Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2018, 07:20 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The embarrassment is the comment below.... I-84 should have been a minimum of 3 lanes from Brewster to Hartford shortly after I-86 was completed. That road had traffic problems when I lived in Danbury back in 1981/1982. The construction should have all been in the late-1980s or early 1990s.

I-91 from Hartford to Springfield was also two lanes in each direction until the early 1990's. Maybe that's partly why i-84 is still two lanes since the state couldn't take on two major projects at the same time or they didn't have enough money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 07:31 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
So you are advocating a massive increase in the gas tax PLUS implementation of tolls to pay for these projects that "think big"? Remember Connecticut has limited funds to pay for these projects. And there are limited Federal funds available to the state so these types of massive projects are not easy to implement. Like the Big Dig in Boston, a special Congressional allocation of money is necessary and getting that is not easy, if possible at all. Why should Congress provide billions of extra dollars to a small state where the need for such an elaborate project is questionable at best.

And act7ually Congressman John Larson has proposed a massive project to bury I-84 and I-91 in Hartford. Of course there is no money to pay for such a project but still it is out there just waiting for someone like you to advocate it and figure out a way to pay for it. Jay
Two pages ago I showed that there is a 3rd way to pay for this. No tolling of existing roadways, no hike to the gas tax.

How do others pay for it? C’mon, this is not rocket science. We won’t get anywhere with the same mindset that brought us this pickle.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:34 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Well 84 in the Waterbury area has basically been under some form of construction for over 20 years most of it with severe time and budget overruns.
Because of the cost and scale of the project, the reconstruction and widening of I-84 in eastern Waterbury and Cheshire was broken down in sections. The first section, which was in downtown east of the Route 8 stack was completed several decades ago was the most important since the highway was too narrow, had a lot of traffic and had a high accident rate. The second section in eastern Waterbury and Cheshire, was completed a number of years back and was the easiest and least expensive because it did not impact a lot of private properties or wetlands. The current project completes the widening. The reason this has taken so long is of course funding.

The state needs to prioritize these projects with the limited money they have and quite frankly these sections were not important enough to warrant money sooner. I-95 in Bridgeport, Norwalk and the New Haven areas were deemed more important and required a lot of the state's resources. Add in projects like the Sikorsky Bridge replacement and Route 7 extension, among others and you can see why it has taken so long. Jay

Old 08-31-2018, 07:34 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Two pages ago I showed that there is a 3rd way to pay for this. No tolling of existing roadways, no hike to the gas tax.

How do others pay for it? C’mon, this is not rocket science. We won’t get anywhere with the same mindset that brought us this pickle.
Just hired Japanese to widen highway they will get it done under 10 years

Old 08-31-2018, 07:51 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Because of the cost and scale of the project, the reconstruction and widening of I-84 in eastern Waterbury and Cheshire was broken down in sections. The first section, which was in downtown east of the Route 8 stack was completed several decades ago was the most important since the highway was too narrow, had a lot of traffic and had a high accident rate. The second section in eastern Waterbury and Cheshire, was completed a number of years back and was the easiest and least expensive because it did not impact a lot of private properties or wetlands. The current project completes the widening. The reason this has taken so long is of course funding.

The state needs to prioritize these projects with the limited money they have and quite frankly these sections were not important enough to warrant money sooner. I-95 in Bridgeport, Norwalk and the New Haven areas were deemed more important and required a lot of the state's resources. Add in projects like the Sikorsky Bridge replacement and Route 7 extension, among others and you can see why it has taken so long. Jay
Though if they raise the gas tax by 31 cents. Then add $1 toll M-F to the: Igor I. Skiorsky Bridge; Bulkeley Bridge; Pearl Harbor Memorial Bridge; Gold Star Memorial Bridge; Commodore Issac Hull Memorial Bridge; Arrigoni Bridge. The State would have a decent amount of cash to complete transportation projects and improve infrastructure.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:29 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Sen. Murphy: State economy is hurting from slow commute times to NY, Boston

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticu...ton/1408189921

Old 09-04-2018, 09:34 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

I doubt there are many CT residents commuting to Boston every day and the few who do probably drive.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:50 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I doubt there are many CT residents commuting to Boston every day and the few who do probably drive.
The article focuses on train commuters.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:30 PM

9,096 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The article focuses on train commuters.
Exactly. I do not know why this article even mentions Boston, poor quality journalism I guess. I highly doubt it is even feasible to commute from anywhere in Connecticut to the Boston suburbs, much less Boston proper.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:08 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,266 times
Quote:

Sen Murphy lives in DC with his family. There should be term limits. After a bit they become too removed in more ways than one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut