Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 08:56 AM

25,729 posts, read 12,800,389 times

Advertisements

https://www.lendingtree.com/personal...g/#Keyfindings

This article says Connecticut is losing tax payers to other states at a record clip.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:35 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

This article says Connecticut is losing tax payers to other states at a record clip.
Interesting article.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:18 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,183,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
Yes, but they are legacy areas. They are not developing or attracting any growing businesses. The businesses that provide GDP are mature and looking at the border.

I know you really want to believe this but it's no where near true.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:03 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

Yes...like I said in my previous post IT IS THE BABY BOOMER RETIRING to FL and this article proves it.

"In Florida, incoming seniors were responsible for most of the new tax dollars flooding the state, which is a well-known retirement hotspot, according to a recent study from MagnifyMoney, a LendingTree-owned site. The ages 55 and older crowd represents about 72% of incoming AGI for Florida."

Did anyone ever think what is going to happen to Florida's economy when all those baby boomers hit their 80's and have to start going into nursing homes? Right now most of the baby boomers are pretty healthy.

Look at this chart. The peak of the baby boomers is between 1955 and the early 1960's. That is me and my husband. I can tell you that our contemporaries are in our late 50's and early 60's and we are all pretty healthy right now. What will happen to the FL economy when the peak of the baby boomers need massive medical care? I would rather be in CT. How will FL pay for all of that?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boomers.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	213669

Healthcare Rankings by State
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...gs/health-care

#3 CT
#29 FL

So right now without the crush of baby boomers needing all the healthcare FL is #29. What ranking do you think FL will have when there is an enormous strain on the healthcare system?

Item of note is Healthcare access.
"Health care access looks at adults and children who go without medical and dental care, including because of the cost."
#1 CT
# 46 FL

I'm staying home in retirement.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:19 PM

6,900 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Yes...like I said in my previous post IT IS THE BABY BOOMER RETIRING to FL and this article proves it.

"In Florida, incoming seniors were responsible for most of the new tax dollars flooding the state, which is a well-known retirement hotspot, according to a recent study from MagnifyMoney, a LendingTree-owned site. The ages 55 and older crowd represents about 72% of incoming AGI for Florida."

Did anyone ever think what is going to happen to Florida's economy when all those baby boomers hit their 80's and have to start going into nursing homes? Right now most of the baby boomers are pretty healthy.

Look at this chart. The peak of the baby boomers is between 1955 and the early 1960's. That is me and my husband. I can tell you that our contemporaries are in our late 50's and early 60's and we are all pretty healthy right now. What will happen to the FL economy when the peak of the baby boomers need massive medical care? I would rather be in CT. How will FL pay for all of that?

Attachment 213669

Healthcare Rankings by State
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...gs/health-care

#3 CT
#29 FL

So right now without the crush of baby boomers needing all the healthcare FL is #29. What ranking do you think FL will have when there is an enormous strain on the healthcare system?

Item of note is Healthcare access.
"Health care access looks at adults and children who go without medical and dental care, including because of the cost."
#1 CT
# 46 FL

I'm staying home in retirement.

Meh, I'm not going to believe every ranking and story on the internet. Who died and declared the internet to be taken as gospel?
One would think that in all these decades of millions of boomers retiring to Florida, atleast one of them would have figured out that Florida has inferior healthcare Sorry, not buying it.

Avoid trans fats, processed and fried foods high in cholesterol, exercise regularly and you'll be fine in FL or anywhere else.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:08 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Meh, I'm not going to believe every ranking and story on the internet. Who died and declared the internet to be taken as gospel?
One would think that in all these decades of millions of boomers retiring to Florida, atleast one of them would have figured out that Florida has inferior healthcare Sorry, not buying it.

Avoid trans fats, processed and fried foods high in cholesterol, exercise regularly and you'll be fine in FL or anywhere else.
Exactly.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:18 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
There have been numerous sources that show this to be happening and it is not a political strategy. Politicians know very well they will never turn CT and NY into republican states.
Well,. . . never say never, my dude. I'm sure there were plenty of people who said MA would never again have a Republican governor, and they do now. Likewise, deep red states can flip on occasion: Kansas just elected its first Democratic governor since the outhouse moved indoors.

All kidding aside, the reason I bring this up is because if there is enough discontent among enough residents, they can flip a state that seems set in its ways. If CT continues down the same path, it is possible that a moderate GOP member can flip the state. I know Lamont is doing exactly what his predecessor did which is tout every politically correct issue under the sun to ensure the state is one giant safe space, but if you talk to everyday people who aren't part of the rose' crowd, they'll tell you they are concerned about jobs and the long-term picture of the state economically. No matter how deep blue or red a state is, now is not the time for lawmakers to rest on their laurels and just assume their team will always win. As we saw in the 2018 midterms, anything is possible.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:29 PM

184 posts, read 106,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Well,. . . never say never, my dude. I'm sure there were plenty of people who said MA would never again have a Republican governor, and they do now. Likewise, deep red states can flip on occasion: Kansas just elected its first Democratic governor since the outhouse moved indoors.
Actually Deval Patrick being the governor of MA was more of a surprise then Baker taking over. The last D governor prior to Patrick you had to go all the way back to Dukakis. Up in MA they have the right idea. Do not let all three branches of govt go in one direction or the other. Forces both sides to have to negotiate, and really stops to many huge changes from happening. (state level, at least in the Northeast works better with the split then we have seen at the Federal level of late. I cannot speak for states outside of this region)

Of course it also helps that the D's running of late in MA have been about as strong as the R's running for governor here in Conn. which is to say, not very.

The correct R running for govt here could most definitely win.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:03 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post

But unfortunately there are people that do and love to rant on about our lack of growth when we are already at or near the top for GDP, wealth, real disposable income and private sector employment or about people leaving here “in droves” which really is just a couple hundred net.

As for the health care question, most retirees are in denial about possible future health issues. They retire feeling well so being close to good healthcare is far from their minds. They want warm weather and tons of amenities at their fingertips. You find that in the many retirement communities built far from major cities where decent healthcare is down there. For many it is not an issue but for a number of them there is an issue, and at some point a serious one. They either have to travel far for better care or deal with it locally.

And while eating well and exercising does help, it does not necessarily prevent illnesses in old age. I know people that took care of themselves their entire lives and still got serious illnesses. Jay

Old 08-13-2019, 03:30 PM

6,900 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
But unfortunately there are people that do and love to rant on about our lack of growth when we are already at or near the top for GDP, wealth, real disposable income and private sector employment or about people leaving here “in droves” which really is just a couple hundred net.

As for the health care question, most retirees are in denial about possible future health issues. They retire feeling well so being close to good healthcare is far from their minds. They want warm weather and tons of amenities at their fingertips. You find that in the many retirement communities built far from major cities where decent healthcare is down there. For many it is not an issue but for a number of them there is an issue, and at some point a serious one. They either have to travel far for better care or deal with it locally.

And while eating well and exercising does help, it does not necessarily prevent illnesses in old age. I know people that took care of themselves their entire lives and still got serious illnesses. Jay
I have no issue with your first sentence, made no mention of that. I see nothing but wealth and growth where I live. We hear people say they "WANT" to leave all the time but it's all talk, they ain't goin' anywhere.

I'm skeptical of rankings. It's hard to believe you can't find quality HC in the year 2019 in a nation as advanced as this one. The Artist fellow and others should be more concerned with access to quality HC INSURANCE and the costs associated with that mess instead of locations or states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut