Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2021, 06:21 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
So because an industry is regulated by the federal government, it's part of the public sector? I don't think I've ever heard that argument before, and frankly it doesn't make much sense to me. If you're saying that defense contractors who rely on revenue received due to government contracts are part of the public sector, that still seems a stretch, but I can see the connection, however tenuous. But finance and insurance? I'm not buying that.
I agree. What industry isn’t heavily regulated by the government? The construction industry is regulated by government and relies on government contracts for a good part of its existence. I would not consider it to be public sector. No one considers insurance and finance public sector. If you look at job reports it's not considered that.

I also do not consider aviation part of the public sector. Pratt & Whitney may have government contracts but it is the largest manufacturer of commercial jet engines for airlines. How does that make it public? It certainly does not rely its existence. Even Sikorsky is considered a private business. Jay

Old 05-10-2021, 07:27 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. What industry isn’t heavily regulated by the government? The construction industry is regulated by government and relies on government contracts for a good part of its existence. I would not consider it to be public sector. No one considers insurance and finance public sector. If you look at job reports it's not considered that.

I also do not consider aviation part of the public sector. Pratt & Whitney may have government contracts but it is the largest manufacturer of commercial jet engines for airlines. How does that make it public? It certainly does not rely its existence. Even Sikorsky is considered a private business. Jay

IMO, Sikorsky is private in name only. It would be quite small w/o government contracts. P&W would be mid-size w/o government as they are less government dependent.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:35 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Aviation was largely regulated until the late 1970s, President Carter changed that along with rail lines and trucking. Back then prices were fixed but they competed on amenities. Now airlines are cheaper but people show up in sweat pants...

Construction might depend on what percentage the firm has for public work.

The federal government can hire federal contractors from its own website so to suggest that it isn't connected can be a bit odd.

There's what you do, what you do it for and where it is. I invest in tech but also consumables. Read this article
https://thedieline.com/blog/2020/4/2...-a-paper-tube?
"If we convert just 10 percent of our current deodorant packages to recycled paper or another recyclable material, it could eliminate up to 1.5 million pounds of plastic waste annually,"

So they go though 15 million pounds of plastic on this one product line alone. Last I checked they didn't make plastic so some supplier there is about to see a loss of 10% of their order. I'd be a bit concerned on the other 90%. I doubt it's more than one company. This has been a gradual trend. I remember seeing Ban back in the day with a paper box for no reason. McDonalds went though this back in the 80s (BLT anyone?). Paper, packaging and styrofoam (DD got rid of theirs) industries have changed significantly in the past 30 years. No one wants to be the next lead paint company.

These types of decisions are made every day in business. I know of a rail management company that was in competition with another. Now they already had the contract for years (eight I think) so everyone and I mean everyone thought they were 100% assured to win...they didn't. the company was a partnership between others and it was dissolved.

If all it takes is one government or corporate action to dissolve a whole company or industry I'd say that's dependency. There are some businesses I know of that do their own r&d, m&a and hardly do anything with public funds. But I just don't see that in CT. There's been layoffs in the defense sector that has significant impacts in ct.

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/10/02/n...es-to-582.html
"The layoffs at Electric Boat are the latest in a series of job reductions at military contractors in Connecticut, which relies heavily on defense-related industries.

In Montville, near Groton, the entire 1,100-person work force at the UNC Naval Products plant will be phased out over the next two years, as the Department of Energy has decided to use a Virginia company, the Babcock & Wilcox Company of Lynchburg, as its sole source of nuclear reactors for submarines.

And in Stratford, Sikorsky Aircraft, a helicopter manufacturer, has laid off 1,350 employees from a work force that 20 months ago was 12,650.

East Hartford-based Pratt & Whitney, an aircraft-engine manufacturer, two months ago announced plans to eliminate 2,000 of its 26,000 jobs in Connecticut, mostly through attrition."

Yeah you might say this was 30 years ago and I get that but what's to prevent another cut at this point? We haven't had a BRAC hearing since 1995. CT only has three military bases left (Groton and New London). If we're looking to do significant spending and aren't raising enough in taxes something is going to have to be cut (it's not going to be Medicare or social security) it's probably going to be the military.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...-spending.html

Old 05-13-2021, 12:55 PM

Frito Lay is expanding its Killingly plant and adding 120 jobs. The expansion will cost a whopping $235 million. Wow! Great news. Jay

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...t-add-120-jobs

Old 05-13-2021, 01:22 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Connecticut businesses are struggling to find workers even though economy is slowly improving and more jobs opening it happening all over the country. A business in Eastern CT is cutting it hours due to not enough workers.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u-...re-11620742194

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticu...o-fill-shifts/

Old 05-13-2021, 04:32 PM

713 posts, read 759,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Connecticut businesses are struggling to find workers even though economy is slowly improving and more jobs opening it happening all over the country. A business in Eastern CT is cutting it hours due to not enough workers.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u-...re-11620742194

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticu...o-fill-shifts/
That's not going to end until all the freebies end.

Who's going to work when they can do nothing and get paid same or even more.
Then they will pay your rent as well. And first 10K UI is tax free.

This is the most stupid gov't policy ever.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
That's not going to end until all the freebies end.

Who's going to work when they can do nothing and get paid same or even more.
Then they will pay your rent as well. And first 10K UI is tax free.

This is the most stupid gov't policy ever.
I disagree and I’m sure the millions it has helped would join me. We just went through one of the most difficult periods in our country’s history. Without that additional support it would have made it a lot worse. You may not have needed it but you are in the minority.

Of course this discussion is off topic to the Connecticut forum. If you want to discuss it further here are better forums for that. Please go there. Jay

Old 05-13-2021, 07:17 PM

I did read Merritt7 will apparently get true service, and that is a nice move.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:02 AM

Two more Bond rating agencies have upgraded Connecticut’s Bond rating. This reflects the states improving finances and the nearly $4 billion Rainy Day Fund. Great news. Jay

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...ead-of-1b-sale

Old 05-14-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Frito Lay is expanding its Killingly plant and adding 120 jobs. The expansion will cost a whopping $235 million. Wow! Great news. Jay

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...t-add-120-jobs
Very good. No surprise at cost. Its an automated production/vacuum sealed packaging operation, and that stuff is complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut