Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 08:33 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
There is nothing redeeming about this offer other than job title. And I don't care about job title. I care about pay and benefits that are at least average. This company's benefits are BELOW average across the board. No 401k matching....seriously?! Without the matching, it's really like I'm getting paid $66K to be a freekin' manager. In the finance/accounting world, $66K for a manager role is a JOKE!
You completely missed all of what I said. You are unemployed. You need a job, regardless of it being a joke to your field. You can live on that for a year, not bite into your savings, and then move on, voluntarily, so as not to look bad for your resume.

You could always accept, tell them you can't start for 4 weeks due to moving, see if you get other hits, and rescind if you do

Or, you can just cross your fingers you find something ....and if not, enjoy draining your savings.

FYI, I've been in your position--well, not the shaky unemployment background, I got laid off after 8 years with a company and had been moving up the ladder--they downsized us to get new employees at lower salaries. I actually had a few recruiters call me back for my same position, in the same company.

I didn't work, at a full time job, for 6.5 months...and while I didn't take anything full time lower than what I was previously offered, I did take some contract jobs here and there (that paid WAY less than what I was making before, but more than my unemployment,) to help me out. It also put a pause on my unemployment so when the 8 weeks was up...I had the opportunity to extend my unemployment. However, I got the offer in my current field, paid my dues that first year (I was WELL underpaid for my field...about 20K, since the hospital I was in was smaller and totally non profit) and doubled that salary in less than 2 years.

But ya know....don't take the advice of someone who has been in a similar situation.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:34 AM

4,460 posts, read 3,354,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V&L View Post
the offer is not insulting at all and foes not reflect poorly on you in any way, you are wrapped up in all the wrong things to focus on.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:35 AM

265 posts, read 488,318 times
This entire thread is so fascinating. But I completely disagree with Nep's assertion that they should pay him more/give him more sick time/etc. I also have a masters. And a PhD. In a specialized field where, depending on the job/position you have, the average salary is somewhere around 150K. And I took a position that pays less, offers me less vacation time than I would like (and is half of what my husband makes). Why? Because I looked around and saw that while this is a highly specialized field with great salaries/benefits, there are plenty of us out there and the competition is becoming more and more an issue for fewer positions. I found a company that (overall) had more positives than negatives. Is it my forever job? Nope, but it's a good place to start, the experience will be good for me in the long run, and set me up for better things down the road. There's also a chance to move up the ladder at the same company, so who knows.

But despite what *I* think I'm worth, it's all about what the market will bear. I've been fortunate to freelance in addition to my job, and guess what--I'm being paid (albeit on a part time/per-job basis) what not only do I think my skills are worth, but actually quite a bit more. Perhaps if you can't find employment that is suits you, Nep, you could freelance?

Also--Nashville is VERY different from CT. I think I remember you lived briefly in the south? Not only is Nashville one of the hottest towns in the country for relos right now, the quality of life is substantially different from CT. Not bad--just very different.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:37 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
The offer is solidly insulting.

They offered me below-market pay, below-average benefits across the board, and I am certain that I can do better. I'm not just going to swallow whatever offer comes my way. I want my next job to be long term / permanent. I'm not going to take this job only to move into another job shortly after. I want stability.

I'm really shocked at the comments and advice in this thread. It is in sharp contrast to the advice from my professional colleagues and family members, who are resoundingly telling me to AVOID this company and offer at all costs. I believe them more.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:40 AM

Additionally, some benefits (health insurance, etc) is better than NO benefits-did you go with COBRA when they let you go (which is generally around 400-500 a month?) Are you paying for your own out of pocket? If no, to both of those....then you should know, given your field, you are going to get hit on taxes next year, for not being covered. Additionally, not having health benefits at all completely SUCKS. I chose not to have them when I was unemployed...but only because one of my best friends was a doctor at Yale at the time and my other best friend's husband is a dentist (trained in implants, dental surgery, etc) I was extremely lucky I was able to have that option--99.9% of the country does not have that option.

When I took the job after 6.5 months, my benefits were not 100% covered, etc and that is COMPLETELY the norm, in this day and age. Even now, I work for a hospital, it's still not 100%.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:45 AM

Have your professional colleagues and family members been in your position?

Old 03-08-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
Have your professional colleagues and family members been in your position?
I don't know...probably not as dire as my situation. But how can I feel excited or comfortable about relocating for a job that I know is going to pay below market and provide below average benefits? It's depressing. I'm not going to be motivated to work hard as a manager making only $68K. Wtf.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:56 AM

265 posts, read 488,318 times
Perhaps, since you seem to be focusing on your opinion that for a manager, this salary is below market, you could ask if they would be willing to keep the salary at that level but call you a staff accountant? Would that motivate you to work hard, since you would still be the only person in that job, but it wouldn't be a 'managerial' position?

Old 03-08-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy-bound View Post
Perhaps, since you seem to be focusing on your opinion that for a manager, this salary is below market, you could ask if they would be willing to keep the salary at that level but call you a staff accountant? Would that motivate you to work hard, since you would still be the only person in that job, but it wouldn't be a 'managerial' position?
No, not at all. Because even as a staff accountant, I'm worth in the $70K's. I'm telling you, this offer is pathetic.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:04 AM

It's funny how people in this forum advised me against relocating to Columbus because the offer that I received here last year "stinks." Yet now, this offer is even WORSE, and people are advising me to take it. What the hell....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut