Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 10:36 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Not necessarily. Hartford insurers were one of the first and most aggressive in pursuing the "Work from Home" concept but many still require the ability to be in the office a day or two a week for team/supervisor meetings. That requires them to live somewhat close to the offices in Hartford. Some may now live in western Massachusetts but it is unlikely a lot live in other states further away from Hartford. It really depends on the job. Jay
The insurers have offices in nearly every state, and multiple in some states. All or even most of their employees definitely don't all need to be in HQ a day or two/week.... or ever really. I worked for one of them, and I've never been to Hartford nor anyone else I worked with really.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:40 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. Hartford insurers were one of the first and most aggressive in pursuing the "Work from Home" concept but many still require the ability to be in the office a day or two a week for team/supervisor meetings. That requires them to live somewhat close to the offices in Hartford. Some may now live in western Massachusetts but it is unlikely a lot live in other states further away from Hartford. It really depends on the job. Jay
I have to disgree. A family member of mine works for an insurance company in the Hartford area. She has not been to the office more than 3 times in a year and those were for parties.
She is a 20 year employee.
She is moving to North Carolina this year and still working for that same company.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:13 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I have to disgree. A family member of mine works for an insurance company in the Hartford area. She has not been to the office more than 3 times in a year and those were for parties.
She is moving to North Carolina this year and still working for that same company.
Like I said it depends on the job. Some can work completely independently, but many can't. Most people that I know that do this are in the office a least once a week. It could also depend on the supervisor. Old school wants to see their employees face-to-face. Jay

Old 05-02-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Like I said it depends on the job. Some can work completely independently, but many can't. Most people that I know that do this are in the office a least once a week. It could also depend on the supervisor. Old school wants to see their employees face-to-face. Jay
But still....... that doesn't mean they need to be in HQ. It's not about being able to work independently, it's about the fact that Aetna and other health insurers don't need to hire people to work in HQ when they have a major office in many states. If that guy's numbers are true, then it makes sense that you'd see a much lower local employee headcount once these work at home policies began.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:58 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
How does income tax work in that scenario? Goes by state of residence , correct?

Old 05-02-2016, 05:27 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
How does income tax work in that scenario? Goes by state of residence , correct?
I would assume-- No taxation without representation, right?

Old 05-02-2016, 07:03 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,091,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
The Courant FL-CT article popped up on my Facebook feed today. A 20-something-er posed the question on is it better to leave the NH region or not.

The replies have been a resounding LEAVE LEAVE LEAVE. Austin, Portland, Tampa, San Diego, Denver, Charlotte, Dallas, etc. Many of these cities are not really "cheap" by Connecticut standards and nowhere in this Facebook post are taxes even mentioned.

IMO the proof is in the pudding so to speak. An entire future generation are fleeing CT because the state is both expensive & boring. It's not all about taxes.
I had to chime in here on this one. Wife and I are mid 40s couple, no kids. We relocated in 2004 from Long Island to glastonbury Ct. I got laid off 3x in the 10 years I was there. I was working for Metlife since 2012, and I saw the writing on the wall there, I tried to get a transfer to Charlotte and they wouldn't take me due to "tax reasons" ( I think they had to hire mostly locals for the tax breaks they received) so, I listed my home in 2013 and it sold quickly, rented an apt in Middletown short term, and in 2014 accepted a similar position in the Tampa/st Pete area with a competing insurance company. Funny when I resigned then they magically wanted me to go to Charlotte..sorry homey don't play that.

You should see the growth here, it is incredible how much new construction is going up, in my development well over 100 houses have been built since mine was completed in Sept 2014. Our taxes are a third, no state taxes, and our salaries about the same. I wish you all the best of luck, but for sure was an eye Opener to witness how fast things are building up here.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:29 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,866,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
You should see the growth here, it is incredible how much new construction is going up, in my development well over 100 houses have been built since mine was completed in Sept 2014. Our taxes are a third, no state taxes, and our salaries about the same. I wish you all the best of luck, but for sure was an eye Opener to witness how fast things are building up here.
I move to sc from ct and im making more here than i did in ct and they take less taxes out of my paycheck. Just goes on what field you are in

Old 05-03-2016, 08:57 AM

138 posts, read 116,365 times
So what is the other side of the Tesla argument? It is pretty easy to see how the state law is restricting people from entering the market. But I can't find much information on those who support this law, other than car dealers of course, and what their reasons may be for keeping such a barrier.

Tesla, facing failure, raises the ante - Connecticut Post

Old 05-03-2016, 09:35 AM

I've only heard of opposition from car dealers... but I don't know why CT would turn down 275 non-minimum wage jobs plus added sales tax revenue. NY has a great deal now if it's the only state in the tri-state area to be able to sell them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut