees here or in any state.

I posted my source for the unemployment rate in New London County. It is the Federal Reserve who is responsible for reporting statistics on the economy. You posted nothing to support your figure. I stand by the 3.1% figure. I looked to see if I could find your statistic and it appears to be for the New London-Norwich-Westerly RI area so it goes beyond just New London County. That is likely the difference. Jay

Old 02-19-2020, 01:50 PM

Connecticut has been ranked in the top 16 states for its return on business incentives. That’s good to see. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2020/02/07/lamo...by-tolls-ally/

Old 02-21-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:

I posted my source for the unemployment rate in New London County. It is the Federal Reserve who is responsible for reporting statistics on the economy. You posted nothing to support your figure. I stand by the 3.1% figure. I looked to see if I could find your statistic and it appears to be for the New London-Norwich-Westerly RI area so it goes beyond just New London County. That is likely the difference. Jay
Fair enough on the unemployment figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut