Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 12:21 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,427,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
I dont think this is a good move.....why spend so much on a new stadium when the Rock Cats are thriving in new britain? Doesn't make sense to me....sounds political
I don't necessarily know if the Rock Cats are "thriving." Their attendance has been in a steady decline three seasons running. They need some sort of shot in the arm - a change in affiliation (the affiliation with the Twins expires at the end of this year) is never a sure thing. While 12 other AA affiliations are up for renewal/negotiation, there's no guarantee that the Rock Cats would end up with somebody other than the Twins or that a new affiliate would bring more fans in (the other affiliations that expire this year are Bowie/Baltimore, Erie/Detroit, Richmond/San Francisco, Chattanooga/Dodgers, Huntsville/Milwaukee, Jackson/Seattle, Jacksonville/Miami, Mobile/Arizona, Midland/Oakland, San Antonio/San Diego, and Tulsa/Colorado)

Simultaneously, their lease at New Britain Stadium expires at the end of next year. Need for shot in the arm + stadium lease expiration usually make for a team at least looking at relocation possibilities.

As for cost, $60M for a AA stadium isn't that far off. The five newest AA parks are Regions Field (Birmingham, AL, opened in 2013), Pensacola Bayfront Stadium (Pensacola, FL, opened in 2012), ONEOK Field (Tulsa, OK, opened in 2010), Arvest Ballpark (Springdale, AR, opened in 2008), and Dickey-Stephens Park (North Little Rock, AR, opened in 2007). Of these parks, Pensacola's was the cheapest ($24.5M in 2014 dollars) and Birmingham's was the most expensive ($64.8M in 2014 dollars.) Of the remaining 3, 2 were in the $40M range and 1 was in the $50M range. It should also be pointed out that all five of those parks are in states that generally have lower labor/construction costs than CT.

Additionally, there's two AA parks that were either proposed or under construction - Biloxi's under construction park and a new park for Richmond. The Biloxi park will cost $36M while Richmond's proposed park was to have cost $79.6M (which also would have included a hotel, apartments, and a grocery store as part of a mixed use development - those costs are part of the $79.6M).

All told then, I think $60M for a new AA park is in the neighborhood of what it "should" cost in the current market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 01:22 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
There is already a thread started on this topic. I am going to merge the two together. JayCT, Moderator

Old 06-05-2014, 02:00 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,488,793 times
Cost Breakdown for the new stadium.

Rock Cats Ballpark Economics, By the Numbers | WNPR News

They had a firm conduct a study to show how much the new stadium would cost. I am no expert in the when it comes to stadiums but it looks low. I am familiar with earth work and looking at the costs just for earthwork (demo, utilities and foundation) for a price tag of $3.3m seems low. My guess is that the whole project will cost between $70-$75m

Old 06-05-2014, 02:30 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,560,349 times
Thank you for the link! Interesting! Going by the rendering, it looks as if home plate will be facing east towards the Connecticut River and East Hartford, using the so-called "Stilts" building in the center foreground for reference.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't New Britain Stadium, which cost close to $12 million to build in 1995-96, constructed mostly with state funding?

Old 06-06-2014, 04:09 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,488,793 times
Can anyone explain how they will create 600 " full time equivilant" jobs? Currently they have only 125 that work for them ( seasonal and part time).

Also, reading articles with local business owners they said that it won't really hurt them when the rockcats leave because the games never really brought them a ton of business. People never went out before or after the games. So, if this same mentality is brought to Hartford, how is this a win for Hartford businesses? It just seems like more headache for the people who want to go to local businesses downtown and not to the game. Does anyone think this will backfire?

Also, who is paying for the new stadium? Is it the city of Hartford? Do tax payers have to foot his bill? Just asking.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:54 PM

713 posts, read 758,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Can anyone explain how they will create 600 " full time equivilant" jobs? Currently they have only 125 that work for them ( seasonal and part time).

Also, reading articles with local business owners they said that it won't really hurt them when the rockcats leave because the games never really brought them a ton of business. People never went out before or after the games. So, if this same mentality is brought to Hartford, how is this a win for Hartford businesses? It just seems like more headache for the people who want to go to local businesses downtown and not to the game. Does anyone think this will backfire?

Also, who is paying for the new stadium? Is it the city of Hartford? Do tax payers have to foot his bill? Just asking.
The current location in New Britain is the problem, it's kind of far from Downtown or where most businesses are. People usually just drive to the game, watch it and drive home.

The location in Hartford is where the difference is, people living in downtown or working there can actually eat and drink in downtown and then just walk to the game and vice versa after the game.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:50 PM

442 posts, read 455,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
The current location in New Britain is the problem, it's kind of far from Downtown or where most businesses are. People usually just drive to the game, watch it and drive home.

The location in Hartford is where the difference is, people living in downtown or working there can actually eat and drink in downtown and then just walk to the game and vice versa after the game.
Yeah, cuz that's exactly the best neighborhood for eating, drinking and walking around after the game. The people that work in downtown don't live there. Their families would still have to get downtown for the games if you wanted to make it a family event.

Anyways, $60 million dollar stadium in a year and a half? You can quote me on this, never gonna happen.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:58 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,798,777 times
I would rather see the money directed at getting an NHL team back to Hartford. A minor league franchise is not going to elevate the status of the city. For the Rock Cat fans it most likely will result in a big increase in ticket prices which is the attractiveness of going to a minor league game. This could adversely affect attendance.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:53 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,560,349 times
They were already increasing the prices on some tickets here in New Britain, with some seats in the back of sections 211 and 212 going for $20. All seats on the day of game cost an extra $2. That was something they never did before this season (day-of-game increase). Parking is $5 for most people.

As for the NHL, that will NEVER happen again. Besides, where would the new arena go? That parcel on Main Street is now taken and they wouldn't play in the XL Center.

My brother is the type who still doesn't fully believe this is all happening until he physically sees the shovels and bulldozers actually moving the dirt to start the foundations. I told him that if they said "Surprise! It was all a big joke!" now, they'd lose the trust of every single fan in the state.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:22 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,363 times
The NHL will never bring a team back to Hartford. No arena , smack dab in the middle of two extremely successful franchises. And they had barely supported the Whalers when they had them.

As far as the Rock Cats go. I think if done right the new stadium could really help DT Hartford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut