Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 09:36 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,837,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACollegeStudent View Post
As mentioned before in previous posts before they were unanimously censored/deleted for the sake of pro-CT idealogy... though being a resident of this state for many years, i'm not surprised by such mentalities. This is the same state that has issues when it comes to certain topics after all. Thankfully, our world is much more global than it has been before, and not everyone relies on FN.

CT is broke economically. One of the reasons? Overspending. Great for the established making $70,000 with full-time jobs, retired with pensions paid in full, degrees 6 years ago and inner-circles, pretty bad for anyone up-coming generations, especially the single ones and our students who will be inheriting these problems left for us.

Any residents remembers when Blumethal was in office? Complete opposite of Malloy. The governors recent actions just proved more interest in favoring corporations and certain interest groups, yet he keeps getting voted in. See the recent HB2 state funding cuts to CT residents, again.

I'm seeing more pointless idle-handling and future generation mish-mash projects that are not helping the current situations, in the state other than burning tax dollars and widening the financial rich-to-poor gap in CT. The residents that know, including my generation from across the country have been speaking out about this. There also has been an increase of greed and corruption and several underlying issues across campuses that aren't meeting student needs. I'm seeing holes in state flags on certain campuses and buildings with equipment so old it's quiet pitiful.

I've posted about this before in a previous thread, but when truth comes out it gets censored out. Also, the semi-silent sneakiness of sheering college students alive with tuition increases, debt-for-life deals, sexism, racism, rising food prices and corrupt company tactics and targets to students on Financial Aid is disgusting. Even the colleges that know are finally opening up about what i've seen and predicted 3 years ago. The banks are still a mess, if anyone recalls CountryWide Scam.

There has also been an increase of white-collar crime and other activities. It seems though however, a pattern of CT having white-collar crime epidemia ever-since Blumenthal left office. As an indirect result When jobs get tough, things get ratty. Crookedness gets rewarded and it's very sad to see the state become this way

As for my fellow students...those that can't own homes right or living wages now thanks to the low-income job runt pandemic and the degree-barrier walls for barnes and noble type jobs, consider it an ironic blessing. Your free to go anywhere you want without getting eaten up by high-taxes and getting trapped in the tax hikes. Take this as an opportunity to see outside the box.
What you're talking about is a nationwide problem. This has been building up for at least 30 years mostly due to Reaganomics aka Trickle down theory. Once this country has been pillaged for all of its wealth by the people in power (which for the most part is NOT politicians) they will move on to the next country and do it again. This is why Sanders and Trump are somewhat popular right now, although I don't think most people can make the connections.

If you want to know how much these people in power care about you and the general population go read up on the "Panama Papers" news story that just broke a few days ago. That is only the 3rd scandal of its type to break in about the last 10 years.

Best we can do is work within the system we have (even though its rigged for the most part) and enjoy our time on Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 09:51 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The money that has been spent at UConn has done a lot for the college and the state. It has brought the university into the 21 Century and made it more prominent which in turn brings in more jobs. The projects you mention have been in the works for a long time and are funded by bonds that were approved back when the state felt it had the money. I believe future projects will be looked upon less favorably but that does not mean they should stop. Actually they can't be. The tech incubator will be particularly important to bring research and development to the area which will hopefully grow into greater businesses and more jobs. This plan has been in the works for decades now and is long overdue. I happen to know a few companies that are looking to move there already when it is built. Jay
Yes I think this is pretty exciting myself, and hope it attracts a lot of business to the area. Silicon Valley was sparked with just a little investment and experimentation by some students (Hewlett-Packard). CT is already between two hubs for financing... no reason one of its cities can't be the next Austin or have its own Silicon Alley in short order.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:00 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,965,555 times
A state job used to be a guaranteed job. Go to school. Get good grades and get a good job. Times are changing.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:57 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
A state job used to be a guaranteed job. Go to school. Get good grades and get a good job. Times are changing.
The world is changing... more efficient tools/processes are making many jobs obsolete. Good companies (and government leaders) will allocate those old resources towards new projects/products that will benefit the public in more or newer ways. This will lead to more jobs being created as well.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:27 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
State job was saying you made it. Stable job, best pay in the state, stellar benefits, no worries about retirement, and didn't have to worry about paying back your college loans.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:04 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Was there suppose to be 6,000 layoffs a few years back under Malloy?

If this is correct who proposed the layoffs and how did it get stopped?

Thanks
He issued and rescinded 6,000 pink slips, after issuing them as union rejected "his last, best offer".

Old 04-07-2016, 10:32 PM

53 posts, read 42,214 times
Interesting,

I'm assuming MrGompers have also heard of the 13 as well?

I haven't known the specific terminologies and or names but 'controlling and sheering' the masses has always been a monarchary tradition. Sadly even in America, there are forces at work that are beyond the control or knowledge of the general populace...

Economically and longevity wise, it makes little sense. Having states and or nations going bankrupt serves to dilute expansion and tremendously slows down growth and only benefits the bankrupt monetization, increased crime rates, leaves the workers restless, and poverty.

The money is there, can be created, yet the novelty of 1.8 billion acre farm more appealing.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:43 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
State job was saying you made it. Stable job, best pay in the state, stellar benefits, no worries about retirement, and didn't have to worry about paying back your college loans.
This may have been true 50 years ago but has not been true for the past couple of decades now. I seem to remember layoffs of state workers about 10 or so years ago and even before that there were concerns of layoffs there as well. Today no jobs are secure, if they ever were is debatable. Jay

Old 04-08-2016, 08:17 AM

503 posts, read 530,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This may have been true 50 years ago but has not been true for the past couple of decades now. I seem to remember layoffs of state workers about 10 or so years ago and even before that there were concerns of layoffs there as well. Today no jobs are secure, if they ever were is debatable. Jay
Local city/town government jobs are very secure. Also, its important to keep some perspective about these state layoffs, in terms of the percentage that are affected. Odds are if you've been working there a few years already your job is quite secure. Still a great gig IMO.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:03 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Local city/town government jobs are very secure. Also, its important to keep some perspective about these state layoffs, in terms of the percentage that are affected. Odds are if you've been working there a few years already your job is quite secure. Still a great gig IMO.
True are you really laid off. Had a friend hired a few years back was put on a 2 month furlough. Still working making awesome amount of money that a job in the private sector would pay nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut