Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 09:32 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
No way. What is faced in CT is what is faced by states all over the country and probably better long term than those. A tonnnn of states based a lot of 15 year projections over a boom and bust industry and now are in much more dire straights than we face. And bringing Mass into this? Boston is a glimmer of hope for the state but much of it faces worse local conditions than we do here. The reason why CT doesn't have "it" right now is purely PR. Unfortunately PR matters but here we are.
PR? PR doesn't cost a dime. CT isn't "it" for a multitude of reasons. All of which are dynamic, all of which were at some point avoidable and most of which are the result of deliberate complacency. To claim it's something as shallow as "PR" is pure rubbish. Good grief. You know it's spring when CTers are blaming systemic failure on...wait for it..."PR" instead of snow...

Old 05-23-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Property values. That's really the only difference. But that's a double edged sword for most. Most Americans worth is wrapped up in the property they live in... but are trying to settle places that value barely (if at all) increases due to low zoning regs.
real estate, save for a few towns, has been flat in CT for years. Home values have done nothing in the last 5 years. If anything, mine is worth less. Break even maybe AFTER the updates we made.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:09 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
The alarm is being raised!

Connecticut Officials Shouldn't Let Aetna Get Away - Hartford Courant

Old 05-24-2016, 06:16 AM

504 posts, read 384,989 times
Malloy has been a disaster! Instead of trying to control spending after major tax increases, he spends more. This is simply unsustainable in the long term. We need to get are fiscal house in order and fast! I can't see burdening people any more with major taxes increases in the future. The middle class is slowly being decimated here. And no I'm not in the GOP, I'm independent. No desire to join any party, just a concerned taxpayer.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:02 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
The state is lending Bridgewater $22 million to stay and expand (as many as 750 new jobs) here in Connecticut. The Republicans of course are being critical of this but had Bridgewater choose to move I think they would also be critical. So much for politics. Jay

Republicans criticize Malloy over $22 M grant to Bridgewater - Connecticut Post

Old 05-24-2016, 08:48 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
My first job out of college only 4 years ago was making 15/hr. Entry level statistical analyst for Schick. Multi variate stat analysis requiring 4 year degree = 15/hr, McDonald's clerk = 15/hr. Got it. Needless to say I find this amusing. Also needless to say McDonald's and friends will continue never over to full automation and no one will have jobs save for the cooks . Not very strategic.
What you fail to see is that society pays for these low wage workers whether we like it or not via Govt welfare programs such as foodstamps, medicaid, and housing.. It's a transfer of taxpayer money to the wealthy and most Americans can not see this connection.

If people were paid a working wage they wouldn't need Govt help nor would there be a transfer of taxpayer money to the wealthy. This would also have the added benefit of reducing Govt workers since we won't need them to process the applications and give out the funds if less people are in need.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:14 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post

Aetna is just laying the ground work to ask for handouts.

Their 2015 financial statements.

https://www.aetna.com/about-us/inves...formation.html

From page 8 summary of financial results for 2015

Revenue of $60.3 Billion dollars
Net Income of $2.39 Billion dollars

I didn't even look into retained earnings and treasury stock.

Looks like this company is on the verge of bankruptcy.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:18 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The state is lending Bridgewater $22 million to stay and expand (as many as 750 new jobs) here in Connecticut. The Republicans of course are being critical of this but had Bridgewater choose to move I think they would also be critical. So much for politics. Jay

Republicans criticize Malloy over $22 M grant to Bridgewater - Connecticut Post
Why would Bridgewater need to be lent money so it could stay and expand when its one of the wealthiest Hedgefunds in the nation?

Old 05-24-2016, 09:26 AM

505 posts, read 428,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
What you fail to see is that society pays for these low wage workers whether we like it or not via Govt welfare programs such as foodstamps, medicaid, and housing.. It's a transfer of taxpayer money to the wealthy and most Americans can not see this connection.

If people were paid a working wage they wouldn't need Govt help nor would there be a transfer of taxpayer money to the wealthy. This would also have the added benefit of reducing Govt workers since we won't need them to process the applications and give out the funds if less people are in need.
This is true, however, our immigration policy is partially to blame because we continue to bring in and encourage people from backwards countries who are mainly capable of low wage jobs and then we are stuck with them.

The state should not be protecting or encouraging anyone to settle here who cannot provide for themselves.

We also need to encourage/mandate birth control among these groups. Long term they lead only to perpetuate the welfare state.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

Interestingly, I'm a huge proponent of cutting or extremely reducing that gravy train as well. Problem solved. I'm a capitalist, and I'll stick with market values. If somebody wants a different life, then I advise they take action. Not enabling them with free money will only encourage this behavior.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 05-24-2016 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut