Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 06:13 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I am going to guess wallet helps.
It helps, but more important is a committment of time by parents. School events of all types are packed. It is a community where kids are the number one priority of the families. That's the most important difference.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan's 1960 warnings on non nuclear families and disfunction is very true, and the macro level best predictor of a kid's future lies in the family structure being traditional and intact.

When I was growing up, intact nuclear families were the norm. Moynihan was talking about the inner city primarily. But suburbia has, in too many cases, since emulated their problems instead of the other way around.

Not in my former Tn town, and that is why the kids are doing so well. Families, families, families.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
First rule of keeping people in CT lower taxes. Second rule more jobs. Third rule cheaper l/affordable higher education. Fourth rule lower property cost.
They only control the first one.

More jobs would mean having to be business friendly for decades to gain trust.

Education will never get cheaper until teacher/student ratios are raised, as too FEW students are paying for each teacher.

Last one will never occur, as it requires abundant empty land being added to pressure existing stock prices down.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:23 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,832 times
Quote:
I am going to guess wallet helps.
I didn't come from a family with a big wallet. Effort, as mentioned in the post you're responding to is where I owe my success. I'd also throw in a willingness to seek out and listen carefully to mentors. At 28 years old, I make 3x what my mother made when she worked 2-3 jobs to raise me, and probably 4x what she makes now with one.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:36 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I didn't come from a family with a big wallet. Effort, as mentioned in the post you're responding to is where I owe my success. I'd also throw in a willingness to seek out and listen carefully to mentors. At 28 years old, I make 3x what my mother made when she worked 2-3 jobs to raise me, and probably 4x what she makes now with one.
Using your own argument, what was wrong with your mother?

In reality, I have the utmost respect for what your mother did... but you and our friend from NJ are arguing that effort is the primary factor in success. I am the first guy to argue that working your ass off is important, but, in reality, having money is a tremendous advantage.

I know that your effort, in your mind, separates you from all the takers, right? If they put in the kind of effort you did, they'd be a success....

Only, if effort was the primary factor, I have to question how it is possible that you came from humble beginnings....

Your line of argument has a built-in contradiction unless your willing to belittle the efforts of your own mother.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It helps, but more important is a committment of time by parents. School events of all types are packed. It is a community where kids are the number one priority of the families. That's the most important difference.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan's 1960 warnings on non nuclear families and disfunction is very true, and the macro level best predictor of a kid's future lies in the family structure being traditional and intact.

When I was growing up, intact nuclear families were the norm. Moynihan was talking about the inner city primarily. But suburbia has, in too many cases, since emulated their problems instead of the other way around.

Not in my former Tn town, and that is why the kids are doing so well. Families, families, families.
No doubt, commitment by parents is critical. Considering finances is the top reason for divorce, it should only strengthen the argument on the importance of a healthy wallet... and how that's a predictor of success.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Only, if effort was the primary factor, I have to question how you came from humble beginnings....

Outrageous. The generations of recent decades , starting with Boomers had huge advantages. (I say that as both my parents were teens during the Great Depression.)

And yes effort is vital, as are nuclear families. Heather may have 2 mommies, but when that happens, overall Heather will under perform kids around her from nuclear families. Our community was blessed with a tremendous % of nuclear, intact families.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Outrageous. The generations of recent decades , starting with Boomers had huge advantages.

And yes effort is vital, as are nuclear families. Heather may have 2 mommies, but when that happens, overall Heather will under perform kids around her from nuclear families. Our community was blessed with a tremendous % of nuclear, intact families.
Got any statistics (that aren't from a hate group or FOX) that back you up on this? Or are you just busting out the homophobia for the sport of it-- when it's strangely irrelevant to the discussion?

I'm sure your going to quote the "Family Research Council" "study" which you have to be willfully ignorant, and likely homophobic yourself to believe. This is an organization that was headed by Josh Duggar... But I guess if it reinforces ones homophobia...

http://journalistsresource.org/studi...adult-outcomes

Old 04-03-2016, 07:57 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,832 times
Quote:
Using your own argument, what was wrong with your mother?

In reality, I have the utmost respect for what your mother did... but you and our friend from NJ are arguing that effort is the primary factor in success. I am the first guy to argue that working your ass off is important, but, in reality, having money is a tremendous advantage.

I know that your effort, in your mind, separates you from all the takers, right? If they put in the kind of effort you did, they'd be a success....

Only, if effort was the primary factor, I have to question how it is possible that you came from humble beginnings....

Your line of argument has a built-in contradiction unless your willing to belittle the efforts of your own mother.
Too little too late I suppose. Unfortunately she has no valuable skills and therefore paid accordingly. What she did do, was set an example. That is what separates her from the takers. I didn't grow up thinking I could be lazy. I agree financial comfort can make it easier, which is partly why I am so aggressive about my upward growth. Also why we are planning on relocating. To relate this to CT, I don't think the system in place motivates those who choose to move up in life. Much more punishment than reward.

I broke the cycle. One of my former coworkers was an immigrant from another continent and he broke the cycle. Came here with next to nothing. Barely spoke english. Got his masters degree, speaks fluent english now, has high tech job, house, wife, 2 kids. He did it in his own lifetime, nevermind generational gaps. Many immigrants have been doing this for decades. I have zero sympathy for multigenerational takers. Absolute zero excuse.laziness and excuses is all i ever hear.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 04-03-2016 at 08:31 PM..

Old 04-03-2016, 08:02 PM

[quote=mlassoff;43588760]Got any statistics (that aren't from a hate group or FOX) that back you up on this? Or are you just busting out the homophobia for the sport of it-- when it's strangely irrelevant to the discussion?

/quote]

Didn't know Moynihan was a hate group guy?

He was correct then and now.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
. Unfortunately she had no valuable skills and therefore was pus accordingly. What she did do, was set an example. That is what separates her from the takers. I didn't grow up thinking I could be lazy. .

That example is invaluable, and she set a great example for you regarding work ethic and the value of education.

My parents did the same and grew up in a very rough era. Going to work as a teen to help support the family was the Great Depression norm. But they knew future gens would have it easier and that was their goal. Good parents are selfLESS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut