Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 03:34 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,627,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
When considering the desirability of Newton does the very tragic events of Dec. 2012 enter into the equation?
Of course not.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:56 PM

302 posts, read 296,235 times
It didn't influence our decision to look there. We ultimately ended up in Trumbull...but bad things can happen anywhere.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:42 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,907,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
When considering the desirability of Newton does the very tragic events of Dec. 2012 enter into the equation? Are there some people that might shy away from moving to the town? From my own perspective it would not influence me one way or the other.

Curious what others think.
Just ftr, it's actually NewTOWN, not Newton. Some people do confuse the name. To answer the question though, I think most people realize such a tragedy could happen anywhere.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:18 AM

678 posts, read 848,039 times
Whoever deleted CT A&M's posts, thank you. I want to make this clear for the (4th?) time that I have no personal vendetta against Trumbull. Nor am I here to trash Trumbull and only hear praise about Newtown. That'd be pretty stupid of me. I grew up in this town. I don't know anything about Trumbull for the most part, so, I wanted opinions on what town would you pick and why. Listen, I don't have a superiority complex, if a town is better than Newtown, I'm not gonna slash you for heresy. I just want to know why and what makes you think/feel so. That's all. I, personally think several towns in FFC and even Hartford County are better than Newtown (In terms of real estate, wealth, schools). I don't even think we're the best in the Greater Danbury Area! I don't know why people think I started this with ill intentions, cause that is the farthest from the truth.

I hold Trumbull in good regard. I like my friend. I have nothing against her. No, I don't bet, contrary to accusations, lol! This was more of a thought I had after our conversation. I believe I've stated this before.

All in all, if you think I'm deceiving or have ulterior motives to this topic, you're wrong. I apologize, I wish I was that easy to be ridden of, lol!

Wow, what a disclaimer. Disappointing...anyways, to answer about the Sandy Hook shooting, I do not think so. I think most of America feels like it was just a random shooting that HAPPENED to be in CT. Most Connecticut residents feel the same way that I've talked to. Including friends and family friends around and far from the area. Personally, I feel the same. It's unfortunate it happened in my town, so close to me. I feel like it could have happened anywhere, honestly, and it is an extreme outlier, one no town like Newtown would ever expect for it to happen.

With that said, no, I don't think it affected the look of the town much. Initially, quite a bit, but much of it was inflated through social media. We've moved on for the most part, and there seems to be more of a unity amongst the community. I guess some good can come out of alotta evil. People might be turned off, I'm sure, but, there is no logical reason for them to, if they know the real story about the shooting and the shooter. Can't hold them responsible for knowing, but, I really don't think when people look at real estate and schools of Newtown, the shooting comes much to play. I hope so, atleast.

I honestly don't like talking about the shooting. I used to say some things initially, but, I've gotten tired of how much my town gets noted for it. I usually keep the conversations to people from Newtown, and even then, I'm selective.

Aside from the shooting, there is very little to nonexistent crime in Newtown. I hardly ever hear of anything happening lately, and I frequent the shopping areas of the town quite a bit and talk with my fellow dwellers.

Trumbull occasionally gets some kind of crackdown by their police. But, I don't hear much about anything else. Both towns are pretty good on their crimes, I'm sure.

Regarding income: http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/...ty_facts.xhtml

Type in both towns and you can tell me which town has a higher number.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:31 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,873,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post

Regarding income: American FactFinder - Community Facts

Type in both towns and you can tell me which town has a higher number.
Newtown: $116,024

Trumbull: $108,667

And just for giggles, the town in between them.

Monroe: $112,605

Old 03-22-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician
You wrote.........
Newtown: $116,024
Trumbull: $108,667
And just for giggles, the town in between them.
Monroe: $112,605

Those incomes all look pretty close to me. Just for "giggles" I put in Stratford & Milford household incomes into that site and it came up with this.

Stratford: $67,375
Milford: $78,750

If I were from Stratford (or Milford like Stylo) I would not be making fun of a town (Trumbull) whose income is right up there with Newtown/Monroe and much much higher than both of yours. Even the "poor" sections of Trumbull are significantly more desirable than Stratford and Milford.

BTW, Here is my section of Trumbull in Upper Long Hill and Tashua. I live in Upper Long Hill a few blocks from Tashua.

Long Hill: $113,525
Tashua: $114,453

You obviously missed the point of my post. But if it makes you feel better to disparage Stratford and Milford residents, good on you. Take another week off, why don't you.

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 03-22-2014 at 04:02 PM..

Old 03-22-2014, 04:52 PM

642 posts, read 859,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You obviously missed the point of my post. But if it makes you feel better to disparage Stratford and Milford residents, good on you. Take another week off, why don't you.
I get everyone's points loud and clear in this thread when discussiong my town.

I see a lot of people who are dispariging my town, saying "Newtown is better" doing a lot of giggling and Ha, ha ha (in other words laughing) when conversing about my town. I have never done that.

Don't forget I have been talking about my section of Tashua and Upper Long Hill.

Here is some updated house sale info right from city data from 2013. You need to scroll down to the blue box.

HOME SALES NEWTOWN CT 2013
Below $350,000
Trending DOWNWARD

HOME SALES TRUMBULL CT 2013
Above $350,000
Trending UPWARD

http://www.city-data.com/city/Newtown-Connecticut.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Trumbull-Connecticut.html

You can all laugh at my town, say "Newtown is better" and disparage it all you want and "giggle" and "ha, ha, ha" when talking about Trumbull. Those of us who live in the northern sections of Trumbull do find our area desirable and the data on here looks like it is bearing that out. In fact the home sales bear it out the desirability for the entire town.

BTW, I am not disparaging Stratford and Milford residents....just a few people on here who happen to be from those towns. In other words someone from Stratford (whose HH income is much lower than Trumbull) is "giggling" about a few thousand dollars in difference from Trumbull/Monroe/Newtown but seems to take great delight that Trumbull is lower even though by a small amount. You put the work "giggle" in there.

Note to all moderators: that was a private message of mine that was put out in the open.

Last edited by CTartist&musician; 03-22-2014 at 05:28 PM..

Old 03-22-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post

Note to all moderators: that was a private message of mine that was put out in the open.

From TOS: "You agree that there is no excpectation<sic> of privacy when using the Direct Message function."

DM's are fair game. If you aren't friendly with the person, it's probably a good idea to not DM them.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:38 PM

678 posts, read 848,039 times
Tell me who said Trumbull sucks/is terrible? And quote the exact phrase, please. I don't want interpretations. I can interpret it another way, too, if I want. I don't know why you're so defensive about Trumbull. I never said anything bad about it. I actually took a stroll there earlier as well as Monroe. Good weather and felt like driving so I finally got around to checking random neighborhoods and main street.

Anyways...I'm curious. If I had changed Newtown to Ridgefield, would CT A&M still talk about how much more wealthy her town is and how the houses bordering Easton hit over $1 mil? Oh, how I wish I could go back in time just to experiment this idea, lol! x_x

Also, I said no more mention of other towns (well, mainly Greater Bridgeport ones) in this topic. I'm sick of seeing Fairfield and Stratford in this discussion. We've had that enough, already. Milford isn't even in our county. I don't know why you wasted your time looking that up. I don't care.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:48 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,233,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post

I see a lot of people who are dispariging my town, saying "Newtown is better" doing a lot of giggling and Ha, ha ha (in other words laughing) when conversing about my town. I have never done that.

.[/b]
I don't think anyone here is laughing at your town. Your defensiveness of it maybe; but not at the town itself.

And btw, you did refer to to Newtown as "Hicksville" very early on in this post...You opened that can of worms yourself, and I'm thinking you probably lost credibility right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut