Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 PM

10,084 posts, read 14,463,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason180 View Post
Welcome back to CT.

Why leave Bport? It's about a 35 minute drive to NYC, plenty of entertainment options for a 20 year old guy looking for something to do on a Saturday night. Just move to a better neighborhood.
It ain't a 35 minute drive!! I live in Stamford and with absolutely no traffic, it takes a good 45 minutes. Bridgeport is more like an hour and 10 minute drive to the city. In answer to 'why leave Bridgeport'--I would venture a guess--it's dangerous and can be somewhat depressing. I searched for homes to purchase there and some of the neighborhoods are worse than anything I've seen in NYC. Bridgeport is rough! Hopefully the new mayor can clean up the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 02:44 PM

271 posts, read 1,278,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
It ain't a 35 minute drive!! I live in Stamford and with absolutely no traffic, it takes a good 45 minutes.
I've done it many, many times. Bridgeport to the NYC border is 40 miles, as long as there aren't any traffic problems on 95 you will hit the Bronx in 35 minutes(less if you drive like my Father). If you know your way around the Bronx you can slip into Manhattan very easily by using one of the smaller bridges.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:43 AM

34,952 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
I searched for homes to purchase there and some of the neighborhoods are worse than anything I've seen in NYC. Bridgeport is rough! Hopefully the new mayor can clean up the city.
Come on now! Bridgeport has its rough areas, but New York does too and they are much larger and scarier. Jay

Old 02-06-2008, 09:47 AM

Most of the violence that occurs in Bridgeport, Hartford, and New Haven is related to drugs and different groups fighting for the right to sell drugs in a particular area. Who is the largest customer base for those drug dealers? People that drive into the city from the suburbs. Nobody ever mentions that! They are quick to judge city residents but they never talk about the people from Westport, Fairfield, Trumbull, Monroe, Etc... that commit crimes(buying drugs or sex) within the city of Bridgeport. That is CT’s dirty little secret that never gets any press.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:50 AM

394 posts, read 2,003,898 times
Quote:
It ain't a 35 minute drive!!
I agree, it is not a 35 minute drive to NYC from Bridgeport.

Editing to say that I suppose it would depend on what part of NYC you were driving to.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:00 AM

34,952 posts, read 56,989,667 times
It is over 40 miles from Bridgeport to the Bronx but making that trip in 35 minutes would be pushing it, even for a fast driver. Without traffic it probably could be done in 45 minutes but even that is pushing IMHO. Jay

Old 02-06-2008, 10:21 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,014,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason180 View Post
Most of the violence that occurs in Bridgeport, Hartford, and New Haven is related to drugs and different groups fighting for the right to sell drugs in a particular area. Who is the largest customer base for those drug dealers? People that drive into the city from the suburbs. Nobody ever mentions that! They are quick to judge city residents but they never talk about the people from Westport, Fairfield, Trumbull, Monroe, Etc... that commit crimes(buying drugs or sex) within the city of Bridgeport. That is CT’s dirty little secret that never gets any press.
So are the people from the burbs driving in and committing rape, burglary, assualts, stealing cars and other property too?

Crime in the cities is not just from drug wars, nor is all of the violence in the cities drug related. That is a fallasy.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
I agree, it is not a 35 minute drive to NYC from Bridgeport.

Editing to say that I suppose it would depend on what part of NYC you were driving to.
Bridgeport to Bronx = 40.9 miles

Distance Calculator: How Far Is It? — Infoplease.com

Exit 14 is the first exit in the Bronx if you are traveling southbound on i-95. The New England Thruway,which is I-95 between exit 8(pelham Parkway) in the Bronx and the border of Connecticut is only 15 miles.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
So are the people from the burbs driving in and committing rape, burglary, assualts, stealing cars and other property too?

Crime in the cities is not just from drug wars, nor is all of the violence in the cities drug related. That is a fallasy.
I'm tired of everybody in this forum putting down people from Bridgeport, Waterbury, and Hartford.

I said most of the VIOLENCE in the city is a result of the drug trade. I already stated some people from the 'burbs are entering our cities to buy drugs or sex which fuels the drug game. They are just as guilty as the dealers. They prefer to commit their other crimes(assault, rape, etc..) in their own backyards in their small towns.

Take a look at what some of Manchester Connecticut's fine citizens have been up to during January and February:

A 31-year-old Manchester man is facing 129 charges involving the sexual assault of children.
---
Leo P. Labbe of 190 Maple St., Manchester Conn. is scheduled to be arraigned March 14 on charges of open and gross lewdness and indecent exposure.
----
A Manchester man who is a registered sex offender will spend the next three years behind bars for repeatedly raping a woman he knew in 2004 and 2005, a Superior Court judge ruled Thursday.

The man, Shawn Irwin, 38, whose last address was Walnut Street, has been locked up since April 2005, when police say he visited the woman's workplace, rushed her from behind, pushed her across the office, and forcibly kissed her.
The woman told police after the office assault that Irwin raped her on three separate occasions between December 2004 and March 2005, according to an affidavit supporting his arrest.
---

A Manchester man was arraigned in Superior Court in Manchester Thursday on sexual assault charges, police said.

Police said they served a warrant at court Thursday morning to arrest Darnell McCray, 18, of Wells Street, charging him with two counts of second-degree sexual assault, three counts of risk of injury, possession of less than 4 ounces of marijuana and possession of marijuana within 1,500 feet of a school.

---
A Manchester man who police say has a history of violent crimes - including manslaughter, assault, and threatening - was arraigned Monday on charges that he tried to attack his teenage son with a knife over the weekend.

The man, Steven Pinto, 53, of 21 Glenwood St., was charged with attempt to commit second-degree assault, first-degree reckless endangerment, second-degree threatening, risk of injury to a minor, and disorderly conduct during his arraignment in Manchester Superior Court.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:38 PM

77 posts, read 325,570 times
the violence dynamic is different in every city. I have lived, worked, and gone to school for 18 years in Hartford and Windsor and have met enough drug dealers and gang members and heared enough, seen enough, and in my younger years participated in enough violence to know percisely how it works in this praticular city. I would NOT however, attempt to characterize crime and violence in another city, even a nearby one like Waterbury. I haven't lived among the people and learned enough to make any statements. Same for any city.

While general trends exists, its those little specifics and nuances that complete the picture that can't be learned on the internet or in the news. It takes first hand knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut