Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2016, 09:52 AM

505 posts, read 428,756 times

Advertisements

Great news with the cuts! Big credit for going through with them!

It seems hard now but these people are needed in the private sector. Down the road CT will be in much better financial shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 09:58 AM

854 posts, read 1,242,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
The cuts have made chaos within the State Police Academy. I know someone who is in tune with that sector, and a whole class of folks was just ended and released.
half of them are crooks anyway

Old 04-22-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
The so called harsh firings shouldn't be taken personally IMO. I think they do this because they don't want employees (who were just laid off) sabotaging work and/or computer systems. In most of the corporations I've worked at when a person gives two week notice and/or is laid off they are told to leave immediately.

In the case of giving two week notice usually the company will pay you for that time (usually called in-lieu payments) IF they DO NOT pay you for those two weeks (and you are told to leave) you can file for unemployment. This happened to a friend of mine once. He found a new job scheduled to start two weeks after quitting his current job. He gives two weeks notice they tell him to leave but DO NOT pay him for that time. He collected unemployment for those two weeks he was unemployed.

The public views DSS as an agency that only helps welfare leeches so they are not going to get any sympathy. They won't even get any sympathy on this forum for the most part. You can already see this with the comments rolling in. If anything they should have hired more employees at these agencies and cut at the top. I would start with the Governor's executive office.

Ultimately, like I said earlier the Governor et all DO NOT care about these cuts since they will not be personally affected by them. Same thing goes for the people on this forum giving the thumbs up for these cuts. If they had a handicapped grand parent in Bristol who had to visit that office, but now has to visit New Britain's office instead they would be singing a different tune.

DSS serves far more people than the so called "welfare leeches"

Absolutely!! You can make all the excuses you want but this state is going nowhere with an army of people who need to be perpetually "taken care of" from cradle to grave. Some of them have legitimate issues but a large number do not.

We have to keep this population under control.

Hopefully these events will make people think more pragmatically when it comes to encouraging people who have no skills or uses of any kind from settling in this state.

Last edited by CTDex; 04-22-2016 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-22-2016, 10:32 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,341 times
It's interesting to see how disruptive these layoffs are to many in the forum. Here in the private sector we get layoffs nearly annually without much fanfare unless they get to IBM proportions. I do get the human toll but the reality is many companies are making big layoffs these days to balance their budgets so I don't think anyone should take it personally or even blame the governor personally. He's not handpicking people; he's asking the people in charge of departments to find the least disruptive, most cost-saving positions to cut. It could well be that many of them are actually unnecessary.

A few years ago, my company laid off literally half of my overworked department, taking out an entire function that people relied on previously. At first we were like, "this is crazy... how are we going to manage the extra work".. but after the dust settled we found that those positions were actually leading to inefficiency because of the extra process they created. I think everyone on my team could say they agreed with that initial decision even though it was deeply disruptive at first. Sometimes it requires scarcity to force people to stop and think, "Do I really need this."

Old 04-22-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
It's interesting to see how disruptive these layoffs are to many in the forum. Here in the private sector we get layoffs nearly annually without much fanfare unless they get to IBM proportions. I do get the human toll but the reality is many companies are making big layoffs these days to balance their budgets so I don't think anyone should take it personally or even blame the governor personally. He's not handpicking people; he's asking the people in charge of departments to find the least disruptive, most cost-saving positions to cut. It could well be that many of them are actually unnecessary.

A few years ago, my company laid off literally half of my overworked department, taking out an entire function that people relied on previously. At first we were like, "this is crazy... how are we going to manage the extra work".. but after the dust settled we found that those positions were actually leading to inefficiency because of the extra process they created. I think everyone on my team could say they agreed with that initial decision even though it was deeply disruptive at first. Sometimes it requires scarcity to force people to stop and think, "Do I really need this."

Exactly! Most of the complaining is coming from the employees, their relatives and those who are financially involved in the system.

It's understandable that they are concerned with losing security and the disruption in their lives. But this is common occurrence in the private sector.

The state isn't going to disappear and, once the dust settles, everything will continue as normal- and CT will be in much better shape a few years down the road.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:47 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,838,473 times
I was at the UCONN dental school in Farmington yesterday 4/21. There was some type of emergency meeting that the dental students / dental residents had to attend at 4pm. They told me that they received notice of the meeting at 1pm same day. I do not know what the meeting was about, but with the Govt being in turmoil lately I would assume it had something to do with the state budget.

Any one know what the meeting was about ?

Old 04-22-2016, 11:08 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
Exactly! Most of the complaining is coming from the employees, their relatives and those who are financially involved in the system.

It's understandable that they are concerned with losing security and the disruption in their lives. But this is common occurrence in the private sector.

The state isn't going to disappear and, once the dust settles, everything will continue as normal- and CT will be in much better shape a few years down the road.
The issue is most private sector job's are unionized like the State. Governor had solutions avoiding layoffs and the Union threw it back in his face. The Union is the one really doing the lay offs of 2000 state workers.

Now one issue is they cut hour's of state workers making it equivalent to 72 positions cut in UCONN Health, but nurse's are short as it is they are all pretty much going to pick up those hours lost in OT so what's the point of cutting their hours ha.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
The issue is most private sector job's are unionized like the State. Governor had solutions avoiding layoffs and the Union threw it back in his face. The Union is the one really doing the lay offs of 2000 state workers.

Now one issue is they cut hour's of state workers making it equivalent to 72 positions cut in UCONN Health, but nurse's are short as it is they are all pretty much going to pick up those hours lost in OT so what's the point of cutting their hours ha.
"Most" private sector jobs are not unionized.

"Nationwide, 36 percent of government employees are in unions, compared to just 7 percent of workers in the private sector."

50 Years Of Shrinking Union Membership, In One Map : Planet Money : NPR

I agree with the fact that the layoffs could be handled better and that some positions or overtime should have been cut instead of others. But that's the way the situation played out.

If there are any real urgencies they can be corrected in time. I am glad the cuts were made and that they went through with it.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:37 AM

CT has the 10th highest percentage of unionized workers in the country at 14.8 % as of 2014.

NY, NJ and RI all have a higher percentage while MA's is lower.

The number has shrunk over the decades

50 Years Of Shrinking Union Membership, In One Map : Planet Money : NPR

Old 04-22-2016, 11:52 AM

845 posts, read 681,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
half of them are crooks anyway
You're probably not far off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut