Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 11:28 AM

841 posts, read 507,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loreleibear View Post
My husband and I are relocating to the Greenwich area later this year with our three children. Can anyone recommend any elementary and/or middle schools in the area that do NOT have DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion) initiatives? We are looking for a school that does not embrace woke politics or activism.

Thanks in advance!
DEI can be done differently in different districts, and peoples ideas of what constitutes problematic DEI varies greatly. I have no idea about Greenwich. For example, some people in my town are upset that the middle school library has LGBTQ+ books displayed prominently. I support that, 100%, but I'm not fan of taking kids down Kendi/D'Angelo rabbit hole (until maybe 11th or 12th grade, as part of broad discussion with other perspectives provided.)

I think people have given you good feedback - the redder the town, the less likely you will see a high level of DEI focus. Even in the red towns, you will probably find a high level of LGBTQ+ acceptance, but they won't make a point to create visibility for those communities. Even the people in my town who are pissed off about having certain books displayed don't mind having them in the library. They just feel like if it's out on front street, it's being "pushed."

Old 01-31-2022, 02:36 PM

18 posts, read 9,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
DEI can be done differently in different districts, and peoples ideas of what constitutes problematic DEI varies greatly. I have no idea about Greenwich. For example, some people in my town are upset that the middle school library has LGBTQ+ books displayed prominently. I support that, 100%, but I'm not fan of taking kids down Kendi/D'Angelo rabbit hole (until maybe 11th or 12th grade, as part of broad discussion with other perspectives provided.)

I think people have given you good feedback - the redder the town, the less likely you will see a high level of DEI focus. Even in the red towns, you will probably find a high level of LGBTQ+ acceptance, but they won't make a point to create visibility for those communities. Even the people in my town who are pissed off about having certain books displayed don't mind having them in the library. They just feel like if it's out on front street, it's being "pushed."

I subscribe to this - the redder the town, the more comfortable the OP will probably be.

However, this is still CT and the Northeast. Social conservatism looks a lot different than it does in other areas. If the concern is the inclusion of LGBTQ+ individuals, I would expect that in all communities. Like it or not, children will be exposed to a lot more (at younger ages) than in years past.

Expect over time for even the redder towns to get more socially liberal as the old guard moves out and younger Manhattanites move in. That's just my two cents.

Old 01-31-2022, 03:38 PM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I wish I could believe you but I can't. The motives of the people pushing crt are pure evil and I can't ascribe anything but the worst.possible intentions to them.

I wish I could believe you but I already described what most of these programs are like and that sounds like Fox News spin and gaslighting. What I described is hardly "pure evil" or "worst possible intentions". But I will agree with a later post on someone that maybe some districts do this at an age where it may be a bit "too heavy" for them to really comprehend and do critical thinking on. If that is the OP's concern then yes, go for a place like Darien or New Canaan where that is less likely to happen.

Old 01-31-2022, 04:00 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I wish I could believe you but I already described what most of these programs are like and that sounds like Fox News spin and gaslighting. What I described is hardly "pure evil" or "worst possible intentions". But I will agree with a later post on someone that maybe some districts do this at an age where it may be a bit "too heavy" for them to really comprehend and do critical thinking on. If that is the OP's concern then yes, go for a place like Darien or New Canaan where that is less likely to happen.
I don't know about districts in Connecticut but I have heard stories from other parts of the country. Children in kindergarten are being exposed to the insane transgender ideology, and kids are coming home asking their parents if they were born evil because they are white.

There has been a hostile takeover going on to varying degrees. One of the tenets of the progressive crt types is that they own our children, and we have no right to have any say in what they are being taught. Terry McAuliffe even said it explicitly.

These are bad people. Nothing will convince me otherwise. I believe in teaching accurate history, in context, but this goes way beyond that.

There is a broad effort going on to gaslight us on a whole bunch of issues, like crime, inflation, etc. being carried out by progressives in this administration, the media, etc. And they cover up the facts they don't want exposed. If the legacy media and the tech monopolies are all ganging up to suppress a story and deny it, you can bet your life it is true. Just look at the Wuhan lab leak story. Same is true with CRT. I have less than zero trust in the honestly of the media and the politicians who deny it. They are liars who are covering up their evil deeds because they know they're indefensible. They'll own up to it after they have duped enough people while fully establishing their toxic curriculum.

Old 01-31-2022, 07:52 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Once again, please return to the topic of the OP. If not I’m going to have to close this thread. JayCT, Moderator

Old 01-31-2022, 08:43 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Every school has this because it is an important part of children’s education today.

Why are you so against your kids being exposed to diversity? Whether you like it or not, the world is changing and it’s a parent's duty to prepare them for that world. By attempting to shield them from diversity prepares them for nothing. It just postpones their entrance into the real world. That will not serve them well in the future. I would suggest you stop worrying and reconsider your position on this. Good luck. Jay
It isn't "diversity" most of us have a problem with. It is the frequency with which we see terms like "diversity, equity and inclusion" actually indicating adherence to a political ideology/religion. In fact, it often results in a total lack of diversity of viewpoints and perspectives. Some of us do *not*- GASP!- want to dismantle all of the systems and strictures comprising the United States of America.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:00 AM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
I don't know about districts in Connecticut but I have heard stories from other parts of the country. Children in kindergarten are being exposed to the insane transgender ideology, and kids are coming home asking their parents if they were born evil because they are white.

There has been a hostile takeover going on to varying degrees. One of the tenets of the progressive crt types is that they own our children, and we have no right to have any say in what they are being taught. Terry McAuliffe even said it explicitly.

These are bad people. Nothing will convince me otherwise. I believe in teaching accurate history, in context, but this goes way beyond that.

There is a broad effort going on to gaslight us on a whole bunch of issues, like crime, inflation, etc. being carried out by progressives in this administration, the media, etc. And they cover up the facts they don't want exposed. If the legacy media and the tech monopolies are all ganging up to suppress a story and deny it, you can bet your life it is true. Just look at the Wuhan lab leak story. Same is true with CRT. I have less than zero trust in the honestly of the media and the politicians who deny it. They are liars who are covering up their evil deeds because they know they're indefensible. They'll own up to it after they have duped enough people while fully establishing their toxic curriculum.
To respect Jay and not get the thread closed I'll simply say that 1) the right does this just as much if not more so, and 2) (which I think is on topic) I already said I can understand concerns doing it at an age where the proper critical thinking can't happen and would respect the OP's concerns on those grounds. I would agree doing it in kindergarten (or before middle school) is insane.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:05 AM

64 posts, read 101,306 times
I am obtuse and tend to need specifics rather than broad strokes labels or slogans. What do you mean by diversity, equity, and inclusion? If the issue is, are kids being taught to "dismantle all of the systems and strictures comprising the United States of America," or that white people are "evil," etc., then I'm confident that there is no school system in Connecticut with that curriculum. I am sorry that the right wing propaganda machine, whose lifeblood is to provoke outrage and divide us as Americans, has convinced you that this is a thing that exists to any real degree in the K-12 educational system. On the other hand, if by diversity, equity, and inclusion, you mean exposure to painful historical facts, including books in libraries on a wide range of topics, or some level of recognition that learning environments can be enriched by a diversity of contributions and perspectives, or the aspiration to have all students and community members of a variety of backgrounds feel welcomed and valued, then I would say all school systems in Connecticut support such initiatives.

I tend to stay off social media but come back to look at this board every year or so. Life is much better lived off of social media and the Fox News outrage machine. My real life (kids are still doing really well in Stamford schools, achieving academic excellence while benefitting from the very real diversity of this town; weekday family dinners; weekends cheering with the rest of the parents on the sidelines of the baseball field, or else exploring the wonderful natural diversity of the region as a family (we like to hike)) looks nothing like what those promoting the culture wars want you to believe. It's not so scary!

Old 02-01-2022, 08:24 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec38 View Post
I am obtuse and tend to need specifics rather than broad strokes labels or slogans. What do you mean by diversity, equity, and inclusion? If the issue is, are kids being taught to "dismantle all of the systems and strictures comprising the United States of America," or that white people are "evil," etc., then I'm confident that there is no school system in Connecticut with that curriculum. I am sorry that the right wing propaganda machine, whose lifeblood is to provoke outrage and divide us as Americans, has convinced you that this is a thing that exists to any real degree in the K-12 educational system. On the other hand, if by diversity, equity, and inclusion, you mean exposure to painful historical facts, including books in libraries on a wide range of topics, or some level of recognition that learning environments can be enriched by a diversity of contributions and perspectives, or the aspiration to have all students and community members of a variety of backgrounds feel welcomed and valued, then I would say all school systems in Connecticut support such initiatives.

I tend to stay off social media but come back to look at this board every year or so. Life is much better lived off of social media and the Fox News outrage machine. My real life (kids are still doing really well in Stamford schools, achieving academic excellence while benefitting from the very real diversity of this town; weekday family dinners; weekends cheering with the rest of the parents on the sidelines of the baseball field, or else exploring the wonderful natural diversity of the region as a family (we like to hike)) looks nothing like what those promoting the culture wars want you to believe. It's not so scary!
You might have come in and just looked at some of the latest posts on here. I tend to do that too.

If you look at the OP's (Loreleibear) #22 I think you will get a better idea of what she/he is looking for. After I saw post #22 I got a better understanding of what the OP wants. I replied to the OP with my post of #37. Go look at #22 and #37 post and I think you will understand the OP is not brainwashed by a propaganda machine.

For the record I am an artist/musician and an Independent that leans to the left.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:38 AM

6,902 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:
Maybe that was a Queens, Seattle or Portland school district, or maybe LAUSD I don't know. I'd be shocked if that happened in CT. CT loves it's white population. Loves it to death are you kidding. You know it, I know it, we all do. This shouldn't be a concern for the OP. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut