Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 08:56 AM

17 posts, read 11,791 times

Advertisements

I have found it to be the most unfriendly place around. People constantly gossip/talk about others, compete/overly materialistic and so clique. I found making friend in NYC much easier and making friends in CA a ton easier. I gave it a few years. I give up. Haven't met one nice mom through my kid's school yet . I've been honked at and given the finger because my 4 year old took too long at school dropoff to get out of the car his first weeks. And boy do I have some stories--- them drinking at 11am at playgrounds all summer...The constant complaining about their husbands and friends. The jealousy. It has been unreal.
Can anyone else around here relate??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 10:18 AM

6,878 posts, read 3,729,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorknewyork18 View Post
Absolutely. A bottle of Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay is never more than an arm's length away from a FCounty stay home mom. Never.
I have the opposite problem. Made too many friends. Now these people won't leave me alone. I get deluged with texts weekly. Not one week goes by without one. Invite to this, invite to that. I'm running out of excuses. Iv'e had Covid 7 times. It's unbelievable, these rich people have nothing better to do than spend money and party.

Old 11-04-2021, 11:31 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,343,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorknewyork18 View Post
I have found it to be the most unfriendly place around. People constantly gossip/talk about others, compete/overly materialistic and so clique. I found making friend in NYC much easier and making friends in CA a ton easier. I gave it a few years. I give up. Haven't met one nice mom through my kid's school yet . I've been honked at and given the finger because my 4 year old took too long at school dropoff to get out of the car his first weeks. And boy do I have some stories--- them drinking at 11am at playgrounds all summer...The constant complaining about their husbands and friends. The jealousy. It has been unreal.
First I would like to say "I ❤️ NYC".

You moved to the "Gold Coast" of Fairfield County. I am sure you will encounter what you are saying above. I lived in the Fairfield County Gold Coast (Stamford) and now I live in Fairfield county but not in the Gold Coast. I live in Long Hill Trumbull. We are the more "middle class" of Fairfield County. It's not as uptight as high end as Westport. To bad you could not move to my area. I do love Westport though. All of my friends in Westport have all been creatives (artists & musicians) though so I am sure there is a pretty big difference between my friends in Westport and the average stay at home mom.

Here is the difference.

Westport (Main Street Area)
HH Income: $212,000
Minorities: 8%
Average House: 1.6 Million
https://www.williampitt.com/communit.../market-report

Trumbull (My Area of Upper Long Hill/Main Street)
HH Income: $99,000
Minorities: 24%
Average House: $484,000
https://www.williampitt.com/communit.../market-report

I will do Brooklyn because my mom's family is from there. This is near the water across from Manhattan.
Brooklyn
HH Income: $129,000
Minorities: 41%
Sale Price House: $888,000
https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/...housing-market

This is where I got the info on City Data excluding the house prices.
Gave life in Fairfield County (Westport) a few years and...-brooklyninfo.png

Did you look at the demographics of Westport before you bought the house?

Old 11-04-2021, 11:36 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I have to say that you will find a certain amount of this in any town or suburb. It certainly exists in cities too. Haven’t you found anyone who shares similar interests to yours? I’m sure there has to be someone you’ve met that you could become friends with and avoid the types you condemn here.

It also sounds like you may have settled in the wrong town. Have you considered moving? Westport is a fairly liberal town which might account for some of this. You might want to consider a more conservative town like Darien or a more diverse town like Fairfield. Jay

Old 11-04-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It also sounds like you may have settled in the wrong town. Have you considered moving? Westport is a fairly liberal town which might account for some of this. You might want to consider a more conservative town like Darien or a more diverse town like Fairfield. Jay
Lol, they're all the same, I mean come on now, including the Southport and Rowayton sub-towns. You know it, I know it, we all do, let's not kid ourselves here. These towns vote green, that's the only color that matters.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:02 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
I can relate. On paper, it’s utopia. I never felt comfortable in Westport. Worked there for years, office job, and have friends there and in Weston.

I find Fairfield more comfortable, down to earth for most part.

I moved to Milford for many reasons. One was being able to afford it at the time, and also just the laid back, friendly feel. I find it even friendlier than where I grew up in the Danbury area. Now that I can afford the W’s, I choose not to and just bought a bigger house in Milford near the water, with a private beach community. Love it. The downtown shop owners know me by name, neighbors are mostly lovely and outgoing, and our community is tightly knit. Everyone you see on beach has a wave or a hello.

Old 11-04-2021, 01:37 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,343,688 times
Here is another way to tell. For the most part the married woman in my area of Long Hill Trumbull need to work at least part time and some full time to afford my area. When you need to get yourself out to work every day to put a roof over your head it gives you a different perspective of life. You don't have time for gossip.

Per Capita Income
Westport.......$114,113
Fairfield........$69,792 (getting up there, a little more than regular middle class folk)
Trumbull.......$51,818
Milford..........$50,164
NYC..............$39,828
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...icut/PST045219

Newyorknewyork18 needed to look in towns like Fairfield, Milford or Trumbull to get away from the "Jones" type of Gold Coast towns. But I am sure Newyorknewyork18 didn't want to live that far way from NYC. It's a conundrum and the "Jonses" individuals really can't be avoided if you want the best access to NYC.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Newyorknewyork18 I am looking at retiring out of Fairfield County in a CT coastal town. These are a few towns where I really like the "feel" or "vibe".

When I looked up this info it was no surprise to see this. The people in these towns are just about identical in income which give us many of the same experiences.

Per Capita Income
Trumbull.......$51,818
Milford..........$50,164
Branford.......$48,471
Guilford........$64,061

We are all about the same (middle class) and probably many of us in these towns have lived similar lives (somewhat) or about the same.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Here is another way to tell. For the most part the married woman in my area of Long Hill Trumbull need to work at least part time and some full time to afford my area. When you need to get yourself out to work every day to put a roof over your head it gives you a different perspective of life. You don't have time for gossip.

Per Capita Income
Westport.......$114,113
Fairfield........$69,792 (getting up there, a little more than regular middle class folk)
Trumbull.......$51,818
Milford..........$50,164
NYC..............$39,828
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...icut/PST045219

Newyorknewyork18 needed to look in towns like Fairfield, Milford or Trumbull to get away from the "Jones" type of Gold Coast towns. But I am sure Newyorknewyork18 didn't want to live that far way from NYC. It's a conundrum and the "Jonses" individuals really can't be avoided if you want the best access to NYC.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Newyorknewyork18 I am looking at retiring out of Fairfield County in a CT coastal town. These are a few towns where I really like the "feel" or "vibe".

When I looked up this info it was no surprise to see this. The people in these towns are just about identical in income which give us many of the same experiences.

Per Capita Income
Trumbull.......$51,818
Milford..........$50,164
Branford.......$48,471
Guilford........$64,061

We are all about the same (middle class) and probably many of us in these towns have lived similar lives (somewhat) or about the same.
For New York to Westport personnel, Trumbull isn't on the radar. It doesn't even register a blip. They don't "buy down", only up. I know how these people think.

Old 11-05-2021, 01:30 PM

10,061 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I can relate. On paper, it’s utopia. I never felt comfortable in Westport. Worked there for years, office job, and have friends there and in Weston.
I remember during my younger years I worked in Westport, though was based in Stamford. A lady came in and we hit it off, then she asked me where I lived. I said Stamford and she looked at me as an alien with three eyes! All I kept thinking is that Stamford isn't that bad, geez.

Now, there were sections of Stamford that I used to call "ghetto areas.” Then one day I drove down to Westchester just to get to know places and for the first time ever I choose to go to Yonkers. Holy smokes! It looks ok on one side of the highway, but goes downhill on the other side sandwiched with the river. Never again did I referred to any area of Stamford as "ghetto." Needless to say, I didn't last long "getting to know" that town. It definitely open my eyes. Until then I thought similar scenes were present in certain parts of major American cities. Another day I went to Mt Vernon and it was basically the same thing, just divided north-south by train tracks instead of the eastern side divided from the western side by a highway. Another town I didn't last long. lol

------

OP, you should give CT a second chance, because it truly is a wonderful place to live. Westport, if you don't get in the right circles, could hamper things and it appears that's what it did to you. Give another CT town a try, some suggested by a few people further up. In the right place, CT will accept you and make you one of its own. At that moment you see what CT is really about.

People may know CT is great while living in it, but you will never know how great until you move out! There are things about CT that you will take for granted while living in it, then you move out and the lack of those things will become obvious.

Good luck!

Old 11-05-2021, 03:44 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I remember during my younger years I worked in Westport, though was based in Stamford. A lady came in and we hit it off, then she asked me where I lived. I said Stamford and she looked at me as an alien with three eyes! All I kept thinking is that Stamford isn't that bad, geez.
Having been born and raised, and lived much of my adult life in Fairfield County allowing lots of interaction with Westport residents, I can’t say I have ever encountered anyone that would view Stamford with such wide eyes. Bridgeport, absolutely, but not Stamford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut