Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2016, 07:41 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Connecticut doing just fine. Don't believe everything you read.

We have many companies coming here left and right. This year will be a big year with many jobs created. Not low paying job, high paying jobs. We'll see a big jump in home prices because there will be so many people buying them. I can't wait too see the huge jump in wold economics Connecticut holds.

I mean Pratt bringing jobs, all the hedge funds, the bio science industry.

I can't wait!!
"Lawmakers returning to Hartford in January will be faced with either raising taxes or cutting services for the third year in a row. "

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/l...401363306.html

I predict state going to have more layoffs and services cut

Last edited by BPt111; 11-15-2016 at 08:00 PM..

Old 11-15-2016, 08:40 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Hopefully they don't raise taxes, give money back to DCF/DMHAS/Local hospitals/State Police, lower tuition at State colleges, and legalize recreational marijuana.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:06 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hopefully they don't raise taxes, give money back to DCF/DMHAS/Local hospitals/State Police, lower tuition at State colleges, and legalize recreational marijuana.
Not sure they can do that with out raising taxes. The problem is their fixed costs for state employees can be lowered some thru negotiation but any more then a 3-5% cut would likely land them in court and all the costs associated with it. So I would say taxes likely won't go up, but I expect not replacing state troopers nothing done about college intuition, letting local hospitals go corporate like Manchester , and maybe legalizing and taxing the hell out of pot.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:20 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Not sure they can do that with out raising taxes. The problem is their fixed costs for state employees can be lowered some thru negotiation but any more then a 3-5% cut would likely land them in court and all the costs associated with it. So I would say taxes likely won't go up, but I expect not replacing state troopers nothing done about college intuition, letting local hospitals go corporate like Manchester , and maybe legalizing and taxing the hell out of pot.

I said it before, but the state is not going to see significant savings on state employee pensions UNTIL the tier I retirees die and perhaps tier II. We have at least another 10 years for that to start happening in significant numbers.

There's also an option for these employees to assign their pensions to a surviving spouse in exchange for a reduction in the pension. I don't remember all the details, but maybe someone here does. Typically women live longer than men, so I would use the average life expectancy of women to make any calcs.

The employees who are currently being laid off are most likely not vested in the state pension system, so cutting them does nothing for future retirement costs. This only results in an immediate gain. Which I'm sure most people see as a positive regardless.

On the subject of marijuana if the tax is too high there will still be a black market. Same thing if the marijuana is too weak or otherwise poor quality. I hope the powers that be are aware of this.

I don't know the street price of marijuana, I'm sure if varies from region to region, but I would guess at least $300 per ounce.

I found this site, detailing marijuana prices, but don't know if its accurate at all

Pot Prices February 2016 - Connecticut Medical Marijuana Prices

Old 11-16-2016, 10:36 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Nope our debt is more than 1.3 Billion! Try 112 Billion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are going bankrupt!

https://ballotpedia.org/Connecticut_...t_and_finances
This is not the most reliable and unbiased source so I would take it with a grain of salt. Jay

Old 11-16-2016, 11:49 AM

617 posts, read 537,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Malloy won’t rule out tax hike | WTNH Connecticut News

I am not sure if this good idea

Connecticut approves $28 million aid package for second hedge fund in 6 months

Connecticut approves $28 million aid package for second hedge fund in 6 months | FOX 61

Here you go, government corruption at a glance. Wasting taxpayer's money on financial speculators serving "elite" and bringing nothing to the society than endless greed.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:21 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

I am not sure if this good idea

Connecticut approves $28 million aid package for second hedge fund in 6 months

Connecticut approves $28 million aid package for second hedge fund in 6 months | FOX 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Here you go, government corruption at a glance. Wasting taxpayer's money on financial speculators serving "elite" and bringing nothing to the society than endless greed.
When I see these types of stories, it makes me wonder if the state has any economists on staff. I can plow thru these numbers in 15 minutes and determine its a net loser for the state. (a.k.a. tax payers)

Old 11-16-2016, 02:58 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is not the most reliable and unbiased source so I would take it with a grain of salt. Jay
How about this one?

State of Connecticut Debt Clock

Or this one, which has a better breakdown says it is 67 Billion as of 2013

http://ctmirror.org/2016/05/31/pew-r...s-high-income/

Old 11-16-2016, 06:22 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Is this more reliable for you?

Old 11-16-2016, 09:14 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Malloy declines to rule out more state employee layoffs | WTNH Connecticut News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut