Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:39 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
White.....................66,679
Black......................40,950
Asian Pacific................487
Native American.........6,371
Other/Multi-Race......27,127
Hispanic (any race)...58,823

=200,437

Actual population is 141,614

The discrepancy lies in those(primarily Latino) that also select "white". Strict "caucasian" numbers are ~30%.
http://www.cerc.com/TownProfiles/Cus...geport2010.pdf
BINGO Hartford has the same problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 08:49 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
White.....................66,679
Black......................40,950
Asian Pacific................487
Native American.........6,371
Other/Multi-Race......27,127
Hispanic (any race)...58,823

=200,437

Actual population is 141,614

The discrepancy lies in those(primarily Latino) that also select "white". Strict "caucasian" numbers are ~30%.
http://www.cerc.com/TownProfiles/Cus...geport2010.pdf
Many Hispanics are white. They are people like me whose family are European Spanish and/or are mixed. Jay

Old 11-19-2010, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,975 times
CT is extremely expensive and VERY difficult if you are an outsider. Everything I felt about CT made sense when I was told that the book "The Stepfoord Wives" was written about the women of Wilton. Everyone is the same and if you are not in their 'bubble' you feel it. I was lucky my husband's family is from Italy and the Italian community is lovely there. It was like moving to Italy at first but I eventually fit it. I am from San Diego and Irish so it took some time!
CT (Fairfield County anyway) is a beautiful Bing Crosby movie. Christmas is heaven there and Autum is beyond gorgeous. However I'll take my Pacific Ocean and our perfect weather over the "seasons" any day.
It is very cold there (not the weather!!) No one is warm, it's Talbots and blonde bobs everywhere.
The people there are very wealthy and into their "Things".
Thee very best thing about CT was New York City. You hear New Yorkers are rude - no way they're great. They are honest and open, the opposite of CT. New York, Newport, Boston and even DC is only a few hours away. That is CT's greatest attribute location, location, location.

And everyone is white!! I've never seen such a thing I mean everyone is white - tons of Italians (like being in Italy literally) but that's it! I worked in Stamford and they was some diversity there, actually that was normal but not up the road in Ridgefield and Wilton. Danbury is a little better also.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:26 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardbag View Post
CT is extremely expensive and VERY difficult if you are an outsider. Everything I felt about CT made sense when I was told that the book "The Stepfoord Wives" was written about the women of Wilton. Everyone is the same and if you are not in their 'bubble' you feel it. I was lucky my husband's family is from Italy and the Italian community is lovely there. It was like moving to Italy at first but I eventually fit it. I am from San Diego and Irish so it took some time!
CT (Fairfield County anyway) is a beautiful Bing Crosby movie. Christmas is heaven there and Autum is beyond gorgeous. However I'll take my Pacific Ocean and our perfect weather over the "seasons" any day.
It is very cold there (not the weather!!) No one is warm, it's Talbots and blonde bobs everywhere.
The people there are very wealthy and into their "Things".
Thee very best thing about CT was New York City. You hear New Yorkers are rude - no way they're great. They are honest and open, the opposite of CT. New York, Newport, Boston and even DC is only a few hours away. That is CT's greatest attribute location, location, location.

And everyone is white!! I've never seen such a thing I mean everyone is white - tons of Italians (like being in Italy literally) but that's it! I worked in Stamford and they was some diversity there, actually that was normal but not up the road in Ridgefield and Wilton. Danbury is a little better also.
The same things you say about Connecticut could be said about California too. My friend moved there and found people to lack any stability or morality and were just nasty. Of course that is just where he lived which was a well know upscale sommunity now well represented on TV. He eventually moved to a community he found more to his liking.

That said, not all of Connecticut is as you describe, just like all of California is not like I described. As for the weather, I will take the green beauty and change of season of New England over the brown desert landscape of southern California any day, but maybe that is just me. Jay

Old 11-19-2010, 12:42 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
Leopardbag,

My apologies that it sounded like you didn't really get on with Fairfield County, but it sounds like you didn't really explore. I say this only because you seemed focused on the outer ring suburbs like Wilton and Ridgefield, and the comment of your "Irishness" as a foreign element. Irish a rarity in Fairfield County? That's like saying there are no Hungarians in Bridgeport. There is a lot of diversity in Fairfield County too, its' a odd mix of old new-world, new old-world, new new-world, and old old-world.

Those outer suburbs are hardly the norm, as most of the County live either in the central cities of Norwalk, Stamford, Bridgeport, and Danbury or the higher density suburbs and attitudes differ wildly it seems. And that's just Fairfield County, there are 7 other counties that make up Connecticut, each having different areas with different cultural norms and even accents within them.

I will agree with you that it does seem expensive. As well, many from Connecticut (and New England in general) are a bit colder at first than many other regions in the country. Part of this is respect of people's privacy and space, once you initiate and show you want to converse be prepared for a torrent of talking. But true friendships seem people develop here to be more based on common interests, symbiotic relationships, and just getting on with one another rather than sharing space temporarily.

Again sorry for your experience, but to say the whole region is "Stepford Wives"-y is a bit misleading to some who haven't experienced any of Fairfield County. Although, this time of year the weather does get depressing a bit.

~Cheers

Old 11-21-2010, 01:14 PM

6 posts, read 20,229 times
Leopardbag
Frankly, I have to disagree. While some of your comments about a large Italian community have merit, most of your points are inaccurate in my experience. I have lived in CT for over 20 years and my experience seems to be the opposite of yours. However, I will admit that some people in New England aren't the "wave to everyone driving down the street" type. I can see your point there but just b/c people aren't as open right away doesn't mean they are mean spirited. It's just a slight cultural difference and that is not specific to CT. There are certain people in any state that could act the way you have noted. To echo Jay's point, there is certainly similar people in CA who act just as you have noted. In fact, for me personally, the first area I think of when I think of shallow people focused on materialism is southern CA. Not specifically San Diengo but just as it wouldn't be fair to judge all of CA on that limited stereotype of LA it wouldn't be fair to judge CT on one area of one town.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:31 PM

20 posts, read 63,360 times
Some of the inflammatory comments about CT are way off base.

Here is my opinion:

1) the people are friendly. I encounter friendly people on a daily basis. Ever hear of the norm of reciprocity? How are you treating CT residents because their reactions are likely a mirror of your own attitudes/behaviors.

2) the scenery is very good. I did a number of pleasant drives and fall hikes just to take in the scenery.

3) there are many outdoor things to do.... hiking, kayaking, fishing, bird watching, picnicking, etc.

4) There are a lot of interesting historical buildings to see.

5) You're within reason of many airports, so if you really get tired of CT, you can find a good vacation deal.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:08 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Just as an FYI to anyone thinking to respond to the OP:

The OP posted in 2008 that he's a psychologist. He also posted asking people in North Dakota if that's a good state to live in. This year, he posted about going to college in Toronto, and again about going to college in Ontario. He asked directions to York University and said he wants to go to school so he can get a teaching degree and teach K-5 in Canada.

Now he's got a kid school-age and wants to know if Connecticut is a good place to live. He's also no longer a member.

I'm guessing it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks about Connecticut, as far as the OP is concerned, at this point.

Just sayin...no need to get riled up over nothing.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:01 AM

28 posts, read 91,015 times
yes definitely its a good place to live here, I am native of CT since my birth and I love CT

Old 05-17-2011, 06:41 AM

20 posts, read 78,223 times
CT is horrid weather. We get about 4 months a year of acceptable weather, other than that we say "if you don't like the weather in CT then go back to where you from." Zero job growth, very expensive for nice homes-land, BIG Taxes. People are smart and they act it, pale skin not much style at all, very close-minded big Democrat state stick-in-the-butt. Rude and mostly back stabbers, like anywhere I guess. If you can find a job here and afford the life that people think CT really is, move near the Sound like Old Saybrook or Westbrook. 50 Cents home is for sale in Farmington, Mike Tyson owned it. Drive about 20 minutes down the road and you could be shot or robbed at night. NW CT has nice land, many people who write, actors like Kevin Bacon and Conan OBrein. If you have an extra $400,000 you can do very well on a home here and work 65 hours a week to keep it going. I would prefer the South for many reasons, just watch the movie Jaws, the 1st one, that's how we are still are here. Deliverance is more my style. Good luck in CT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut