Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 08:30 AM

6,898 posts, read 3,738,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Greenwich/New Canaan to Fairfield/Weston is going be unfriendly when you hit Milford and Shelton they become more down to earth.
Unfriendly?? in FCounty? you kidding. I wish. Sometimes that's a good thing. I've ghosted more friends than Casper. Some still won't leave me alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 12:17 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Kudos to you. Personally, I don't want any relations with my neighbors whatsoever. I live in an upper middle class, high income, very highly educated, 85% white neighborhood that is overall conservative. A new young couple just bought and moved into the house next door to mine two months ago and we still never met. Today, we were both outside doing yard work and we repeatedly came within 20 feet of each other and I absolutely refused to make any eye contact or acknowledge his existence. I have nothing to gain from introducing myself to them whatsoever. So they bought a house that happens to be next door. Big freaking deal. They seem like the perfect couple and everything in their life is great. I can't stand people like that and refuse to give them the time of day. Plus, they have southern accents and drive nothing but pickup trucks. They're probably millennial right wingers. Smh. I refuse to talk to right wingers. They were only good for causing my home value to surge even more, now that their house is a comp.

I'm just not a people person. I'm not interested in strangers or going to bars or networking or anything of that nature. I am a misanthrope who despises humans in general. I'm 37 now and that's always how I've been and probably how I will always be. Oh well. I am who I am.
Oh wow, CT throwback...Hi Nep!

Anyhow, in regards to OP....

I think that it really is what you want to make of it. I grew up in lower FFLD County and lived everywhere from Darien to New Haven, before I moved out to LA. I never had an issue making friends--when I wanted to. I still don't. I do get how it can be harder in closer knit communities, where people have known each other forever...but it is still possible.

I'm sorry it's been so rough for you and hope you find a good spot!

Old 11-08-2021, 12:18 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Unfriendly?? in FCounty? you kidding. I wish. Sometimes that's a good thing. I've ghosted more friends than Casper. Some still won't leave me alone.
LOL....Honestly, same. When I come back to visit, I don't even tell a large amount of people. I would have NO time to do things myself or with my family! I have to pick and chose.

Old 11-08-2021, 03:48 PM

709 posts, read 402,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Kudos to you. Personally, I don't want any relations with my neighbors whatsoever. I live in an upper middle class, high income, very highly educated, 85% white neighborhood that is overall conservative. A new young couple just bought and moved into the house next door to mine two months ago and we still never met. Today, we were both outside doing yard work and we repeatedly came within 20 feet of each other and I absolutely refused to make any eye contact or acknowledge his existence. I have nothing to gain from introducing myself to them whatsoever. So they bought a house that happens to be next door. Big freaking deal. They seem like the perfect couple and everything in their life is great. I can't stand people like that and refuse to give them the time of day. Plus, they have southern accents and drive nothing but pickup trucks. They're probably millennial right wingers. Smh. I refuse to talk to right wingers. They were only good for causing my home value to surge even more, now that their house is a comp.

I'm just not a people person. I'm not interested in strangers or going to bars or networking or anything of that nature. I am a misanthrope who despises humans in general. I'm 37 now and that's always how I've been and probably how I will always be. Oh well. I am who I am.
Best post I've ever seen on this forum.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:32 PM

334 posts, read 263,882 times
Dear OP:
Please don't give up.
Although I'm in Pittsburgh now, I lived in CT--once in FFC and once in Hartford county. I hope to return.
I also had relocated from NY and it wasn't easy.
I was homesick and I'm thinking you might be also. Change is hard and old friends, places and routines are comforting---especially during a pandemic.
It might be worthwhile to connect with other women who have transitioned from NY. The pandemic has created a large number of people just like you who would appreciate meeting kindred spirits.
Start a meet-up group for NY Transplants--both moms and non-moms. Make a Facebook page. Schedule a coffee meet 'n greet and see who shows up. Misery loves company lol And maybe a few new friends may come out of it.
I wish you luck.

Old 11-08-2021, 06:59 PM

143 posts, read 120,559 times
This is my favorite one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PXlFgb-VIc0

OP: I’m sorry you aren’t finding your people in Westport. It could be partially due to Covid (not sure when you moved there), but also it’s just HARD finding people you truly connect with, especially when you are in the season of life with toddlers as they take so much of who you are. I moved to New Canaan last August and while I have made a few friends here, it doesn’t feel like best friends, just people I can get coffee with and chat with about our kids. I’ve always heard it gets better with elementary aged kids also. What has helped me is joining the newcomers group- in NC its SUPER active (our board has like 35 ish members, it’s huge)- so perhaps something similar in Westport? I’ve also met a few moms I liked through my toddlers gym classes, swim classes etc.

Good luck OP! I’ve met a number of Westport moms who seemed really down to earth and sweet so I’m hoping you find a good tribe eventually

Old 11-08-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetgirl2014 View Post
This is why I ghost. I know every single one of them, To a T!

Old 12-14-2021, 06:34 AM

11 posts, read 11,100 times
We just sold in Darien, hated it here. Was soulless. People materialistic, unhappy, competitive, unengaging unfriendly, etc. Was a long time coming and probably never should have moved here from SF Bay, but did well financially on the house so that helps. Looking at Bedford, NY. seems understated and more chill with NYC access.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDAD View Post
We just sold in Darien, hated it here. Was soulless. People materialistic, unhappy, competitive, unengaging unfriendly, etc. Was a long time coming and probably never should have moved here from SF Bay, but did well financially on the house so that helps. Looking at Bedford, NY. seems understated and more chill with NYC access.
I hear you. Consider yourself lucky. You were able to escape. I wasn't as fortunate. These people worship the ground I walk on and I have no idea why. They won't leave me alone. I've tried everything from ghosting to 7 or 8 claims of COVID infection. They caught on. Just when I thought I got out, they pull me back in - this friday coming up, big dinner party at a McMansion to spread some Holiday cheer and omicron, and I fell for it, again.

Best of luck in the search

Old 12-14-2021, 09:41 AM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDAD View Post
Looking at Bedford, NY. seems understated and more chill with NYC access.
Typical of more affluent rural towns. Weston and Easton are the same vibe. Not sure you’re going to find the friendly neighbor vibe there, but it’ll be less showy and quieter. The only downside with Bedford, which has a picture perfect center, are the huge property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut