Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 01:17 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times

Advertisements

CT still hasn't release unemployment rate data for January and February 2016.

Latest data which was in December 2015 show Hartford has highest employment, followed by Waterbury & Bridgeport

December 2015 data

1. Hartford 9.1%
2. Waterbury 7.9%
3. Bridgeport 7.4%
4. New London 7.3%
5. New Britain 7.1%

New Haven 6.5 % Stamford 4.1% Norwalk 4.4% Ansonia 6.8% Derby 5.7% East Hartford 6.2% Danbury 4.0%

Bristol 5.7% Middletown 4.8% Manchester 4.8% Meriden 6.1% West Haven 5.9% Hamden 4.5% Norwich 6.4%

Stratford 5.5% Shelton 4.6% Naugatuck 4.6%

https://www1.ctdol.state.ct.us/lmi/LAUS/laus.pdf

Old 03-04-2016, 02:31 PM

720 posts, read 919,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
It was in the patch (Danbury I believe). That's what's the spokesperson said. I actually found the job posting and its is very specific about the intentions. It'll be interesting to see what happens with this.

Duracell HQ to Chicago? - NewsTimes

Old 03-04-2016, 02:45 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
CT still hasn't release unemployment rate data for January and February 2016.

Latest data which was in December 2015 show Hartford has highest employment, followed by Waterbury & Bridgeport

December 2015 data

1. Hartford 9.1%
2. Waterbury 7.9%
3. Bridgeport 7.4%
4. New London 7.3%
5. New Britain 7.1%

New Haven 6.5 % Stamford 4.1% Norwalk 4.4% Ansonia 6.8% Derby 5.7% East Hartford 6.2% Danbury 4.0%

Bristol 5.7% Middletown 4.8% Manchester 4.8% Meriden 6.1% West Haven 5.9% Hamden 4.5% Norwich 6.4%

Stratford 5.5% Shelton 4.6% Naugatuck 4.6%

https://www1.ctdol.state.ct.us/lmi/LAUS/laus.pdf
How's corrupt Bridgeport doin'??

Old 03-04-2016, 07:43 PM

The pain of red budget ink and what Connecticut’s governor is calling the worst economic slowdown since the Great Depression is spreading at the Capitol, where furloughs and rollbacks of raises could be imminent for legislative employees.

State could furlough legislative staff, cancel raises - Connecticut Post

Old 03-04-2016, 08:41 PM

468 posts, read 475,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I agree. Young people tend to move where there's a high number of young people. For example...my daughter got a job offer in Maine and Texas and she chose Texas because the community that the job was in has more young people and a more exciting environment.
The huge relocations coming to texas are spending $Billions to build around other mixed use development type campuses, all in the suburbs. Young people have always wanted the bar action in the cities but most of these companies want to develop their campuses in communities where their employees can raise their families.

Not as many toyota employees would take their kids out of irvines great schools unless they can put them in planos top schools. It also helps that toyota is building their campus right next to liberty mutuals new campus and fedex new offices, and JPM new buiding to start, and across town from state farms huge complex being built. Of course down the road from Buffets new $Billion development Nebraska Furniture. All surrounded by other fortune 500 companies in Plano.

And now next door Frisco wants to try to outdo its big brother and already has several $Billions in projects started. Many people even in texas have still never heard of frisco but this bedroom community is now attracting some hot international development money, again to the suburbs.

Yes the cities here do get companies going in there too and young people still love working in the city too, but that isnt the hot NEW trend everywhere as some people keep posting.

The $5 Billion Mile | Frisco Economic Development Corporation

Old 03-04-2016, 08:59 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Why cant he just quit.. Literally I don't think his own family supports him anymore.
We have to realize this is causing a 15 to 17 percent increase in patient care, facilities unable to update equipment, dangerous balance of staff to patient ratio, and a decrease in healthcare employment/recruitment/retention in the state.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:50 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times
Malloy Wants More Budget Cuts - Hartford Courant

If I could I'd lower the taxes to the way they were before Malloy came into office. Our population was growing and as soon as he increased taxes which squeezed the middle class, our population dropped every year since then. If we continue to lose residents our revenue will continue to drop. Lowering taxes will help us in the long run so we can compete with other states around us. Lowering taxes will make it more affordable to younger students who have huge college debt and lowering taxes will help attract residents who live in more expensive states around us like New Jersey and New York. Imagine how this state would be right now if we didn't introduce the state income tax 25 years ago? Our state would be growing like crazy IMO.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:33 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
True could repeal the income tax for anyone under $100K

Old 03-08-2016, 04:00 PM

789 posts, read 702,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Malloy Wants More Budget Cuts - Hartford Courant

If I could I'd lower the taxes to the way they were before Malloy came into office. Our population was growing and as soon as he increased taxes which squeezed the middle class, our population dropped every year since then. If we continue to lose residents our revenue will continue to drop. Lowering taxes will help us in the long run so we can compete with other states around us. Lowering taxes will make it more affordable to younger students who have huge college debt and lowering taxes will help attract residents who live in more expensive states around us like New Jersey and New York. Imagine how this state would be right now if we didn't introduce the state income tax 25 years ago? Our state would be growing like crazy IMO.
You hit on it.

Anecdotal example upcoming but...Right now i'm in the midst of making the decision on where to move my family to with 1 & 3 yr old, we are now in the NYC boroughs but no way on earth i'm staying here with poor public schooling & NYC's 3.6% income tax on top of NY State income taxes. It is either NJ or CT or flee the area entirely and go to the Northern Texas suburbs or Florida......the allure of no state income taxes is intense for our family but we have to weigh that versus leaving extended family behind. If, like you said CT had no state income taxes, we would be there instantaneously, no questions asked. It is strange how people write this off as a major consideration in attracting people and businesses. And, the great part is you tend to attract people who ACTUALLY WORK and contribute to the economic well being of the state.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:45 PM

Malloy offered some of his own ideas, including reducing the state workforce and financial aid to cities, to close the current $220M budget gap before it jumps to nearly 1 billion in July.

Malloy asks legislative leaders to come up with budget cuts | FOX 61
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut