Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 02:33 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,424,208 times

Advertisements

Boring is in the eye of the beholder. I moved to the Hartford area after living in many different places in CT as well as other states. I find Hartford no more boring than any other city of the same size. If all you do is sit around on your rear all day, then good luck finding entertainment anywhere you live. In the Hartford area (including surrounding towns) there are great hiking trails, lakes and ponds if you are into paddling sports, plenty of shopping from low brow to high end, great wineries that are a blast to spend a day at, pick your own apples, cut down your own Christmas tree, fabulous restaurants, breweries, many theaters, many venues for great live music from the big arena type places to little holes in the wall to see a local band…

I have lived in many states and honestly, the people who complain that an area is boring are usually the people who like to sit around and complain about everything. I have lived in the middle of nowhere in Vermont, a couple large cities out west, and many places in between and I can honestly say I have never been bored. Life is what you make of it.

Back to the original topic, Hartford proper certainly has some rough areas and there are plenty of shootings, mostly in what is known as the "north end" along Albany Avenue and environs. I suggest looking for rentals outside the city limits. Will you be working in the city of Hartford or in a surrounding area? There are plenty of rentals in Manchester, West Hartford, East Hartford (but watch your neighborhoods in E Hartford)...

The cost of living in CT is high compared to AZ, but most of us are not rich and are able to get by just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 02:40 PM

439 posts, read 722,129 times
Median price for a single family home in Metro Phoenix AZ third quarter 2006 $266,500
Median price for a single home Hartford CT metro area 3rd quarter 2006 $263,100

Source: National association of Realtors.

obviously- the above FACTS prove that the Hartford areas housing costs are not as high as many think- perhaps lack of knowledge or misinformation clouds the facts. Portland Oregon median home price is 285k, Seattle WA. 350K And Fort Lauderdale Florida is 345K.

Before we debate information on 'costs' lets make sure we get the facts correct Moderator cut: personal.

Afford ability index- higher in Hartford because of higher per capita income.
Phoenix metro area has over 50K homes for sale- 'vacant neighborhoods of empty homes.

Moderator cut: offensive

Last edited by Marka; 11-29-2006 at 08:17 AM..

Old 11-27-2006, 06:12 PM

14 posts, read 123,043 times
Arrow Hartford Relocation

I appreciate all the feedback and have done quite a bit of research also. It appears that cost of living compared to Phoenix of higher. Hartford about 8% increase, as opposed to Bridgeport at 50% increase. Being a single, middle aged lady, with no children...I don't require much. The club and bar thing was never part of my life. Besides, I'm a little too old for that. Phoenix has been great, but trying to find work in my field at a reasonable income has been a challenge. Looks like I'll be trading the sun in for snow. My primary goal is to advance in my career and right now, it appears that Hartford offers that. When I look at other areas where the cost of living is less, so are the salaries. Comparing the same positions in TN comes to a whooping salary difference of $12,000-$15,000 less, annually. I gave Phoenix 2 years and now it's time to move on. I can adjust and if it doesn't work....I'll ease on down the road. At this point, I'm having the best time of my life. There will be no regrets. As I explore, that's how I learn and grow.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,674 times
Default RE: Relocating from AZ to Hartford, CT

I have to put my two cents worth in here. I am not sure why the lady chose Hartford. It can not be just for financial reasons. There are so many much nicer places in this country of ours. I was born in Norwalk, CT and grew up in West Haven. In 1957 I moved to California and from there to Arizona in 1969. I have lived, traveled or worked in 48 states and 106 countries, most of them many times, and there is no place I would rather live than right here ! Right here being Tombstone, AZ which is in the high desert. Everything I could ever need is within 75 miles including a perfect climate...

Old 11-29-2006, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 11,738 times
I live in MA now, but grew up in West Hartford. I can honestly say that Hartford is probably one of the worst cities in the entire northeast to live in. It is not safe, and quite poor. As for the surrounding towns, they vary. East Hartford and Bloomfield are pretty bad as well, but West Hartford and other towns near it aren't bad at all. In fact, West Hartford has one of the best school systems in the country (or at least it did when I lived there, in the 90s). I actually would reccomend moving to West Hartford. Its a nice town and doesn't have many of the problems that Hartford has, but it is pretty big and it does have its bad parts. However, its right next to Hartford and is probably cheaper than some of the other nearby towns, although im not completely sure about that one.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:42 AM

439 posts, read 722,129 times
Rodhigh

you have been out of the NE since 1957-long time ago. Perspectives change with time re; geographic regions.

Talking about tombstone AZ- I worked several years ago with a teacher who was from that town and grew up there. Has taught in the Manchester CT PS (History) for many years and prefers New England. Says that AZ-esp. Tombstone was a hot and dusty place- well today getting hotter due to global warming.

I also appreciate your 'worldliness' I am from more a humble background and have not lived in 106 countries or 48 states.
However I do know that climate change/global warming is a very serious issue- and in the near future many parts of the southwest will become nearly 'uninhabitable' because of the heat and lack of water.

As for California- well it seems from many posts I have seen here- the state is like the Titanic- rats fleeing a sinking ship.

You are truly entitled to your opinion- but for the most part those seeking a way out of hot, and less socially attractive areas may find New England and Connecticut a nice place to live. We now may seem may like 'paradise' as was the southwest and California where in 1957.

Times change- and New England is being discovered for what it has to offer in a very complex early 21st century world.
Lets hope the influx here now does not destroy the values we hold near and dear- as what has happened elsewhere.

Last edited by Dragondog; 11-29-2006 at 11:05 AM..

Old 11-30-2006, 03:01 PM

14 posts, read 123,043 times
Rodhigh, I can't say that I have lived across the country like you have. "Just financial reasons" implies that money might not be a concern for you. However, being unemployed-financial reasons does concern me. Right now, I wish I had 1/4 of the money I spent in air fare and travel back to the East Coast for funerals and other family matters beyond my control. Let's not even talk about job hunting from afar....another expense. Can you tell, I'm ready for a New Year? :>) Anyway, I value all comments and it's always great to get opinions from others. I love the warm climate Phoenix offers. It has been a good experience. Right now, I have to take the best job offer. As I keep my head above water in the desert and wait for my ship to come in across the shore.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:43 PM

15 posts, read 129,057 times
You can find many reasonably prices apartments in the Bristol/Plainville area. I had a two-bedroom with free heat for under $800 (though probably slightly higher now). Plainville is right on the highway and a quick shot into Hartford (barring bad traffic of course). Plainville has all you basic needs (movie theater, supermarket, Kohl's, Lowe's, etc.) in a fairly new development. For a single professional type, that's the way to go. If schools are an issue, you would want to look elsewhere.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:58 PM

42 posts, read 165,107 times
life101:
Actually having lived all over central CT all of my life, I think Hartford is on its way "UP" and has a lot to offer. I do agree that some areas should be avoided, but I think that's the case with any major city. Downtown just added these GORGEOUS condos that are selling like hot cakes, the new Civic Center will have a lot to offer, and then the Hartford Stage shows, the Bushnell shows, etc. are fun. Also, City Steam has an excellent comedy club where you are served dinner and there is an open bar during the show so you and friends can sip martinis and laugh the night away. If low key is your thing, Trumbull Kitchen has great food and is a more relaxed bar scene on the weekends. The boomboomboom clubs are a few blocks away but are there if you need them. There's this FAB wine and panini bar called Bin228 on Pearl Street that if you blink when you drive by you'll miss it. The homemade food and the wine selection make this place a must dine - and head over to a show afterwards! By the new convention center, this old restaurant (I can't remember the name) with great food has a live orchestra on Monday nights (also a woman will occasionally sing some wonderful old fashion music too). If you need a good steak there's Max's Downtown and of course Mortons. There's Mezzanine a new after work hot spot for professionals on Main Street that plays live music (jazz?) and if you are looking for Japanese, there's Koji with an interesting atmosphere - NOT what you would expect. So I think there's tons to offer in hartford - like anywhere, you have to drive around to see where to live and where to avoid depending on your needs/wants/wishes. If you have to move to Hartford for a job, then just know - like any city - there are some great things about it and some not so great things so don't be too discouraged!! Good luck with your new job!

Old 12-15-2006, 02:35 PM

4 posts, read 14,976 times
Default Coventry is nice

I lived for 4 years in Coventry and this is an easy distance to commute to Hartford. The town is fairly inexpensive for housing, is close to the University of CT Storrs campus so there are options for sporting events and college theater nearby and there is a town lake for boating/swimming etc. There are plenty of small homes that are reasonable and also larger newer homes going up that are pretty pricey.

With all that said, the traffic on 84 to get into Hartford in the morning will be a drag- but that is the case no matter what direction you go. Traffic on CT highways is awful during rush hour throughout a good portion of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut