Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2021, 05:39 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,045,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Their goal isn't to make the viable for the long term - it's to suck as much money out of the papers as possible in the short term. Alden comes in, hollows out the staff, reduces spending, and relies on national stories to print a paper.

Pretty soon the Courant's motto will be "if it was news in NY or LA yesterday, it's news today in Hartford."
The present business model is NOT working. Not just at this group of papers, but industry wide. EBITDA needs to become the goal. It is a business.

Old 05-22-2021, 04:46 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,204,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
So after four credit rating agencies have upgraded the state’s credit rating, word is tax revenue have been pouring into the state. This is unbelievably good news. The state is running a whopping $470 million surplus and the Rainy Day Fund is now projected to grow to an unbelievable $4.5 billion. Great news! Now if we can just get the Democrats to stop looking to increase taxes, not spend the surplus and actually consider a tax cut. Jay
That's right, not gonna happen.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:43 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The present business model is NOT working. Not just at this group of papers, but industry wide. EBITDA needs to become the goal. It is a business.
True but gutting the product in search of short term return results in a product that is no longer appealing to buyers.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:50 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Now if we can just get the Democrats to stop looking to increase taxes, not spend the surplus and actually consider a tax cut. Jay
Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:28 AM

9,080 posts, read 6,305,573 times
Quote:
Now if we can just get the Democrats to stop looking to increase taxes, not spend the surplus and actually consider a tax cut. Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
That's right, not gonna happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening.
Why would your Democrats change their ways if people will still vote for them as they are now? The voters need to change who they vote for.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:30 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Why would your Democrats change their ways if people will still vote for them as they are now? The voters need to change who they vote for.
Exactly. I also don’t see that happening, so it will be more of the same.

Old 05-22-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
True but gutting the product in search of short term return results in a product that is no longer appealing to buyers.
The gutting is truly trimming staff to reduce the cost to produce, which pushes them closer , if not past, the breakeven point.

I am not a PE fan, particularly when they infrequently buy healthy corps, but in this case, they bought a dog of a corp. So bad-what precluded alternatives is No One wanted the flagship Tribune. Reminds me of NY Daily News which sold for $1 a few years ago.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:01 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The gutting is truly trimming staff to reduce the cost to produce, which pushes them closer , if not past, the breakeven point.

I am not a PE fan, particularly when they infrequently buy healthy corps, but in this case, they bought a dog of a corp. So bad-what precluded alternatives is No One wanted the flagship Tribune. Reminds me of NY Daily News which sold for $1 a few years ago.
They reduce staff but they also reduce quality. The Boston Herald is barely doing the half the stories they did before the buyout and the Denver Post went from 200 journalist to less than 70.

Newspapers are a business but they are also an essential service either in print or online. It's unfortunate that there aren't enough philanthropists to support local newspapers. It doesn't always have to be about making more money.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:32 PM

I just hope they leave the Courant's business section be. It is the only paper in Ct who covers our economic conditions fairly. It is also the only one who regularly interviews CBIA members in conjunction with such columns.

The Post & Register have become so meaningless in terms of what they cover. Each IMO is just riding out the time they have left w/o true effort at improving the product.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
They reduce staff but they also reduce quality. The Boston Herald is barely doing the half the stories they did before the buyout and the Denver Post went from 200 journalist to less than 70.

Newspapers are a business but they are also an essential service either in print or online. It's unfortunate that there aren't enough philanthropists to support local newspapers. It doesn't always have to be about making more money.
I just described the Register & Post as inept. Great proof below. This is why I am not against Alden taking over the chain owning the Courant. The last picture, Eric Muth, who used to see me glasses, in front of the Milford Nike site remains. Read the sentence below..Del Reeves Road. I had to google it. It is the Glastonbury Nike site. Ted Baxter was a better journalist than that.

https://www.nhregister.com/entertain...=nhrhpdontmiss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut