Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2020, 11:07 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I’m not sure what you want clarified. When I said these companies always look for electrical help does not mean they have a continual demand. It means they do hire for electrical jobs. They may not have jobs today but they may in the future. There are no guarantees here or in any state.
Well as he was was looking for close to two years I'd agree there aren't any guarantees in Ct. I checked out Pratt and Whitney, a similar situation exists presently.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:01 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Well as he was was looking for close to two years I'd agree there aren't any guarantees in Ct. I checked out Pratt and Whitney, a similar situation exists presently.
There aren’t any guarantees anywhere. Jay

Old 02-21-2020, 07:43 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Without additional education, after looking 2 years, it is safe to assume your son will likely continue struggling here.

In certain regions, factories will hire people for entry level roles w/o post secondary education. One of my Southeast US employers often reimbursed employees for going to nearby post secondary technical training , at night, while they were employed, during the day with us. Not sure if they still do.

I do think Ct technical schools no longer serve much purpose, as we have lost most of the types of manufacturing corps who would hire directly from them.

Old 02-22-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Without additional education, after looking 2 years, it is safe to assume your son will likely continue struggling here.

In certain regions, factories will hire people for entry level roles w/o post secondary education. One of my Southeast US employers often reimbursed employees for going to nearby post secondary technical training , at night, while they were employed, during the day with us. Not sure if they still do.

I do think Ct technical schools no longer serve much purpose, as we have lost most of the types of manufacturing corps who would hire directly from them.
I agree. That's why I set up my son in Texas late last year. He got a job as an apprentice electrician within 2 weeks of looking. However, no one wants to rent an apartment to a 19 year old who has had a job for a week. Thank God Mom had the financial resources to do that. There is a mentality amongst some people who have kids learning the trades .... hey my son/daughter will be able to graduate right into a job. In my experience, not always and oftentimes not in Connecticut. Now I have another son who got a manufacturing job out of high school, basically because he had a teacher advocating for him. Seems to be a lot of who do you know around here.

Old 02-22-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:

There seems to be such a mixed message regarding the entire situation. Students were told to enroll in the electrical training at my son's school, because they thought they'd get jobs upon graduation. That ended about 2 years ago when they added a health care field, a lot of students chose that (much to the consternation of the electrical teacher.) We have had posts here about friends of posters saying they can't get enough electrical help, that Pratt and Whitney, Electric Boat, and various others hire electrical help. In manufacturing I did notice one thing .... it seems a lot of those who need it go for agency help.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:00 AM

898 posts, read 598,017 times
As for getting into EB with only a high school diploma, my stepson got in as a pipefitter when he was 19 with no formal piping training. He was supposed to go to school to be an engineer but got his then girlfriend pregnant instead. He's 23 now and just left the union to take on a supervisor role and is currently putting in about 80 hours per week. Good thing he changed jobs as he recently found out he has spinal stenosis and his time fitting pipe was going to be short lived if he continued. And as far as the backround check, his dad applied and failed the backround check because his brother, not him, has a record.

Working in the trades in general, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, you have to get hired by a contractor and enroll in an apprenticeship program. The problem is that there is a state mandated ratio between journeymen and apprentices. I think it might be that one journeyman can supervise three apprentices. The problem is that during the last 10 years or so, a lot of tradespeople either fled CT to find work, or retired, leaving a journeyman shortage. So a contractor may have a need for workers, but before he can add apprentices, he has to add non-existent journeymen first.

Old 02-29-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post

Working in the trades in general, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, you have to get hired by a contractor and enroll in an apprenticeship program. The problem is that there is a state mandated ratio between journeymen and apprentices. I think it might be that one journeyman can supervise three apprentices. The problem is that during the last 10 years or so, a lot of tradespeople either fled CT to find work, or retired, leaving a journeyman shortage. So a contractor may have a need for workers, but before he can add apprentices, he has to add non-existent journeymen first.
My son had already completed all the classroom instruction, he needed a job and hours. I recall hearing that situation regarding journeyman/apprentice ratio mentioned by one employer as a reason he didn't get hired.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:36 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Excellent CBIA column.

https://www.cbia.com/news/inside-the...ss-day-2020-3/

Old 03-11-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Pretty good article. I'd love to hear what Molly Kellogg eventually wound up doing.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:18 AM

6,911 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
It really is excellent Bob. A terrific article.
Its great to see Molly has freedom to choose and stay here in the US.
Its truly a special privilege. A really wonderful thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut