Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 02:31 PM

642 posts, read 859,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I've been waiting for someone knowledgeable to point this out. I'm in Trumbull every day, there are numerous neighborhoods with modest homes and lot sizes. I don't think some people have an accurate mental image of Trumbull, they think all of Trumbull is Tashua style with large colonials and 1+ acre lots. That's not even remotely accurate.
Now that we are talking about zoning I remember why they changed the kids around. it's coming back to me. If you see a Trumbull zoning map about 1/2 of the town is 1/2 acre zoning with many houses on 1/4 acre lots. Many years ago it used to be 1/4 acre. The other half of the town is 1 acre with many properties in Tashua over 2 acres.

Now I remember that the student to teacher ratio in the 1 acre zone was very low and the student to teacher ratio in the 1/2 zoning was very high because of course there are more kids in the smaller 1/4 to 1/2 acres streets. About 5 years ago they evened out the student to teacher ratios and were over crowded. Some of the schools if the densely populated areas had very high student to teacher ratios and that is why years back some schools were much better than others. Now Trumbull has a more even and fair student to teacher ratio in the school system. You can see that in the numbers as to how the schools are very close in numerical value. It's more fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 09:51 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree that it has nothing to do with the schools. I know a number of people with kids in McKinley and they love it. The town goes above and beyond to make the school better than others. I even know a family that based their home search on being able to stay in McKinley and they were making a pretty big jump in home quality. Again most people (actually all for that matter) from Fairfield moved to Trumbull for more house for their money.

As for your rant, I disagree. The town should have NEVER closed one of the high schools years back to begin with. Fairfield is a big town ((nearly 60,000 people) so there will always be a lot of high school kids. The number of students will go up and down which is normal but having it low enough to have just one high school is temporary. The town found this out after a few years with one high school and then suddenly were faced with the need and expense to reopen the second high school. It cost the town millions of dollars to do that and surely wiped out any temporary savings they had by closing Ludlowe. To have one enormous high school would be awful and would effect the quality of the students education. Kids get lost in big high schools and it is harder for teachers and administrators to handle the number of students. Ask any high school teacher and they will agree.
I understand where you're coming from, and I'm going to disagree as well. I'd be the first to agree that two schools would be needed if the town's baby boom was going upward for a good bit, but it's already down and decreasing. If you see the prospectus that the BOE put out you'll see what I'm talking about.

As well, I was at Fairfield High with the highest graduating class (about 600 students) and there is a stark difference between the overall attitudes of the "high school experience" pre and post split. Almost everyone with the one school experience could make new friends easier, the smaller schools became snake pits of one bad move haunting students and a lot more social pressure. There were too many people to really torment anyone because hey, who knew everyone much less remember the minutia of details to keep track of? Haha Joking aside, there's more to High School than just academics: learning how to be a functional adult matters too.

That said, I think in Fairfield itself the high school teachers may not be on board with the "smaller is certainly better" mindset.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:59 AM

287 posts, read 623,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
I understand where you're coming from, and I'm going to disagree as well. I'd be the first to agree that two schools would be needed if the town's baby boom was going upward for a good bit, but it's already down and decreasing. If you see the prospectus that the BOE put out you'll see what I'm talking about.

As well, I was at Fairfield High with the highest graduating class (about 600 students) and there is a stark difference between the overall attitudes of the "high school experience" pre and post split. Almost everyone with the one school experience could make new friends easier, the smaller schools became snake pits of one bad move haunting students and a lot more social pressure. There were too many people to really torment anyone because hey, who knew everyone much less remember the minutia of details to keep track of? Haha Joking aside, there's more to High School than just academics: learning how to be a functional adult matters too.

That said, I think in Fairfield itself the high school teachers may not be on board with the "smaller is certainly better" mindset.
What's your opinion of Bronxville or Tuckahoe, NY high schools that only have 100 kids in a graduating class and all students, K-12, in one building?

I also think this Trumbull poster, CTartist, is likely a realtor in town. She seems to have an agenda to push that Trumbull schools are better. Simply put, there's less money in Trumbull to offer the "extra" stuff that makes Fairfield so special. They have a good marching band and that's it. Also, it's all about town life, and having a Chips on the Monroe border and one Starbucks isn't all that impressive. Oh, and a Cheesecake Factory too!

Old 05-09-2015, 07:46 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whome224 View Post
What's your opinion of Bronxville or Tuckahoe, NY high schools that only have 100 kids in a graduating class and all students, K-12, in one building?

I also think this Trumbull poster, CTartist, is likely a realtor in town. She seems to have an agenda to push that Trumbull schools are better. Simply put, there's less money in Trumbull to offer the "extra" stuff that makes Fairfield so special. They have a good marching band and that's it. Also, it's all about town life, and having a Chips on the Monroe border and one Starbucks isn't all that impressive. Oh, and a Cheesecake Factory too!
K-12 in one building? Just sounds... isolating.

And don't get me wrong Trumbull is a great town, just less economically and ethnically diverse than Fairfield. But the actual quality of education is more or less the same for both school districts. I really just can't see there being that much of a difference.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
K-12 in one building? Just sounds... isolating.

And don't get me wrong Trumbull is a great town, just less economically and ethnically diverse than Fairfield. But the actual quality of education is more or less the same for both school districts. I really just can't see there being that much of a difference.
In Fairfield, the extracurriculars are MUCH better, plus there's a certain je ne sais quoi about going to school with very wealthy people that inspires the other students.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:39 PM

1,241 posts, read 903,301 times
Are you a realtor in Fairfield?

Quote:
In Fairfield, the extracurriculars are MUCH better, plus there's a certain je ne sais quoi about going to school with very wealthy people that inspires the other students.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:

I am an graphic artist, illustrator and musician. The 2 last things I would want to be in this lifetime with my talents is a politician or a realtor.

I was just pointing out that our schools perform well compared to the south eastern schools in Fairfield and these numbers show that is correct. Someone said they are coming to Trumbull for the big houses and I pointed out that my area (Upper Long Hill-Tashua bolded below) has many small houses but very good schools. Here are the numbers from the site someone posted on here to back it up, that's all.

Elementary schools:
Frenchtown (southern border, good for them) Trumbull = 66
BoothHill Trumbull = 74
Tashua Trumbull = 76
Middlebrook (Upper Long Hill) Trumbull = 82

Daniels Farm Trumbull = 88
Jane Ryan Trumbull = 117

Jennings (south eastern) Fairfield = 124
McKinley (south eastern) Fairfield = 180

Middle Schools
Hillcrest Trumbull = 25
Madison Trumbull = 28

Fairfield Woods (eastern) Fairfield = 33
Tomilson (eastern) Fairfield = 36

Wow!!! if you think money alone makes a place special I am sure glad I didn't move to Fairfield with that sort of attitude coming from it's residents. I am on this site because I am researching Branford, Guilford and Madison for retirement. I like Branford and Guilford MUCH BETTER than Fairfield because the folks are so nice and down to earth even though they have much less income than Fairfield or Trumbull. I will go further to say that if someone gave me a home paid for in Fairfield I would not take it. I would rather go live in Branford or Guilford.

I will further say that I might be able to afford to stay in my home in Trumbull for retirement but I will not. I can't stand this Fairfield County attitude of I have more money than you therefore I am better. I love my little home in Trumbull but I HATE HATE HATE the attitude of many Fairfield County residents so I will leave it.

Last edited by CTartist&musician; 05-09-2015 at 03:41 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
I will further say that I might be able to afford to stay in my home in Trumbull for retirement but I will not. I can't stand this Fairfield County attitude of I have more money than you therefore I am better. I love my little home in Trumbull but I HATE HATE HATE the attitude of many Fairfield County residents so I will leave it.
That's why there are different towns - something for everyone

Old 05-09-2015, 06:11 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
I can't stand this Fairfield County attitude of I have more money than you therefore I am better. I love my little home in Trumbull but I HATE HATE HATE the attitude of many Fairfield County residents so I will leave it.
I lived in Newtown and worked (mostly) in Stamford. What you describe here was a major component in leading me to leave CT.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I lived in Newtown and worked (mostly) in Stamford. What you describe here was a major component in leading me to leave CT.
I am just curious... where did you go and how do you like it and the people compared to Fairfield County?

Sorry to go off the topic of education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut