Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2017, 02:49 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,843,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
No, Jay. Hartford needs to own this. They made their bed, now they get to lie in it. I will NOT accept this sort of fiscal liberalism. And if you think I'm the only one who feels this way, just wait until you see what happens if this state is fooolish enough to pass these costs on to the suburbs. People are tired of the excuses and want some accountability, and apparently Hartford finds someone it easier to pass the buck. We socialize the services, taxes will continue to soar, quality of life will continue to go down, and people will leave at an even accelerated rate faster than now. And if you don't think more people will leave if given the chance, think again. I have no desire to livein a state that's run this way, and judging by the number of people who want to leave this state, (and many others who already have), I'm not the only one who feels that way. And keep in mind, if and when we leave, we will take our tax dollars with us, and this will leave the state worse off than it is now. Something to think about.

The issues that you are describing is exactly why we should have a regional or county Govt. I doubt that would ever happen in my lifetime since people here are so ingrained with the current system.

Think about how much wages are being earned in Hartford every year and being spent outside of Hartford. None of that money is going back into the city. If we had a county Govt that equation would change.

CT's system of separate city / town Govts is actually trying to be emulated by other communities. I have heard of this being proposed in Louisiana, Alabama, North Carolina, and Florida. In the Alabama case once the school district separated from the "ghetto district" they actually voted to raise taxes on themselves.

CT is the most segregated state in the county. Our segregation is based on socio economic status though and not racial.If any one in Govt wanted to help the kids of Hartford's schools perform better they would go to the communities and research what issues those communities have. Then try to solve them. Instead they just keep spending money year after year without results.I don't think a kid really cares if his text book is one year behind when he hasn't eaten breakfast or lunch - or he was awake until 2am because of all the druggies hanging out on the corner next to his apartment were making noise all night.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:54 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,728,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
CT is the most segregated state in the county. Our segregation is based on socio economic status though and not racial.If any one in Govt wanted to help the kids of Hartford's schools perform better they would go to the communities and research what issues those communities have. Then try to solve them. Instead they just keep spending money year after year without results.I don't think a kid really cares if his text book is one year behind when he hasn't eaten breakfast or lunch - or he was awake until 2am because of all the druggies hanging out on the corner next to his apartment were making noise all night.
I won't deny there's a striking income disparity between city and suburb, but if you think it's bad here, go to New Jersey sometime and see for yourself what the contrast is like between South Orange/West Orange vs. East Orange/Newark, or Collingswood vs. Camden. Because I'm telling you, it is much worse there than it is here.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:32 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,843,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I won't deny there's a striking income disparity between city and suburb, but if you think it's bad here, go to New Jersey sometime and see for yourself what the contrast is like between South Orange/West Orange vs. East Orange/Newark, or Collingswood vs. Camden. Because I'm telling you, it is much worse there than it is here.
The transition on RT 44 from Avon - West Hartford - Hartford is on par with those. I think the big difference is the Hartford ghetto/warzone is smaller in size.

I also haven't touched Bridgeport, but I don't know much about that city. It probably has bad areas equal to Hartford. If there's one positive though its that Hartford has improved since the 80's.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:13 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,728,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
The transition on RT 44 from Avon - West Hartford - Hartford is on par with those. I think the big difference is the Hartford ghetto/warzone is smaller in size.
I feel like it depends on where you are. For example, if you're in Blue Hills it's not that bad. I drive through this neighborhood all the time to and from work all the time, even after sundown, and I've never had an issue. It also has the highest rate of homeownership in the city and is more of a middle class area, so economically it's always been better off. There's actually some nice homes in that area, believe it or not. IMO where 44 really gets bad is once you pass St. Francis Hospital. Still, you're right, it is a sharp contrast with the area west of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers
I also haven't touched Bridgeport, but I don't know much about that city. It probably has bad areas equal to Hartford. If there's one positive though its that Hartford has improved since the 80's.
You're starting to see some positive developments. Even in the last few years, I've seen a few improvements. On Albany you used to see these big abandoned houses, boarded up with clapboard, that set empty for years on the corner of 44 and Oakland Terrace. These are now gone. And the old, military barrack-style housing projects that gave this area so much infamy (Bowles Park, Westbrook Village, Nelton Court) have either been demolished or are in the process of being replaced. The city also built a new YMCA on 44 further down closer to Main Street, which is definitely a nice amenity for the neighborhood. Having said that, the anti-blight efforts aren't going to make much of an impact unless the city can get their financial ducks in a row. This is a challenge for the city and the state in general, and whoever takes the helm in 2018 needs to find a way to do this without new taxes or raising existing ones.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:42 PM

34,969 posts, read 57,037,363 times
It looks like John Rowland is getting out of prison next month and will be going to a halfway house in his beloved "Center of the Universe", Waterbury. What surprised me is that he admitted to having a substance abuse problem. Of course he got several months off his sentence for completing a substance abuse program while in prison.

Anyone think he will ever be able to return to politics? The Republicans are looking for a candidate. Jay

Ex-Gov. Rowland May Be Back In Waterbury Next Month - Hartford Courant

Old 10-18-2017, 02:01 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,952,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It looks like John Rowland is getting out of prison next month and will be going to a halfway house in his beloved "Center of the Universe", Waterbury. What surprised me is that he admitted to having a substance abuse problem. Of course he got several months off his sentence for completing a substance abuse program while in prison.

Anyone think he will ever be able to return to politics? The Republicans are looking for a candidate. Jay

Maybe he can pull a Ganim.

He's a disgrace.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Maybe he can pull a Ganim.

He's a disgrace.
I think his release is too soon for the 2018 race but would not be surprised if not long after that he did run locally. Not sure if he could ever run for Governor again. Jay

Old 10-18-2017, 06:29 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,960,553 times
Quote:

I wonder if he faked the substance addiction in order to shorten his sentence.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I wonder if he faked the substance addiction in order to shorten his sentence.
Would he do that??? I thought the same thing. Jay

Old 10-18-2017, 08:13 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,960,553 times
Quote:
Would he do that??? I thought the same thing. Jay
It wouldn't surprise me at all. I found it interesting that the article didn't say what the drug was. Alcohol or something else/more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut