Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 06:20 AM

6,969 posts, read 3,799,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
If you want to have some fun when you're out and about in greenwich, Westport, Darien, or some other wealthy CT enclave ONLY SPEAK SPANISH. BONUS POINTS IF YOU'RE KIDS SPEAK SPANISH TOO. You'll learn how much DEI has been adopted.
MrG is absolutley right. Hundred percent. Heed his warning.
In Darien, Greenwich and NC if you speak spanish in public you're immediately handed a broom or mop and told to get to work. It's assumed you know how to choke start a backpack blower upon request. Coming out or identifying as latino is a game changer for richest CT where you're veiwed as "The Help". Your kids in school will be viewed as kids of the Help or the free lunch kids. "Hey look, it's those free lunch kids". It's the way it is in goldest plate CT and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.
It may have the opposite consequences of what you would expect from DEI included program. Tread carefully.

Old 02-05-2022, 06:26 AM

11,317 posts, read 18,931,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loreleibear View Post
At my kids’ school, after they instituted their DEI program a few years ago, they did things like “decolonizing” the school library’s bookshelves (removing books they saw as politically incorrect and replacing them with more correct ones), or sending out messages to parents about how the school refuses to recognize Thanksgiving because it celebrates genocide, or changing the school uniform so that it’s now gender neutral. Every week it’s something else.

No one’s saying that schools shouldn’t teach about the holocaust or slavery or Jim Crow. They did prior to DEI and they’ll continue to, as they should.

But DEI is highly politicized. Maybe you don’t see it, and that’s fine. But why not use a different acronym, like C.M.I.? (Color-blindness, Merit, Individuality) I suspect they wouldn’t do such loony things at my kids’ school if this acronym were part of their mission statement.
I will agree with you that some things can go too far. I am all for the removal of Confederate statues in town squares and the flag from state capitol buildings (I see it of the equivalent of modern Germany doing the same with Hitler and other Nazi figures something they have never done and would consider to be unthinkable) but I think removing the Roosevelt statue in NYC or going after Washington or Jefferson takes it too far (I am convinced if they lived today they would be all for civil rights and are simply a product of their times).

In that vein I completely agree with you about the Thanksgiving action (the uniforms overdo it too but I see that action as harmless and relatively unnoticeable) but I'm curious what books they banned?

Old 02-05-2022, 08:12 AM

35,003 posts, read 57,095,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loreleibear View Post
I brought up my race in response to the previous poster’s assumption that I would feel uncomfortable around Latinos in Greenwich which is laughable to me because I am Latina. What I’m uncomfortable with are preachy people who are obsessed with race and insinuate that others are racist if we don’t buy into your particular brand of identity politics. Schools should be 100% color blind. Teaching history is a different matter and of course racism should be discussed and then so should its antidote: color blindness.
If there is any state where you won’t find “preachy” people, it’s Connecticut. It is VERY evident that people here respect other peoples privacy and beliefs. In fact it is so evident many outsiders mistake it for coldness and unfriendliness. It’s not. The same goes for it’s education system. As I suggested before it might be best for you to contact the school to find out more about their DEI program. Hopefully it will meet with your desires. Again wish you the best of luck. Jay

Old 02-05-2022, 08:15 AM

35,003 posts, read 57,095,967 times
I’ve given this thread several chances to return to topic and stay there. It keeps going off topic though. Since the OP has received multiple answers to their questions, I’m closing the thread. Thank you everyone for your responses. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut